Clubplanet Nightlife Community

we're not that far behind

Guest bcnjunkie

Guest bcnjunkie

I know many negative people post on this board and do nothing more than bash our city. In fact a lot of the music (even European) is heard here before a lot of places. For example, how long have we been hearing Junior Jack's "Stupididsco" ? It's already an anthem on the Space Terrace or everywhere in fact !, well, the official release date of that track was June 21, 2004. "Dreams" just got released to the public, we have been hearing that track for a while now... we are actually ahead of the game ! we may lack in some styles but then again we're a medium city but slowly we're getting there and we finally arrive, we do it in grand style... clubs like Crobar and Space are rare

Guest trancelator

Werd! The fact that you can party past 2 am is rare in itself. We are fortunate to be living in an area with a great climate, great parties and awesome music.

Guest mikepayne

LOL. I just downloaded Stupidisco to see what track you were talking about, I can't believe that was just released. I feel like I've been hearing that track for a year already. :D

Guest eKiTeL

sorry I can't accept that, Miami is way behind, Stupidisco is just a rip off of Dave Armstrong's "Make Your Move" in more forward thinking cities you'll hear the full strength original version rather than the watered down Junior Jack prog version that sucks, this style of generic funky progressive house is nothing special, it's not fresh, it doesn't show that Miami is ahead of the game, it's way behind... so now who's playing Franz Ferdinand here? nobody, because the scene is too far behind

or maybe I'm wrong, please feel free to try to prove it, nothing personal here, just like to discuss music, especially when I think I know what I'm talking about.... ;D

Guest pod

See, that is the fucking problem. People whine and moan about their favorite genre not getting represented in town, and automatically we are "behind".

Behind what? Who is "ahead"?. Just because some city plays Estonian techno disco drum n breaks it does not mean they are ahead. It means they play Estonian techno disco drum n breaks in that city, and there are fans of that specific genre.

That doesn't make them ahead of us though. What makes a genre ahead? Ahead how? Just because some snooty bobbleheads say so? I could say we're ahead because we have a big house scene, but it amounts to the same thing...the only way a city can be "ahead" in nightlife I think is from a technical and service perspective, which in that case Miami is way ahead of the curve with clubs like Space, crobar, and Nocturnal.

Each city has a unique charachter and quality to it's nightlife scene.

Guest mikepayne

I'd like to start hearing some Ewan Pearson or Eric Prydz shit get played. Good shit. Hey Ekitel, you should check them out if you haven't already.

Guest tres-b

Each city has a unique charachter and quality to it's nightlife scene.

And others like my current town of Atlanta closes at 2:30 and has Zero in the realm of unique character or quality to nightlife. As a Florida native, let me tell you that the grass is greener in Miami.

Guest eKiTeL

when I say "ahead" I mean in terms of taste and style, not about some specific sub-genres, I mean as in further along in one of the many directions in which dance music has been heading, I'm not talking about a serious intellectual process of technical musical evolution either, I just mean that people get bored of some styles after a while and want to move on to hear something fresher, this process seems to be kind of slow going around here

Guest bcnjunkie

last year E-samba was almost simultaneously being heard here and in Ibiza (wher it was a huge hit), Dreams which is actually a remake from it's original release in 1993 is known to almost anybody here, rocking music also recently released was almost an anthem here and those are European releases (not to mention American releases). Plus our local producers like Shawn Rudnick (you know how many big names carry SR's productions in their bags ?), if you take a look at Circo Loco's CD from this year you will find Shawn's productions ! Look at the people that have Miami their home Gramma Funk, Danny T. (I know he will go back to NY but hey he's producing here), Ben Grassini and long time resident John Julius Knight and Brian Tappert. Yes, in the bigger cities like NY, London or Tokyo you will find a bigger selection (It's only natural they're huge avant garde citites) however, you will hear music here that's being played simultaneously there. And what I mean by ahead of the game I don't mean Amsterdam or Chicago, but ona world wide scale, we're not that bad, in fact we're pretty good !

Guest eKiTeL

I'd like to start hearing some Ewan Pearson or Eric Prydz shit get played. Good shit. Hey Ekitel, you should check them out if you haven't already.

I love the Ewam Pearson remix of Ladytron's evil, it's been out for like 2 years now, and still sounds great

I've been hearing a lot of Eric Prydz records online, I can't remember what any of them sound like, I believe they weren't bad, but I didn't buy any

Guest mikepayne

I love the Ewam Pearson remix of Ladytron's evil, it's been out for like 2 years now, and still sounds great

I've been hearing a lot of Eric Prydz records online, I can't remember what any of them sound like, I believe they weren't bad, but I didn't buy any

The Ewan Pearson remix of Seelenluft's Manila is the song of the moment for me right now. That shit is massive. Even makes me want to dance in my car, and that's unusual. :) He's got an awesome ability to make really clean shit sound dirty, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. His remix of Goldfrapp - Strict Machine is also pretty good.

As far as Eric Prydz... check out a track by him called Call on Me. It samples the old ass 80s track Valerie by Steve Winwood. Awesome track.

