Clubplanet Nightlife Community

huh ? (Oakenfold on CNN)

AndrewChibale

Guest Seb

Totally agree with his comments about digital music. It is missing something. No bottom end and no contrasting sounds. The clarity of vinyl will never be replaced. I truely hope the trend towards digital does not continue.

Guest nadia

Totally agree with his comments about digital music. It is missing something. No bottom end and no contrasting sounds. The clarity of vinyl will never be replaced. I truely hope the trend towards digital does not continue.

agreed.. i will always prefer records over cd's..

on a side note.. they sure tried to make oakie look good in that photo *laugh*

Guest tres-b

lets take a look at the master of digital turntables! Hmmmm

Eric Morillo I wonder what he would have to say about all this!!

Morrilo is the master of digital, but there is something to be said for having the record in your hands, putting the needle down, etc. I prefer watching djs spin records. That isnt to say that you cant crush it on a couple Pioneer 1000s, but as far as watching a dj work, Ill always choose to see someone on 1210s.

Guest pod

Not for nothing, but everything is going digital, everywhere. Vinyl will still have it's place, but DJs who rely on it exclusively are going to be relics.

And, what Paul is alluding to is the practice of downloading MP3s and playing them back in a club. To get the most from digital, you need the original track in it's uncompressed form, not an MP3 ripped to a CD for playback. A properly mastered CD will have the clarity and dynamic range that you desire.

I get into the same bullshit arguments with photo people who refuse to convert, it is nothing new.

Guest Seb

Not for nothing, but everything is going digital, everywhere. Vinyl will still have it's place, but DJs who rely on it exclusively are going to be relics.

And, what Paul is alluding to is the practice of downloading MP3s and playing them back in a club. To get the most from digital, you need the original track in it's uncompressed form, not an MP3 ripped to a CD for playback. A properly mastered CD will have the clarity and dynamic range that you desire.

I get into the same bullshit arguments with photo people who refuse to convert, it is nothing new.

I guess what your saying is true but unfortunately you can't get tracks in their properly mastered form. Purchasing tracks from Beatport, Trax 2 burn & other digital download sites gives the same muffled sound . So I guess until that dynamic form is readily available vinyl still has the superior sound.

Guest pod

Again, you can get properly mastered tracks on CD. You actually have to go out and buy them or order them online. :o Vinyl's sound isn't always superior. I've heard shit vinyl before, as much as I've heard shit CDs.

Though as you get bigger in DJing, often the artists will send you tracks directly via CD. They want it to sound the best, so it is burned directly from the original master.

Guest Seb

Again, you can get properly mastered tracks on CD. You actually have to go out and buy them or order them online. :o Vinyl's sound isn't always superior. I've heard shit vinyl before, as much as I've heard shit CDs.

Though as you get bigger in DJing, often the artists will send you tracks directly via CD. They want it to sound the best, so it is burned directly from the original master.

point taken ;D

Guest pod

I know plenty of DJs that pass on quite decent tracks just based on the fact that what they got sent sounds bad on a technical level.

Guest AlanS

Beatport offers to mail you CDs of WAV files for the tracks you purchase, and some sites even offer WAV or AIFF downloads, Stompy.com is one that comes to mind.

Outside of that, I would not recommend any MP3s encoded at a bitrate less than 320, but if you have to, 192 should be the absolute minium to maintain decent sound quality.

Don't me wrong, I will not "convert", vinyl will always be my first choice, but I feel it is essentail to embrace the new technologies and leverage them for what they are worth, whether it will be CDJ, FS, or whatever.

Digital tracks are a lot cheaper and easier to aquire and more portable, I see this as the major advantage, but all in all, the sound quality doesn't compare if you're strictly talking about vinyl playback on an analog system. Large club systems with digital processing might be a different story.

Guest AlanS

That's what's nice about traxsource, you can opt to pay extra for higher quality. EDM Digital does the same.

I believe Beatport is offering all mp3 encoded after aroud mid Aug, the 14th maybe, at 320 and are working on the back catalog as well. So all new release should be @ 320. Trax 2 Burn is 192