Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attn Pod: Camera Question

Guest slamminshaun

Guest slamminshaun

Your camera takes nice shots in the dark. I have a Canon PowerShot S500, but the flash is like the sun and makes things way too bright. I took shots at Space, and the whole freakin' club was lit up. Is this something I can adjust in the camera, or do you simply have to have the type of camera you own? What kind do you own?

Guest pod

There should be a mode on this called "Night Shot" or "slow-sync" on the flash menu. I'm not familiar with the S500 but most Canon point-and-shoot digital cameras do this.

And since you asked, I use a Canon 10D digital SLR with a 550 EX flash, BG-ED3 battery grip and a remote flash trigger to do funny lighting.

Guest endymion

Is this something I can adjust in the camera, or do you simply have to have the type of camera you own? What kind do you own?

Wow if it were only that simple!

Dan is too polite to put it this way but you just got a taste of why I am so impressed with his nightlife photography. Even with a camera like Dan's you still wouldn't be able to get shots that look even remotely as good as his. I have a camera just like his and I'm a really good photographer even and wow yeah I'm just not Dan. Night clubs are a really hard environment for photography.

The simplest advice for anybody who doesn't have his skills is to avoid relying on the flash on the camera for your lighting because it's a tiny point light that's directly in-line with your viewpoint. That's the worst possible scenario for making people look good. Try to shoot your friends at times when you're in spots where there is enough ambient light that your camera doesn't have to work too hard to light the scene.

Guest pod

Ryan is correct in talking about the flash working too hard. The flash on the S500 and similar units is a very automatic function. Pointing the camera across the room will result in it the flash's logic circuits going "full power...now!", and you get that white washed out look.

That being said, you can turn off the flash on the S500. Cycle through the flash modes until you get the little crossed-out lightining bolt symbol...make sure you place your camera on something steady too. Set it on manual and experiment to see which shutter speed does the best...

s60_001.jpg

However, when you do take photos of your friends, set your flash to "slow synchro" to let a little ambient light soak in...

lcdmonitor.jpg

However, the little flash is still staring people dead-on. I bounce mine to diffuse it a bit, but that is due to the fact I have an external flash unit. Unfortunately for you to get such a capability you'll have to lay out about a grand...