Clubplanet Nightlife Community

John Edwards' politicizing Christopher Reeve's Death

Guest slamminshaun

Guest slamminshaun

Check out this quote from John Edwards yesterday:

EDWARDS: Christopher Reeve just passed away, and America just lost a great champion for this cause, somebody who was a powerful voice for the need to do stem cell research and change the lives of people like him, who have gone through a tragedy. Well, if we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk, get up out of that wheelchair and walk again.

Very cheap rhetoric. I understand the stem cell debate, but using this guy's death for political gain is really low.

Guest slamminshaun

Well, bottom line is this is a really pathetic campagin promise. Telling the disabled that if they elect John Kerry, he'll make them walk again. Hallelujiah!!

Guest slamminshaun

Wrong thread, but I suppose putting Farenheit 9/11 on TV the night before the election is ok as Michael Moore is petitioning to do?

Guest obby

I agree....pathetic !!!!!!!! Although a great goal, using Reeves death to help boost their campaign is straight up pathetic.

We finally agree on something.

Guest web_norah

go give Michael Moore your complaints/ comments but the film i am referring to is being aired to make more inflammatory remarks about Kerry --just before the election.

how much more angry and bitter is Bush? people are now calling him FURIOUS GEORGE. and i am loving the polls. he cant debate for his life. he is for a treat on tomorrow's domestic debate and Kerry is going to (once again) take him for the ride of his career.

Guest slamminshaun

go give Michael Moore your complaints/ comments but the film i am referring to is being aired to make more inflammatory remarks about Kerry --just before the election.

how much more angry and bitter is Bush? people are now calling him FURIOUS GEORGE. and i am loving the polls. he cant debate for his life. he is for a treat on tomorrow's domestic debate and Kerry is going to (once again) take him for the ride of his career.

Then why doesn't Michael Moore wait until the election to air his inflammatory flick? The same reason. Look, both sides are guilty of it. I don't agree with it. Check out my "prediction" thread related to the debates. The polls are bogus, and I think I explain why. My arguments are quite simply, incontestable. I agree, Kerry, is absolutely the more skilled debater and domestic issues should propel him ahead.

Guest web_norah

Micheal Moore has no political interests, he is a movies guy with some issues against the government. his Farehheit 9/11 was not his first film or anti government rant, he had Bowling For Columbine and wrote a real interesting book called Stupid White Men....his issues go wayyyyyyyy back - unlike this last minute political stunt against Kerry.

btw see also the Pelosi documentaries on HBO.

Guest slamminshaun

Funny, Michael Moore appears in Peter Deutch's (Democrat candidate for Congress) political ads offering an endorsement and bashing Bush. Why would someone with no political interests endorse a candidate in his TV ad? You offer intelligent, thorough arguments that I enjoy pondering, but not this time.

Guest web_norah

all i am saying is that Moore has been involved in bashing way before Farenheit 9/11 and that he endorsed someone who's running doesnt surprise me....he's not the only one who feels Bush duped the rest of the country.

Guest slamminshaun

Who will be nailed more by the press? John Edwards for saying what he said, or Bush for bringing it up at the debate? WebNorah, you enjoy these spirited threads as much as I do? :P ;D ;)

House Heads for Bush ;)

Guest slamminshaun

i enjoy the debate without insults or personal attacks

not all househeads love Bush though.

Oh yeah? Well, your mama was a trance lover!! :D

Guest obby

I am still laughing at this character.

October surprise. John Kerry will announce to America that he is really the second coming of Jesus Christ.

What else can you assume after a speach like this ???

BeHealed.jpg

Apostle.bmp

RIP Reeves !!!!! :(

Guest endymion

Bill Frist, the guy complaining about Edwards, was quoted saying:

"Stem cell research is promising. The president vigorously promotes adult and embryonic stem cell research, but he does it with an ethical and moral framework."

That strict ethical and moral framework is holding up medical treatments that could be saving our lives when we're older, because the religious right that Bush panders to is so concerned about "Thou shalt not kill". That same strict ethical and moral framework led Bush to invade a country and have a bunch of people killed for money.

So which is worse: greedy imperialistic murder, or continuing to mention Cristopher Reeve as an example of a famous paralyzed guy after his death? Edwards would have to do something really really really wrong for me to change my mind about firing Bush.

Guest JMT

whats worse, twisting truths and creating lies to make points on a message board? whoring out Reeve's name for political gain? or threadjacking?

Guest slamminshaun

If John Kerry is President, will all the people in wheelchairs walk again as he has said? This question is very direct, simple and should not be answered with "Halliburton, 9/11, Blood for Oil, WMD or no WMD, Supreme Court Judges, etc". I don't expect hardline Kerry/Edwards supporters to change their mind, just admit that their guy's mouth is making promises his ass can't cash. What next, if John Kerry is elected, AIDS will be eliminated in two years????

Guest LdySphynx

Can someone remind when Politcians have fought a clean fight ::)...I seem to have forgotten with all the honest Presidents we've had :-\!!!

Guest endymion

JMT implied that I am lying and making things up. Time to put up or shut up.

I don't think that he was referring to Bush lying about WMDs, or Bush lying about an Iraq / al Qaeda connection, or Bush lying about giving reconstruction projects to Iraqi companies after the invasion, or Bush lying about having a plan for what to do after the invasion other than turning the country over to private contractors.

Guest slamminshaun

I made this thread to talk about John Edwards' bluntly stating that disabled people will walk again if they elect John Kerry. If WMD, is the best response one can muster against that argument, then one has no argument. Leave WMD for the WMD thread.

Guest endymion

Fine, fair point, we'll discuss stem cells in this thread.

I plan to live another 40 years at least. Edwards' statement about stem cell research potentially producing treatments that could directly impact me personally in my lifetime is true. You disagree?

The argument against stem cell research from the religious right has been simply "oh it probably won't work anyway". WTF? What the hell kind of science policy is that? Politicians making arbitrary scientific strategy decision to appease chruch folk voters, is what's going on with the Bush policy. His story about his ethical and moral compass falls apart when you flip to the front page of the newspaper and read the Iraq news.