Clubplanet Nightlife Community

CNN spin on nuclear materials that Bush lost in Iraq

Guest endymion

Guest endymion

The story about the nuclear materials in Iraq that were lost to terrorists due to Bush Administration mismanagement is all over the world. The big story today is that the UN has offered to go back in to clean up the mess after Bush told them that they couldn't do their job, took over their job forcibly, and failed miserably by allowing dangerous nuclear technology to fall into the hands of terrorists.

Here's a collection of articles about that. Most news outlets are carrying the AFP and Reuters headlines on that news wire item, variations on "UN inspectors ready to return to Iraq". The original story is that IAEA head Mohamed el Baradei notified the UN that the nuclear materials were missing.

The CNN story, on the other hand, is "US, Iraq to probe missing N-equipment". What the hell is "N-equipment"?? CNN rightly understands that mentioning "missing NUCLEAR equipment" would freak people out and make them wonder if America is really safer now. Fox News made the US look even more proactive by running the headline "U.S. to Probe Missing Iraq Nuke Materials". Yeah sure, we're the ones who noticed those missing Iraq 'nuke' materials, spin it that way...

IAEA spokesman Mark Gwozdecky was quoted saying that the looting was organized and carried out by "neighboring countries." So does that mean Iran? Syria? Even though it's the UN's official IAEA spokesman going officially on the record as saying that the US has lost control of a bunch of nuclear materials, Fox News is instead carrying a quote from an Iraqi interim government official that the sites are "well-protected", despite hard photographic evidence provided by the IAEA to the contrary.

Obvious partisan spin, just pointing it out.

Guest endymion

CNN and Fox both openly spun that story to make the situation look less like mismanagement and to make the Bush Administration look more proactive.

Guest endymion

These facilities are the dual-use facilities that were being monitored by UN inspectors before the war. They were not WMD programs at the time of the invasion.

We stopped the UN inspectors and invaded. When the UN inspectors were pulled out we did not adequately maintain security at those sites. The dual-use materials have since vanished, the UN inspectors accuse "neighboring countries" of looting the nuclear equipment in an "organized" fashion.

This is what we were trying to prevent. Bush unilaterally took action when the world was telling him that he was fucking up and his mismanagement after that premature action led to a broken arrow.

While Bush was talking out of one side of his mouth about WMD and divvying up Iraq between private contractors who he happened to have connections to, terrorists were carting off entire buildings full of potentially dangerous nuclear materials. ENTIRE BUILDINGS have vanished, how is that not mismanagement?

So then CNN and Fox spin it so that the story doesn't start with the IAEA's notification to the UN complete with photographic evidence. No, their stories start out with the US working happily and productively together with the new Iraqi government to conduct a "full investigation" into what happened, with a quote from an Iraqi puppet official about how the sites are actually "well-protected". The IAEA's notification to the UN includes photos of sites before and after the invasion that clearly show ENTIRE BUILDINGS FULL OF NUCLEAR MATERIALS MISSING and the Fox story runs the "well-protected" quote? That isn't painfully optimistic spin?

Guest endymion

To suggest that CNN would ever spin for a Republican administration is absurd.

EXACTLY!

I am clearly explaining in this thread why I do not think that's absurd at all. Rebuttals other than exclamations are welcome.

Guest LdySphynx

Oh My, have you guys not noticed that all you do is go Back & Forth arguing about Bush & Kerry.

I do not know how you guys knowing so much about politics, don't know the golden rule NO ONE WINS IN POLITICS!!!!

Not Even Us...

I mean no matter who is President these next 4 years or the next The President is always going to Fuck it up somehow I mean he is only human so it is expected.

So please stop going back and forth about this cause no one is ever going to have the same views!!!

Guest endymion

Ms Sphynx I hear you, this is definitely mundane. Fact is though, we're a month away from the most important presidential election in 150 years. This is a huge decision point for the whole world, not just for our country. It's really really really important and totally worth talking about.

Your ability to purchase a house, get another degree, have children, all of those things hinge on decisions made by the president. Not even to mention the people dying.

Guest JMT

Oh My, have you guys not noticed that all you do is go Back & Forth arguing about Bush & Kerry.

I do not know how you guys knowing so much about politics, don't know the golden rule NO ONE WINS IN POLITICS!!!!

