Clubplanet Nightlife Community

John Edwards' politicizing Christopher Reeve's Death

Guest slamminshaun

Guest slamminshaun

I agree with stem cell research. I disagree with giving handicapped people false hope that they WILL walk again if they vote the right way. It wasn't a matter of him saying that stem cell research will potentially give them the ability to throw their wheelchairs away. It's a matter of him saying that they will be able to throw them away if Kerry is elected. It was a careless statement, then he should correct himself and apologize for it.

Guest endymion

Edwards is not acting as a health care provider, he is acting as a policy maker who is trying to make treatments available that could someday save my life by allowing me to replace my heart.

Your "giving people false hope" argument is a fair point but the debate would not even be necessary without baseless opposition by the religious right to stem cell research. If the far right were not pushing forward with their "God does not want you to do stem cell research" argument then there would be no need for the "but look at what the potential payoffs are" argument.

A guy wants to cross the road. A witch doctor pops out of the bushes and demands that he not cross the road because it would be bad ju-ju. "But I need to cross the road to get to my house, could you get out of the way please?" "SILENCE WHITE MAN!! INVOKING SELFISH REASONS NOT GET YOU OUT OF BAD JU-JU!! YOU DEFINITELY NOT CROSSING ROAD NOW DUE TO INSOLENCE!!"

You make about as much sense as that situation. Do you feel so sorry for the hurt feelings of a quadriplegic that you would forgo a replacement heart 30 years from now?

Guest slamminshaun

To reiterate, I agree with stem cell research. Period. This thread was about bogus campaign promises, nothing more. Debating stem cell research should never develop into promising quadriplegics they'll walk again if they just vote the right way.

Guest endymion

This was the quote:

"... if we do the work that we can do in this country, the work that we will do when John Kerry is president, people like Christopher Reeve are going to walk, get up out of that wheelchair and walk again."

Where does that promise a cure for spinal paralysis in four years? Do you really truly think that anybody anywhere other than Rush Limbaugh and Bill Frist took that as a campaign promise to cure spinal paralysis in four years?

If you are determined to identify that as spin then let's look at the greatest spin of all. Mentioning Iraq and al Qaeda in the same sentence in every public address leading up to the invasion, Bush managed to lead people to assume that there was a connection even though he rarely fucked up and directly cited "hard evidence" of connections. He creeps up as close as possible to a lie as you can get without actually lying, but it's like blurting something out in front of a jury and striking it from the record. The jury still remembers you said it even if you only hinted it.

So that statement from Edwards is true, I don't see the problem? Stem cell research could cure spinal paralysis. He did not even imply that it would happen in four years. He does imply that it could happen within the lifetime of people who are currently living with paralysis, which is again true. Too late for Christopher Reeve and I agree that it's just too early to even mention his name, but the controversy over Edwards' statement is pretty silly. Compare it to the "Iraq" "al Qaeda" spin. When Edwards spins, we get new life-saving health care treatments sooner, when Bush spins people die. He had to spin as hard as he could to get us to let him kill the wrong people in the wrong country.

Guest JMT

JMT implied that I am lying and making things up. Time to put up or shut up.

you LIED about kerrys behavior in the first debate video.

Guest endymion

My Tivo didn't have the same video in it that the Bushies were passing around the net.

So whatever happened to the cheat sheet accusations that you jumped on so fully? Those peter out as people like me reviewed the real tapes and didn't see shit?

You brought up a crib sheet at a debate that I still don't even think was there in reply to the accusation that when Bush spins the truth, people die. You must have something better than that.