Clubplanet Nightlife Community

VH1 And You Don't Stop: 30 Years of Hip Hop

Guest web_norah

Guest Seb

I think its interesting how they showed on last night's episode that Hip Hop originally started with the DJ and the MC was only an accesary. I think a lot of Hip Hop heads don't know that and its good for them to see them to be educated on how it all began.

Guest web_norah

yeah thats why i brought this up. there is a lot to be learned about the world of hip hop, and you dont need to be a fan at all.

it is on again right now, a repeat of part two from last night with in depth interviews with Run DMC.

It is so funny when DMC talsk about the first time he heard the original " WalkThis Way" and thought it was hill billy music, but he went on to repect and like it.

Of course I loved the backfround info on the Beasties influence,

Guest Cosmigonon

I love the part when they start explaining how they began making longer versions of the songs so the music would seem endless; how they began cutting the good part of the song, or "break", and how they made it longer by smapling it over and over again. and also how there waas this guy who would only play anothe r record after the other, and this other dj actually started matching the beat of the next record to that of the prior one.

Guest web_norah

i was just wondering... why didn't they show MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and Tone Loc? ???

uhm probably because all of them were mostly either one hit wonders, over-hyped, had no record label of their own and werent innovative....the only innovative thing about Hammer were his funny pants and the fact that he spoke of Oakland, CA.

NWA, Snoop, and Run DMC / Beastie Boys, Russell Simmons they all founded successful record labels and created a rapping style that was copied and followed ....they set the tone and really put hip hop in the forefront.

Guest Cosmigonon

i was just wondering... why didn't they show MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and Tone Loc? ???

uhm probably because all of them were mostly either one hit wonders, over-hyped, had no record label of their own and werent innovative....the only innovative thing about Hammer were his funny pants and the fact that he spoke of Oakland, CA.

NWA, Snoop, and Run DMC / Beastie Boys, Russell Simmons they all founded successful record labels and created a rapping style that was copied and followed ....they set the tone and really put hip hop in the forefront.

Yeah, but still in those days the hammer and vanilla were HUGE, they were everywhere, so I don't think it's fair, just because they're the butt of jokes today, it doesn't mean they were the "in" thing, back in those days.

Guest web_norah

they may have been huge, so is Nelly and 50 Cent but this documentary is a HISTORY of hip hop. not who was huge. and if you feel so strong about them being on the documentary, write an email to the producers ::)

i just dont see them being part of the history of hip hop. i've said this before, you can sell 10000000 records but that doesnt mean you're going to be part of a bigger movement in music....or change the course of it.

Guest Cosmigonon

They were a big part of hip-hop going mainstream. Nobody wants to remember them , but everybody was wearing the same clothes, the same haircuts, dancing the same way everywhere, only they're ashamed of it and prefer to just ignore it, hoping it will go away... :-X

Guest Cosmigonon
if you feel so strongly about them being on the documentary, write an email to the producers

what are they gonna do, make a new one? ::)

I don't want them to, I'm just making a comment about it

Guest web_norah

i produce a show and believe it or not, when someone offers something constructive and valid, i listen for future shows.

and since none of your choices were taken into consideration - there must be a reason *why*

Guest LeVeL

I just love how they spoke about Rakim, that man there deserves a lot of credit. Also how they spoke about 2Pac that man led the way to what Hip Hop has become today he did better,fresher, with innovative lyriks that made you believe!!

Ever since Pac died Hip Hop is not the same to me.

Guest ddg

all eyez on me is the greatest double disc of all time...outkast and 2pac are the only rap that i will throw into the cd player....

Guest LeVeL

all eyez on me is the greatest double disc of all time...outkast and 2pac are the only rap that i will throw into the cd player....

Yeah dogg...I let both discs ride on "the All Eyez On Me LP" and I let all the songs jam. But his better work was the ones we never got to really hear, if that man would of been alive who knows what direction the Rap Game would of headed.

I also love Big's "Ready to Die LP" thats another slammer.

Guest durrtylexx

I was never a Pac fan..I only liked Hail Mary, Dear Momma and Shoot em up...

I was more into Biggie Pac was ok..I have never liked thugged west coast rap..except for N.W.A or Compton's Most Wanted..I grew up listening to Rakim, The Pharcyde, Tribe, Del the Phunky Homosapian, KRS-1, All native tounges..Rap died once Puffy exploited it..then my heart broke.. :'(

Guest LeVeL

I was never a Pac fan..I only liked Hail Mary, Dear Momma and Shoot em up...

I was more into Biggie Pac was ok..I have never liked thugged west coast rap..except for N.W.A or Compton's Most Wanted..I grew up listening to Rakim, The Pharcyde, Tribe, Del the Phunky Homosapian, KRS-1, All native tounges..Rap died once Puffy exploited it..then my heart broke.. :'(

Man what a shame...there are a lot of jams that Pac sung that weren't thugged out....the man just spoke the truth of his life. I dont think nobody connected with his listeners enough like Tupac did. Party jams are party jams but what Tupac's songs were so good that you can listen to them when your up donw and anywhere in between. There are there for you to pick too many hits

Guest ddg

Yeah dogg...I let both discs ride on "the All Eyez On Me LP" and I let all the songs jam. But his better work was the ones we never got to really hear' date=' if that man would of been alive who knows what direction the Rap Game would of headed.

I also love Big's "Ready to Die LP" thats another slammer.

[/quote']

honestly..never was a huge fan of biggie..my fav track of his was with bone thugs..notorious thugs..and cuz its uptempo....no one IMO could go with the beat like 2pac though...fast or slow....

shorty wanna be a thug...... :o

wonder why the call you bitch.... :o :o

Guest durrtylexx

I was more into The Roots, Common, Gang Starr, Company Flow, EPMD,Black Moon, Smith & Wesson groups with real lyrics..PAC was just for wanna be thugs, dont get me wrong he could spit and had lyrics, but what he spoke about was not what I was into..I was never into popping Crystal and I didnt grow up in the ghetto..Lyrics and beats were what I cared for.

Guest LeVeL

shorty wanna be a thug...... :o

wonder why the call you bitch.... :o :o

ahhhh you brought some memories dogg....I remember dedicating, " i wonder why they call you bitch" to some honey back in the days.

But seriously D you have to listen to that "ready to Die LP" especially number 6.