Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ipod question

Guest klit

Guest klit

Know there's some mac people on here so hopefully can get an answer to this.

K so my brother's got an ipod and it autosyncs with his itunes library whenever he connects it to the computer right. Now if somebody comes over with an ipod and brother wants some songs from the person's ipod, without losing anything in his library or having all the guy's files deleted once he connects his ipod to my brother's computer how does he do it?

Guest endymion

I'm pretty curious about this too but I don't have any friends nearby with iPods. I have been told that I can just jack somebody else's into my PowerBook and dump .mp3 tracks willy nilly, no worries. iTunes tracks it keeps track of correctly apparently. This is all just theory until I see it myself working.

Guest endymion

Okay those utilities are for ripping stuff from an iPod. I get that that's not something you can do without a utility, but the simpler scenario:

If I don't want to pull any stuff of of friend X's iPod, then can I just plug his iPod into my PowerBook and see "Friend X iPod" in iTunes and then drag my playlists from my PowerBook onto his iPod, assuming that the track files are .mp3 and not .aac from iTunes with DRM?

I just want to be able to take a friend's iPod and dump a playlist of mine onto it for them is all.

Tim, I have already searched iPodLounge a while back looking for an answer to this but I'll check again, thanks...

Guest macboy

Okay those utilities are for ripping stuff from an iPod. I get that that's not something you can do without a utility, but the simpler scenario:

If I don't want to pull any stuff of of friend X's iPod, then can I just plug his iPod into my PowerBook and see "Friend X iPod" in iTunes and then drag my playlists from my PowerBook onto his iPod, assuming that the track files are .mp3 and not .aac from iTunes with DRM?

I just want to be able to take a friend's iPod and dump a playlist of mine onto it for them is all.

Tim, I have already searched iPodLounge a while back looking for an answer to this but I'll check again, thanks...

Those apps were in response to your (and klit's) previous question. This is another question altogether, and the short answer, for right now, is I don't know. I believe you can still upload a playlist to another ipod without wiping out the rest of the ipod's music. It's really the downloading from ipod to computer that is disabled. Though I haven't tried it, I'll give it a try with my girl's ipod.

Guest endymion

Cool man, thanks! I appreciate it.

I got my girl a Sony Ericsson T637 like mine instead of an iPod for our anniversary recently cause I wasn't sure WTF was up with that, whether I would be able to load up her iPod for her easily while still using mine or what. She loves music but doesn't want to mess with setting things up. But I'd still like to leave it slaved to her system mainly so that she can add in her own playlists when she does want to, I didn't want to just slave both iPods off of my iTunes.

Seems like it would be a common problem?

Oh and HOLY CRAP, that T637 with a Bluetooth connection to the PowerBook is RIGHTEOUS. Holy crap man. The Salling Clicker popping up my friends' pages in my Address Book as the phone in my pocket is ringing feels like science fiction, SO cool.

The best part is being able to totally control iTunes with my phone when I have guests over without jumping up and nerding out on a PowerBook. Nobody even knows I'm messing with the music and the volume while I'm talking to them, it's like there is just a ghost DJ or the stereo has AI or something.

Guest macboy

The best part is being able to totally control iTunes with my phone when I have guests over without jumping up and nerding out on a PowerBook. Nobody even knows I'm messing with the music and the volume while I'm talking to them, it's like there is just a ghost DJ or the stereo has AI or something.

Yeah, and combine it with an Airport Express if you want to send the music to a stereo on another room, and control iTunes from there. The Salling clicker IS the missing remote for Airport Express. ;D

Guest endymion

Oh man I am all about that Airport Express, that's the next toy. All I need now in a stereo is an Airport Express, a tube amp, and some really nice speakers. I met a girl recently who does really high-end Mac-centric home audio installations like that. Never realized, but you can spend more money on the speakers now since you don't have to buy all of those CD changers and DVD players and random other media machines. The Mac is the media machine.

Hey I just discovered this neat trick during all of my wandering around doing software engineering outside in South Beach. I have a feeling that a lot of PowerBook owners might not ever notice this trick because the option is buried under the accessibility options and if you're not blind or something then you might not explore those options, BUT:

If you're outside with your laptop and you can't quite see the screen because of glare or the Florida sun is just too damned bright or whatever, hold down control, option and the Apple key on the left, tap the '.' key a few times. Artificial OpenGL scene-based contrast adjuster. As the contrast bumps up it takes the window shadows and transparency into account, it looks perfect. Blew my mind. Working on stuff outdoors is much simpler now. The ',' key decreases contrast.

