Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Vice Presidential Debate

Guest trancepriest

Guest trancepriest

Dick Cheny looks way more Presidential than George Bush. He's doing a better job too. Senator Edwards is doing a good job.. but psychologically because of Dick Cheney's age & position he looks more official. Edwards is holding ground... but not clobbering... like how Kerry clobbered Bush.

Senator Edwards did make a good rebuttal of Dick Cheneys attack on his record. I thought it was a good attack on Edwards.. until Edwards talked about his record... lol... He voted against a Martin Luther King day... lol... damn... I can't believe Dick Cheney exposed himself like that.. now he looks like a racist and definitely not distinquished... perhaps distinquished in being prejudiced.

In the second half... Edwards is shining. The domestic issues give Edwards a distinct edge. Also it was good how Edwards talked about their plan for Iraq. I think its a good idea to train Iraqi troops overseas. But it just highlights how insecure the situation in Iraq is under Bush/Cheney.

Edwards is good with timing... especially rebutting the previous topic on a new topic.. and still having enough time to answer the new question. And he answers questions thoroughly.

As the debate goes on.. Dick Cheney does look less presidential. It's amazing to see how knowledgeability creates respect. Cheney just doesn't look knowledgeable as the debates goes on. He doesn't have a plan.

Beautiful eloquent closing by Senator Edwards. That glow of America is flickering.. and I see it.

Guest siuol_leahcim

Cheney definitely was more well spoken and more "Presidential" than Bush. I'd rather see him than Bush as our leader.

Guest Seb

Cheney definitely was more well spoken and more "Presidential" than Bush. I'd rather see him than Bush as our leader.

Don't say that. Cheney is the root of all evil. Bush is just a figure head while Cheney is the brains behind the operations. He scares me the most.

Guest LeVeL

Edwards hands down wont the debate....he kept on bringing up the issues the people care about and when he questioned Bush/Cheney administration, Cheney would tend to not answer the questions. Edwards was questioned but he went back and defended himself. It was close but Edwards won it he seemed less political and more of a nice guy.

Guest JMT

even Hellen Keller could see Dick "won."

Kerry took Bush, Cheney took Edwards.

Cheney wiped his ass with Edwards most of the debate. Edwards repeated himself on so many of the questions, you could tell he had a few "catch-all" rehearsed lines and nothing more for some answers, mostly DIRECT quotes that Kerry said. He has little personalty, but Dick's vast intelligence showed up in spades, and I was never a big fan of his.

the biggest line of the night, to paraphrase Cheney - 'I oversee congress each week, and this is the first time ive met you'. Ouch.

Edwards went off on tangents very often, didnt answer the questions asked to him on more than one occasion, and the crowd EVEN LAUGHED about it when the mod sarcastically pointed it out! He acted like a lawyer most of the time with his manerisms. he was clearly outmatched with his weak material. he did shine at a few times, but it was mostly rhetoric.

chalk it up for Dick.

and the instant polls afterward agree.

the biggest line of the night, to paraphrase Cheney - 'I oversee congress each week, and this is the first time ive met you'.

Snap!

Great line... Too my bad my Tivo decided to record the second half of the Yankee disaster instead of the debate (two kicks in the groin for the night). I have to say though, whether you like his views or not, if you think that the President might be in need of a good support staff because he's not "smart enough" to handle it on his own (obvious statement, just for some reason apparently Bush needs to be able to do everything himself), you have to gain comfort knowing that there are longer-term guys there who have been through this stuff for a while - looking at these issues for a while - advising him every step of the way.

Hard to ever say who "wins" because it's hard to think like an an undecided voter (versus one who is an resident alien and who can't vote :D). The undecideds are all that matters right now - and I'm not convinced that they will be swayed by any real issues that come out of these debates.

i thought cheney did great, i've always thought he was a good speaker. i thought it was really funny when edwards talked about how cheney would be familiar with the issue of gay marriage, and then for a response, cheney just said "thank you for mentioning my family." i also thought it was funny that they both were scribbling notes the whole time. sometimes they'd just strike a big line across the paper.

i don't think either of them answered a single question straight-forward.

