Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Asexuality: it's not just for amoebas anymore"

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

Study: One in 100 adults asexual

LONDON, England (CNN) -- About one percent of adults have absolutely no interest in sex, according to a new study, and that distinction is becoming one of pride among many asexuals.

The new study was conducted by Anthony Bogaert, a psychologist and human sexuality expert at Brock University in St. Catherines, Ontario.

It was published in the latest issue of The Journal of Sex Research and is the focus of a report in this Saturday's issue of New Scientist.

Bogaert's analysis looked at responses to another study in Britain, published in 1994. That study was based on interviews of 18,000 people about their sexual practices.

It offered respondent a list of options. One read: "I have never felt sexually attracted to anyone at all." One percent said they agreed with the statement.

That response level is close to the percentage of gay people in the population, which is around three percent, the New Scientist report says.

New Scientist says such studies offer insights into sexuality, the results remain controversial. "The closest we have got to understanding human asexuals comes from studies -- mostly surveys - of people who report not have sex," it says.

A 1994 survey, published by The University of Chicago Press, found that 13 percent of 3,500 respondents had no sex in the past year. Forty percent of those people said they were extremely happy or very happy with their lives.

"If asexuality is indeed a form of sexual orientation, perhaps it will not be long before the issue of 'A' pride starts attracting more attention," New Scientist says.

Activists have already started campaigning to promote awareness and acceptance of asexuality, it reports.

The Asexual Visibility and Education Network has an online store that sell items promoting awareness and acceptance on asexuality.

Among the items is a T-shirt with the slogan, "Asexuality: it's not just for amoebas anymore."

Guest LeVeL

I know this girl who is extremely hot but doesn't believe inhaving sex and is very happy by the way. She dates men but doesn't have sex. You should hear the stories I have heard from her telling me the attempts guy have taken to get her horny but it doesn't work.

Guest durrtylexx

I know this girl who is extremely hot but doesn't believe inhaving sex and is very happy by the way. She dates men but doesn't have sex. You should hear the stories I have heard from her telling me the attempts guy have taken to get her horny but it doesn't work.

thats a shame...

Guest cutchemist

a qoute from a famous "artist"

"sex is natural, sex is fun, not everybody does it, but everybody should"

I think that i'm going on a sabatical...u know cleanse the spirit...I swear i'll start tommrow....lol

Guest pod

I'd be bored out of my mind.

You got the equipment for a reason, might as well do something with it.

I can see these asexuals. "Art fags" most likely.

Guest slamminshaun

do asexual people even have the urge to masterbate?

I would think not since that would involve urges, which asexual people apparently do not have. Or if they do, what kind of magazine do they use?? Popular Science?

Guest endymion

I wonder if the idea of tolerance and acceptance should even be extended to an asexual like it is to people with normal sex drives but non-traditional preferences? Asexuality would be a deficiency, a physical abnormality. Either that or psychological repression, either option isn't something to celebrate?

Guest web_norah

speaking of Asexual...anybody else going to the Morrissey concert next week?

hey Demo, i went to see him on Sunday at the RCM and he was awesome until he stormed out - security got a little too aggro on a fan and this totally pissed Morrissey off....it was a great show though, gorgeous stage and lighting :)

Guest LeVeL

do asexual people even have the urge to masturbate?

I'm pretty sure they do it all the time, lol

I dont think so asexuals really dont have the urge do no anything but enjoy life by sharing other types of ways of showing emotion and compassion. Masturbation is the last thing they thing about even worse intercourse.

Guest cutchemist

do asexual people even have the urge to masturbate?

I'm pretty sure they do it all the time' date=' lol

[/quote']

I dont think so asexuals really dont have the urge do no anything but enjoy life by sharing other types of ways of showing emotion and compassion. Masturbation is the last thing they thing about even worse intercourse.

don't u think they might just to relieve pressure. I'll have to look it up ;D

Guest pod

Well conducting a vigorous session of self-service is a sexual activity, so if they are asexual, they sure as hell don't engage in self-stimulation.

Guest JMT

from what i recall from high school biology, "asexual" meant not reproducing by interaction with another being. masturbation is just that.

Guest cutchemist

from what i recall from high school biology, "asexual" meant not reproducing by interaction with another being. masturbation is just that.

that's what i'm saying....reproducing with out sexual intercourse....r u guy's gonna make me look this one up?...