Dude, iSync through Bluetooth to tie the phone and the PowerBook together changes EVERYTHING. I have never had a phone that could even quite sync right even with cables. This thing I just select 'sync' and I don't even have to pull my phone out of my pocket. Holy crap.

And I can't stand how cool it is to open up my Address Book, pick somebody, and select "Send SMS message" and then type the text message on my PowerBook instead of on my little number pad on the phone. Holy chowder, Batman. Bluetooth is cool. I haven't even started to play with sharing my GPRS net connection with my PowerBook yet. I won't be spending much time indoors this whole winter season.

Guest klit

Shoulda mentioned i'm still using windows xp and a pc. Don't want to get the powerbooks now and then open apple.com soon and find out that g5 powerbooks are coming out soon. Any other software you know of?

Guest endymion

If I'm right on my theory about how iTunes and iPods work together then you should be able to just jack in a friend's iPod on a Windows iTunes and have it behave the same way as if it were a Mac. If.

If you want to rip stuff from the iPod then you'll need some utility, don't know of any for Windows offhand but I wouldn't know.

Guest macboy

Shoulda mentioned i'm still using windows xp and a pc. Don't want to get the powerbooks now and then open apple.com soon and find out that g5 powerbooks are coming out soon. Any other software you know of?

G5 powerbooks are not coming out anytime soon. Get a Mac now. But for the time being, go here for your needs:

http://www.zeleksoftware.com/

Guest klit

G5 powerbooks are not coming out anytime soon. Get a Mac now. But for the time being, go here for your needs:

http://www.zeleksoftware.com/

Thanks a lot, this should definately do the trick for me. As for as me getting the mac now, its not yet necassary for me to get a notebook though it would be a big plus. If its gonna be more then 6 months before apple announces a newer powebook then yeah i'll probably get one now, but I heard they talked about a g5 powerbook or new g4 powerbook in macaddict recently so was kinda waiting it out. Let me know if you got any more info on that but thanks a lot for the software link.

Guest klit

I just got my ipod earlier today, but I don't like the type of headphones u gotta stick inside your ear. What are the best headphones to get? Don't need any professional thing like the dj headphones or any of that wireless stuff but would like some great sounding headphones.

Guest endymion

Klit, depends on what you use the iPod for. I hated the in-ear buds that come with the iPod too at first but I have realized that they are the perfect thing for casual walking-around-town iPod use because they allow in environmental noise to keep you from getting run over by taxi cabs that you don't hear coming.

My Dad wanted bigger bass and didn't care about blocking out the world so he got the other style, the kind that plug into your ears like ear plugs. His are third-party, don't remember the manufacturer. They have 9mm drivers in them and the difference in sound quality between those and the ones that let in ambient noise is astonishing. The bass response is sooooo much more severe. I am getting some of those soon because they sound as good as any DJ headphones that I have ever plugged into my iPod.

I have a guest for the weekend who is bringing an iPod. I'm going to test out what we were talking about, to see if I can take my playlists and drop them onto her iPod without deleting everything else she's already got on it.

Guest klit

Klit, depends on what you use the iPod for. I hated the in-ear buds that come with the iPod too at first but I have realized that they are the perfect thing for casual walking-around-town iPod use because they allow in environmental noise to keep you from getting run over by taxi cabs that you don't hear coming.

My Dad wanted bigger bass and didn't care about blocking out the world so he got the other style, the kind that plug into your ears like ear plugs. His are third-party, don't remember the manufacturer. They have 9mm drivers in them and the difference in sound quality between those and the ones that let in ambient noise is astonishing. The bass response is sooooo much more severe. I am getting some of those soon because they sound as good as any DJ headphones that I have ever plugged into my iPod.

I have a guest for the weekend who is bringing an iPod. I'm going to test out what we were talking about, to see if I can take my playlists and drop them onto her iPod without deleting everything else she's already got on it.

Well my thing with the in-ear thing is just the comfort. After a while I gotta take it out. I am still gonna keep those headphones for when im walking around or at the gym. The new headphones I want is for when I'm in the mountains or by the beach and just feel like listening to music and disconnecting. I'm looking for great sound and comfort which means no going inside my ears.

As far as the test just make sure she has a backup of the files cause I think without the utilities macboy mentioned you may lose the music if u have it set to automatic syncing.

Guest endymion

Yeah the ones that come with the iPod don't feel comfortable at all, I always feel like they are falling out. They get even worse when you finally give up on those black foam slip covers.

The earplug ones that fit snugly directly into your ear are way more comfortable and they don't feel precarious like that. And wow yeah good quality. They were only like $30. I'll try to get a brand but I'm sure that any similar earplug-style headphones with 9mm drivers would sound just as good.