Not Even Us...

I mean no matter who is President these next 4 years or the next The President is always going to Fuck it up somehow I mean he is only human so it is expected.

So please stop going back and forth about this cause no one is ever going to have the same views!!!

that is the post of the month, Sphynxy

Guest slamminshaun

Not Even Us...

This is what we enjoy. Beating each other's brains in and improving each other's debate skills. If you've been keeping score, the tag team champions known as the Liberal Demolitiion Crew consisting of JMT and SlamminShaun nailed a DDT Piledriver to the team of Bolsheviks 2004, consisting of TechJunkie and The Saleen, despite outside interference by their manager Web-Norah. Not even Vince McMahon himself can save them.

Guest LdySphynx

And I know all this, but yourself and JMT are not going to change anything by playing Ping Pong ;).

The only we all will be able to make sure we make the future a bright one for our kids and ourselves is by Voting...Which I am proud to say that I recieved my Voter's Registration Card last month.

So I know where i'll be November 2nd, how about everyone else ;D.

Guest slamminshaun

The Saleen and Web Norah have abandoned TechJunkie in the ring to fend for himself....the two were seen limping away together to a PETA meeting. Meanwhile, in the ring....TechJunkie has deliverd a WMD poke to the eye of JMT. JMT counters with a Flip-Flop to the groin....ouch!!

Guest endymion

Ignorance is a trait that Bush exploits in people. He pushes agendas through for special interests using peoples' ignorance. I think that more people should be thinking and talking about the presidential election, not fewer.

It's very very very important, the Supreme Court picks over the next four years alone will decide the direction that our country takes for the next FOURTY YEARS. This is a critically important election no matter what you think about Iraq or politics or politicians in general.

Every American who can vote has a duty to put some thought into the fact that this is the most important election in 150 years, and then to vote their conscience.

Guest JMT

Ignorance is a trait that Bush exploits in people. He pushes agendas through for special interests using peoples' ignorance.

and kerry DOESNT? get real man. what a joke.

Guest endymion

JMT, explain how the Bush stem cell policy makes sense to a person who is not a fundamentalist Christian and who puts any thought into it?

Just as one example.

Or better still, "blah blah Saddam blah blah Osama blah blah" for three months becomes 'well Bush seems pretty certain that Saddam and Osama were working together' in Joe Sixpack's head. Bunch of private contractors Bush is connected to make billions of dollars, Saddam/Osama link turns out to be bogus, Bush just counts on people to forget it all happened and not think too hard about it. Much to my chagrin they comply.

Guest JMT

JMT, explain how the Bush stem cell policy makes sense to a person who is not a fundamentalist Christian and who puts any thought into it?

Just as one example.

i dont understand all of stem cell research myself. how am i supposed to know?

but my answer to you is how does it NOT make sense? his stance is clear to me, thats how he feels. embryos are the begining of a life, yada yada yada. he feels that adult stem cells can be just as useful in a short time, and that the tech does not yet exist to fully rationalize the use of embryos. im not justifying his stance, just stating a fact.

bottom line is i dunno. dont assume i love bush unconditionally. not the case. i dont even agree with him on many issues. i wish we hadnt even gone to iraq. but i think kerry is a major douchebag and i dont like his liberal-extreme following.

Guest slamminshaun

To suggest that CNN would ever spin for a Republican administration is absurd.

your saying that sarcastically right ?

Republicans don't call CNN the Clinton News Network for nothing. CNN is a hardline leftist news organization. Ted Turner sees to it....

Guest slamminshaun

Then why the headline and article slant that make Bush look more proactive and less incompetent?

Maybe because that's the truth? Hard to believe, but maybe, just maybe.....if CNN reports something favorable about a GOP member, then chances are its true. They'll usually bury such reports like the New York Times does.

Guest JMT

because it will look like Bush was on to something in the first place by putting "Iraq" and "Nuclear" in the same sentence.

only an idiot would think they were only going to develop nuclear power for energy! they have oil coming out of their asses. every country over there knows, you have nukes, you dont get messed with and you can start having your way with the people you dont like.

we either fight this war now, or in a decade or so when it might be too late. but then again im sure saddam would be a responsible nuclear dictator...