Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Satellite Radio

Guest klit

Guest klit

I know they are made for the u.s., but do you think the signal reaches to other countries in north america? It would be very cool if I could bring my radio with me when I travel to haiti or anywhere in north america and still be able to listen to it.

Guest endymion

Sirius and XM are both backed by terrestrial signal repeaters that boost strength around buildings and mountains and in areas where the signal is low. Haiti is way to the edge of the broadcast window for the satellites used by XM and Sirius, and the mountains and the lack of ground repeaters there probably would mean that you would be out of luck.

The solution to this problem is an iPod.

Guest web_norah

i'd love to get a home version of this. i dont drive or use a car so a home-service would be kind of neat....or even a TV with cable access type of thing...

Guest trancelator

XM has the Delphi Roady which you can use at home or in a car. A newer, smaller version has just come out as well. I bought the XM portable stereo for my house and just go back and forth from my car system. I think the EDM programming on XM is great. You can even hear the Radio One's Essential Mix every Saturday night at 10.

Guest trancelator

Definitely the way to go. I often hear dj's I've never heard before and new songs on there before anywhere else. It will even display the artist and the title on the Delphi Roady for you as well. Very convenient.

XM has the Delphi Roady which you can use at home or in a car. A newer, smaller version has just come out as well. I bought the XM portable stereo for my house and just go back and forth from my car system. I think the EDM programming on XM is great. You can even hear the Radio One's Essential Mix every Saturday night at 10.

XM is THE best when it comes to music...their comedy channel rock as well...Sirius is good for sports and talk radio...

Guest slamminshaun

I just got XM a few months back. I love it!! No commericals, and every genre of dance music represented. Absolutely the wave of the future.

Guest trancelator

XM is THE best when it comes to music...their comedy channel rock as well...Sirius is good for sports and talk radio...

Matas, I remember you asked me my opinion of XM before you got it. Glad you like it. I take it you have Sirius? Do you know if you can have both XM and Sirius in a vehicle?

Guest LeVeL

My Car Radio is XM ready and I cant wait to have it connected because I cant stand that 93.1 crap. As soon as Howard starts broadcasting I see other radio shows start to appear .

Guest endymion

I just use the net for this. Satellite radio is pretty neat right now but what's the point once everybody has a net connection everywhere they go? I don't drive much so I'm already there but it won't be long before you'll just pipe net radio stations through your GPRS mobile phone to your wireless Bluetooth headset, or plug headphones into your mobile phone when you want better quality. You'll never think about it, it will just always be there like FM or like satellite radio now.

The next step is combining the iPod and the mobile phone into one little thing that does all of it and also stores your music library (and photos and your PIM data) all in one place.

Matas, I remember you asked me my opinion of XM before you got it. Glad you like it. I take it you have Sirius? Do you know if you can have both XM and Sirius in a vehicle?

i got XM actually...ummm..u can have both, its just a mission...many cars are coming either XM or Sirius ready with the stock radio...u can buy a device that can change one from another (i.e. u have XM and want to get Sirius instead, u buy this adapter and u only receive Sirius)...try going to this website: www.xmfan.com

u can have both...but then u would need two antennas and two adapters for the car, etc....but it CAN be done

Guest pod

Eventually there will be a satellite broadcast standard, and you just merely buy a satellite radio and subscribe to the service you want.

Guest endymion

Eventually there will be a satellite broadcast standard, and you just merely buy a satellite radio and subscribe to the service you want.

Now why would somebody bother to invest in building that?

The standards are there. RTSP. All you need is IP. You can get IP almost anywhere with GPRS and it's getting cheaper and cheaper.

Wireless net radio will be like text messaging soon, just a cheap option that you tack on to your mobile phone bill. Then not long after that it will just be take for granted. The only reason to use satellites is if you can't get to the net some other cheaper way.

Guest guyman1966

I love the NFL package on Sirus. And not to mention Jan '06 HOWARD STERN.

u continue to disappoint me...

I took a break from my car forums just for you. Isnt that enough?

Guest pod

The standard might just be IP via satellite if you think about it.

I can forsee a multi-mode portable device that allows you to select or automatically selects the cheapest method of data transfer based on your location...i.e. you're in the middle of the Arabian desert, it goes direct to a satellite, you get on a plane, it switches to the plane's WiFi (which is routed through it's own method...), you get to the airport and it sniffs out the airport wifi, you go to the hotel, sniff-sniff, on the road in town it picks up mobile GPRS, etc...

You can already manually force your cell phone to switch services if multiple GSM providers are in the area. It all comes down to having access to those networks, obviously. I did it once in the backwoods of the Carolinas, where for some reason my phone wanted to lock onto the local AT & T network, where there was a T-Mobile node nearby as well. I would have had to pay roaming if I just let it go.

Guest trancelator

i got XM actually...ummm..u can have both, its just a mission...many cars are coming either XM or Sirius ready with the stock radio...u can buy a device that can change one from another (i.e. u have XM and want to get Sirius instead, u buy this adapter and u only receive Sirius)...try going to this website: www.xmfan.com

u can have both...but then u would need two antennas and two adapters for the car, etc....but it CAN be done

Thanks for the info, Matas. I have to look into for Stern in '06 but XM is still waaaaay better.

Guest trancelator

The programming is way better. I just looked at the programming on Sirius and XM puts it to shame. The only reason I would get Sirius is for Howard. XM is crushing Sirius right now in terms of subscribers (more than four times as many).

For the NFL, I would listen to ESPN Radio on the way to the game from my house last year. They update you as soon as a team scores so you are updated to the second. Is the NFL on Direct TV not on option for you?

Guest klit

Really? "WAY BETTER"????

How so? They seem very simiar to me.

But I NEED My nfl package.

NFL package and Howard Stern make the difference for me. Music selection is about the same in all areas from what I've heard, but i give the edge to xm on dance music but not by much. Comedy channel is great on both.