I also use some cheap $15 clip-over-the-head athletic-style headphones when I'm rollerblading sometimes. Any headphones from any old walkman that you like work fine. Apple mainly includes those earbuds that come with it because it's intended to be a 'lifestyle device', they want you to be able to listen to your personal soundtrack in the subway or on a bus or whatever in public without isolating yourself completely from the world around you. Those earbuds allow the iPod sound to blend into the world instead of blocking it out. If what you really want is blocking out the world then you want the earplug style instead of the buds.

Guest pod

Tube amp? Umm...ok.

Don't get me started. ;D

BT rocks though. I use it as a ghetto locator service, since a lot of my friends have BT enabled phones. If I pick them up, I know they're not that far away...no idea which direction though.

I've got to get the antenna accessory still, but from what I have seen on other's computers, my Nokia will sync with just about anything properly.

The real deal I would like to see is a consumer level version of the

Audiaboxes that major nightclubs use. Basically an Audia box is a set of general purpose DSPs that you can program to do everything from compression, EQing, and most of all, routing of audio signals via Ethernet, wired or wireless...i.e. you can define zones in your venue/home and have everything easily routed. Trick is, Audia's software is only comprehensible to audio engineers, geeks like me, and other assorted oddballs. A consumer wouldn't want to dick with that. Though Audia can be programmed to work with a bunch of presets....Cafeteria does it. They have a preset panel marked with buttons for various sources, so even the bartender can flip it over when a DJ comes on.

In the end, you'd have your Mac/PC, one of these boxes, and a few decent amps and speaker cabinets and you are good to go.

Solutions exist already for this problem, but cost thousands to implement and program.

Guest endymion

Tube amp? Umm...ok.

Don't get me started. ;D

Try it first, then pick on it. You'd be surprised how much warmer, deeper and richer a modern tube amp sounds compared to a totally solid state amp, even an analog solid state amp. Even to a non-audiophile there is a difference that you can hear and feel, like the difference between a $5 bottle of cheap Shiraz with a sting compared to a 20 year old Bordeaux. You can only really hear it if you have some super high-end speakers. You can afford better speakers if you don't need to buy a bunch of media player hardware.

Guest pod

I don't usually deal in home-based installs. You know me, my expertise lies in pro-level installs, and tube amps in a professional sound system went the way of the dodo a very long time ago. The 'warmth', which is actually an undesirable distortion, can easily be duplicated by any modern DSP system. Even on the higher end home level, it is easy to implement. I don't want to hear a muddy whop, I want to hear why a kick drum is called a kick drum.

Besides, tubes burn out. 8)

Guest endymion

Well yeah, tube amps are not for use at Space.

Think about who is telling you this information as you form your opinion. Techjunkie. The computer nerd. The fully digital lifestyle guy. The guy who spent years researching DSP, who has helped to build custom ASICs for processing audio and video. Even I will concede that a tube amp has something that today's DSP effects can't hit. Tomorrow's DSP maybe but not right now.

Guest endymion

There is all of this hubub about the next iPod, how it will store photos.

I just realized that I would be WAY more interested in seeing a Bluetooth option on iPods. How cool would an automatic wireless iPod sync be?

Guest macboy

The two biggest problems with that are battery drain and slow transfer. I never realized what a drain it was until I left it on all the time on my Nokia 6600. My phone had to be charged every day. When it was off, my phone battery lasted 4 days. As for speeds, I think it's equivalent to USB 1.1, right? Even on a mini, transferring music would be brutally slow.

I'm not too interested on seeing photos on a two inch screen. I don't think even pod would care for such a feature, and he's a photographer. I'd prefer a morph into a pseudo PDA with wifi access but that would also be a battery drain.

Guest pod

Oh I knew that. But I'd say DSPs are there right now. ;D Tube amps are a fetish item these days. You get them to say "Hey, check out this amp, I've got Sovteks in it!" Tubes have a certain appeal to them, but what I'm looking for in my home audio is accurate reproduction, neutral if you will. I can add my own flavor later on down the chain, including that warmth prized by tube fanatics.

It really comes down to the tired old analog vs digital debate which is raging in every field from photography (hey get this, someone said I wasn't creating art because I shoot digital....), to audio, to video, to just about anything else you can slap a chip into.

In the end it comes down to personal preference. My preference is to slap a black box in there somewhere, and have nice digital switching amps like the Crown I-tech.

it8000-reflect-lz.jpg

The I-techs actually accept audio via Ethernet. Interestingly enough, my audio engineer friend has switched to these, and has had to purchase road-worthy routers that can reside in an amp rack.