Clubplanet Nightlife Community

FOX admits posting fake Kerry story!

::) What a shocker!

WASHINGTON (AFP) - An official at Fox News Channel said that one of its political reporters has been disciplined for posting a fake news item on its website about Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites).

Paul Schur, a spokesman for the network, said Fox's chief political correspondent Carl Cameron had been disciplined for posting an item on FoxNews.com that included several made-up quotes attributed to Kerry.

"Carl has been reprimanded," Schur said Sunday, defining further comment.

The article alleged to cover a post-debate rally by Kerry at which the Massachusetts senator was purported to gush over his "metrosexual" appearance.

"Didn't my nails and cuticles look great? What a good debate!" the article by the Cameron read, purportedly quoting Kerry after the event.

"Women should like me! I do manicures," the story also quotes Kerry as telling the crowd.

The article also has the Democratic candidate contrasting himself to US President George W. Bush (news - web sites)

"I'm metrosexual -- he's a cowboy," Cameron quoted Kerry as saying.

Officials for Fox, which has been criticized for being biased towards Bush's Republican party, decline to explain how the spoof article ended up on the network's website.

A statement by Fox on the website Sunday apologized for the article, saying it was a joke.

"Foxnews.com erred ... on Friday, posting an item purporting to contain quotes attributable to Kerry," the statement read.

"The item was based on a reporters partial script that had been written in jest and should not have been posted or broadcast. Foxnews.com also regrets that error, which occurred because of fatigue and bad judgment, not malice."

US media quoted a statement by the Kerry campaign's spokesman, Phil Singer, saying Fox was right to own up to the gaffe.

"Fox is doing the right thing by admitting its mistake and correcting the record," Singer told the New York Times in an article published Sunday.

"George Bush (news - web sites) would be well-served to heed the lesson and admit to his own mistakes," Singer said.

and i am sure O Reilly will have some sly way of saying "Fox was framed or something like that"

That's IF he brings it up at all....knowing him...doubt it!

Guest JMT

yeah O Reilly is a crusader of real journalism....

correct, since he is NOT a journalist at all, and would resent being called one. and he actually said that on a show last week. he is an editorialist. i dont see how people cant seem to grasp the difference.

Guest web_norah

if he isnt a journalist....then what the hell is he doing at Fox? presenting music videos? dancing? prancing?

editorialist..... ???

if you're on TV presenting an op-ed show, you're a journalist, if he chooses to label himself editorialist, just because maybe that makes him appear like the cool-guy that's his choice but botton line is -O Reilly is a journalist

Guest JMT

if he isnt a journalist....then what the hell is he doing at Fox? presenting music videos? dancing? prancing?

editorialist..... ???

if you're on TV presenting an op-ed show, you're a journalist, if he chooses to label himself editorialist, just because maybe that makes him appear like the cool-guy that's his choice but botton line is -O Reilly is a journalist

no, he represents HIS opinions. thats not a journalist. a journalist reports the news OBJECTIVELY. how can you not see the difference? never does O reilly pretend to be reporting solely on facts. its ALL opinion, often pompous.

from his mouth last week....

"i am not a journalist."

Guest web_norah
"Other interview news shows are guest-driven," says Emmy award-winning broadcast journalist Bill O'Reilly. "'The O'Reilly Factor' is driven by me. I will not stand for 'spin.' I look for guests who will stand up and verbally battle for what they believe in."

so he isnt a journalist. right

that was taken from the Fox website. i didnt see editorialist anywhere...

Guest JMT

after seeing his opinionated show, only an idiot would fail to realize they are using that term loosely in reference to him.

how many times do you see reporters use the word "I" when speaking about the news? and how many argue with interviewed guests?

Guest LeVeL

after seeing his opinionated show, only an idiot would fail to realize they are using that term loosely in reference to him.

how many times do you see reporters use the word "I" when speaking about the news? and how many argue with interviewed guests?

Very true John, I noticed that Bill O' Reilly, was n't a journalist years ago, only an idiot would think that. But I guess some people dont get it like you or I. ::)