Guest web_norah

here is my debate moment; Cheney saying to the moderator that this was the first he heard that that many black women in America had AIDS. Clueless. Cheney, for an entire 90-minutes, only mentioned Bush's name -- that's his running mate, the "president" -- once. They should have called this the "President (Cheney) -- Vice President (Edwards) Debate."

Guest JMT

LMAO! thats why its called the vice presidential debate.

the current admin has approved more money for african AIDS than any before it. there was a thread a few months back.

Guest web_norah

yet a better one...

The two candidates performed true to their highly contrasting characters. Mr Cheney was downbeat and occasionally contemptuous of his opponent, declining to address at all many criticisms involving Halliburton's no-bid contracts in Iraq. Instead he simply pointed the audience to a website - although, embarrassingly, the address he gave - factcheck.com - was incorrect, and linked to an anti-Bush site run by the philanthropist George Soros, rather than to the site he meant to promote, factcheck.org.

Guest JMT

my favorite quote was no quote at all. as in when Edwards didnt even answer the question on Israel and went off on tangents, and afterward the mod moved on and the audience laughed.

Guest ebsbel

I'm from Sweden. I just cant understand that americans even consider electing George Bush as a president. He is obviously stupid, everything he has done has increased the risk of terror and everybody around the world hates americans!

Guest slamminshaun

It was close but Edwards won it he seemed less political and more of a nice guy.

What's being a nice guy have to do with protecting our asses? Edwards should be VP because he smiles more?

Guest endymion

He is obviously stupid, everything he has done has increased the risk of terror and everybody around the world hates americans!

Some of us do get that. Problem is, only about half of us.

The other half like Bush partly because he's stupid. Clinton's biggest liability was always his intelligence. Conservative types who favor top-down authoritarian governments for some reason don't like to see intelligent leaders a the top because they don't feel that intelligent people can be trusted as much as plain simple countryfolk.

Now never mind the fact that we have endless documentation of outright lies that Bush has told us. That doesn't matter. People still like him because he's "honest" and "plainspoken" and charismatic and accessible and all of that.

Guest slamminshaun

I've always said, in fairness to both political parties, that the President does not have the power that people think he (or she....Hillary 2008??) has. When a President "lies" to its people, its not so much that they are lying or misleading as much as it is they themselves were lied to or misled. They're only one person in something that is larger then they are. You'll always have those that think Clinton started conflicts in Africa and Bosnia to keep attention off his Monica problems. There will always be those that think Bush went to war in Iraq to make his rich oil buddies happy. All that stuff is bullet-pointed rhetoric and does not truly give any of them a fair shake. Did Bush LIE about WMD in Iraq? Not really. George Tenet of the CIA said he had proof Saddam had nukes, so what's the guy to do after 3000 of your countrymen were evaporated. George Tenet was hired by Clinton, so he's not exactly in bed with Bush. Ultimately, in the end, it IS the President who must be held accountable for what people under him screwed up....absolutely.

Guest web_norah

leave the american politics to americans.

lots of foreigners care about how "America" plays world police because this nation is the strongest and largest most influential player in many world affairs....so to leave "politics" to "Americans" sounds so egocentric and ignorant.

Guest JMT

I've always said, in fairness to both political parties, that the President does not have the power that people think he (or she....Hillary 2008??) has. When a President "lies" to its people, its not so much that they are lying or misleading as much as it is they themselves were lied to or misled. They're only one person in something that is larger then they are. You'll always have those that think Clinton started conflicts in Africa and Bosnia to keep attention off his Monica problems. There will always be those that think Bush went to war in Iraq to make his rich oil buddies happy. All that stuff is bullet-pointed rhetoric and does not truly give any of them a fair shake. Did Bush LIE about WMD in Iraq? Not really. George Tenet of the CIA said he had proof Saddam had nukes, so what's the guy to do after 3000 of your countrymen were evaporated. George Tenet was hired by Clinton, so he's not exactly in bed with Bush. Ultimately, in the end, it IS the President who must be held accountable for what people under him screwed up....absolutely.

people arent that smart buddy.

thats why high school dropouts hold placards saying things like "Bush Lyed"