Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ichiro becomes MLB all time hits king!

Guest swirlundergrounder

Guest swirlundergrounder

My homeboy Ichiro Suzuki of the Seattle Mariners became the MLB all time hits leader last night by hitting his 259th hit of the year breaking George Sislers 84 year old record of 257 hits......Wow! Who knows when or if ever again someone else will surpass the mark that Ichiro has set. and he still has 2 more games left in the season to add on to his record mark....

Guest slamminshaun

It's sad he won't get the same attention as American baseball players have received when they've broken records. Ex: Nolan Ryan, Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, etc....I think Ichiro is absolutely amazing!!

Guest swirlundergrounder

It's sad he won't get the same attention as American baseball players have received when they've broken records. Ex: Nolan Ryan, Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, etc....I think Ichiro is absolutely amazing!!

I don't know..Ichiro does get a lot of attention. He got a lot of attention from baseball insider when he was playing in Japan..When Bobby Valentine was over there managing a Japan team, he said that Ichiro was one of the "top 5 players in the World" at that time..

Plus the players that you mentioned borke their records pretty close to being in the league 20 years with exception to McGwire (How long did he play for? 16 years)...Plus those reocrds are big as well....

This hits record was almost as elusive as the home run record of Roger Maris..

But if you think Ichiro will somehow be forgotten, this hits recordd will stand for a long time.

So now he is one of I think 2 players to earn the MVP and Rookie of the year in the same year and now he has this record. I don't know if he'll ever bat .400 ball becuase he has so many appearances at the plate as the lead off man..

We'll see....

Guest JMT

this got a good amount of press. in seattle he is a king. the paper here had an ichiro hit count leading up to him breaking the record. the fact he cant speak english might be keeping him from doing the talk shows, but its not because he isnt american.

if someone's opinion is that he is getting slighted, its more because this was a somewhat obscure record... how many people even know of the guy who held it prior? (it didnt belong to a legend like Ruth or Dimaggio.) in baseball home runs and strikeouts do get more interest, as do records that take a career to break. if he goes on to break Rose's all time hit record, it will be huge. but i dont think nationality has that much to do with it.