Guest eKiTeL

last year E-samba was almost simultaneously being heard here and in Ibiza (wher it was a huge hit), Dreams which is actually a remake from it's original release in 1993 is known to almost anybody here, rocking music also recently released was almost an anthem here and those are European releases (not to mention American releases). Plus our local producers like Shawn Rudnick (you know how many big names carry SR's productions in their bags ?), if you take a look at Circo Loco's CD from this year you will find Shawn's productions ! Look at the people that have Miami their home Gramma Funk, Danny T. (I know he will go back to NY but hey he's producing here), Ben Grassini and long time resident John Julius Knight and Brian Tappert. Yes, in the bigger cities like NY, London or Tokyo you will find a bigger selection (It's only natural they're huge avant garde citites) however, you will hear music here that's being played simultaneously there. And what I mean by ahead of the game I don't mean Amsterdam or Chicago, but ona world wide scale, we're not that bad, in fact we're pretty good !

ok ok I'm not complaining, it could be worse, I'm sure the scene here is better that someplace like Syracuse New York, but really SR is more of an executive producer, Grassini is a talented professional, but nothing ground breaking

but you know there are so many forward thinking European artists whose world tours never touch Miami, though they may have dates in places like Cleveland Ohio, there people are poor and freezing their asses off, so they need some good music to brighten up their lives, here the weather is beautiful and everyone is rich! (well at least they like to pretend like they're rich) and so they really couldn't care about hearing music that you might need to think about just a tiny bit in order to get it, that's the real scenario, I could say "problem" but it's just reality

Guest lyrik

The Ewan Pearson remix of Seelenluft's Manila is the song of the moment for me right now. That shit is massive. Even makes me want to dance in my car, and that's unusual. :) He's got an awesome ability to make really clean shit sound dirty, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. His remix of Goldfrapp - Strict Machine is also pretty good.

As far as Eric Prydz... check out a track by him called Call on Me. It samples the old ass 80s track Valerie by Steve Winwood. Awesome track.

I got a chance to watch the Eric Prydz video...and I try not to hate but that track is just whack and just another piece of forgettable disposble music that has a shelf life of maybe 2 months.

Guest vaughan
so now who's playing Franz Ferdinand here? nobody, because the scene is too far behind

I am! (but in my car... because we're different from the other kids)

;D

Guest mikepayne

I got a chance to watch the Eric Prydz video...and I try not to hate but that track is just whack and just another piece of forgettable disposble music that has a shelf life of maybe 2 months.

Hehehe... Well, I guess I have a weakness for those tracks. I like the LC remix of Photograph as well. It's just important to not play it out. :)

I've never heard Call on Me in a club yet, but I'd imagine I'd be jammin' if I ever did.

Guest eKiTeL

there was a THOMAS BANGALTER remix of "call on me" that just takes the chorus and loops it over and over and over again, it's kind of funny, I wouldn't play it out except maybe as a dj tool in Techno set

Eric Kitel......man you need a gig somewhere ........ so you can start playing your vanguardist next level sound you are talking about............ I guess there is something to complaint about everyday....but about the scene? ..there are millions of young people around the world that would love to be here in Miami and enjoy the party, the beautiful people and yes the music the sounds of electronica that are so scarce in 95% of the cities of America....... most of the people on this board learned and moved here, 'cause we aren't so far behind........amen.... and don't rebutt my post, I am too lazy to answer back........amen

Guest eKiTeL

Eric Kitel......man you need a gig somewhere ........ so you can start playing your vanguardist next level sound you are talking about............

actually I'm not talking about a "vanguardist next level sound" that's just you assumprion... what I an talking about is the sound of now, instead of the sound of yesterday, what I play is very accessible good time party music, if you want "vanguardist next level sound " then wait for the next Bill Patrick or Dennis Rogers show, the stuff they play is out of this world, and way too pretentious for my taste

anyway this is just a music discussion, like I said I might be wrong, so don't take shit so seriously, even if millions of clueless american's come here for club music, there are also millions of Justin Timberlake fans in America, so I guess that is supposed to prove that JT makes great music or something?

sorry I can't accept that, Miami is way behind, Stupidisco is just a rip off of Dave Armstrong's "Make Your Move" in more forward thinking cities you'll hear the full strength original version rather than the watered down Junior Jack prog version that sucks, this style of generic funky progressive house is nothing special, it's not fresh, it doesn't show that Miami is ahead of the game, it's way behind... so now who's playing Franz Ferdinand here? nobody, because the scene is too far behind

or maybe I'm wrong, please feel free to try to prove it, nothing personal here, just like to discuss music, especially when I think I know what I'm talking about.... ;D

And Dave stole it from THE POINTER SISTERS "Dare Me" :)

Guest pod

But what makes a style or taste "ahead"?

I can understand ahead in terms of tracks coming out, but what makes a style "ahead"?

Guest eKiTeL

And Dave stole it from THE POINTER SISTERS "Dare Me" :)

thank you! I was waiting for someone to tell me where that sample actually came from

so I can't really say Dave was more original with it, but his use is just more straightforward, not necessarily

Guest eKiTeL

But what makes a style or taste "ahead"?

I can understand ahead in terms of tracks coming out, but what makes a style "ahead"?

I don't know I thought you were the one who started using the word "ahead" in this thread, sometimes when something gets so far behind it actually get ahead, as in retro.... it's just a matter of aesthetics, no real logical explanation, except like I said people get bored and want something fresh, now I can't tell you exactly what makes people perceive something as being fresh, there's no way to conclusively define it in purely rational terms

maybe I should just quit while I'm ahead :-X

Guest pod

I didn't start the term ahead :)

Fresh works though. But fresh to us is stale to someone else, and vice versa.

What I hate is "ready"...like somehow a musical form is special and only certain people (namely bobbleheads) can listen to it.

Guest JustDade

when I say "ahead" I mean in terms of taste and style, not about some specific sub-genres, I mean as in further along in one of the many directions in which dance music has been heading, I'm not talking about a serious intellectual process of technical musical evolution either, I just mean that people get bored of some styles after a while and want to move on to hear something fresher, this process seems to be kind of slow going around here

When you say "in terms of taste and style", you're talki8ng about your personal tastes. The problem with that is that they're your opinions and probably differ from those of others. There are always a few "underground" music heads that will never be satisfied with what's being played...no matter who plays it.