Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ashlee Simpson on SNL

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

In the key of fake

Teen songbird Ashlee Simpson had a microphone malfunction on "Saturday Night Live" last night, scurrying off stage when a production glitch caught her lip-synching the wrong tune.

The pop star, younger sister of singer and TV star Jessica Simpson, sounded great belting out "Pieces of Me" in her first segment on the show. It was the same song that she butchered at August's MTV Music Video Awards, drawing withering reviews for a flat, out of key performance.

But the triumphant moment turned into a debacle when she came out to debut the song "Autobiography" for a second set. But whoever was responsible for piping in a studio-engineered rendition for Simpson to mouth screwed up, playing "Pieces" once again.

http://www.collegehumor.com/news/ashlee_snl.wmv

The raven-haired beauty hopped around briefly, then slinked off the stage as her hapless band half-heartedly faked away. It didn't take long for critics to vent their rage on Ashlee Simpson's official Web site.

"Finally, you're exposed for the fraud that you are," wrote an E-mail poster named drdrewby minutes after the embarrassing performance. "You have cheated your fans and people who actually thought that you had a lick of talent. You should quit the music business because you are now and always will be a complete and utter joke."

Said CowboyJeff99: "I knew she sounded like crap live, so I was 'wondering' what was going on when her voice sounded just like the radio edit."

When the cast of the live show came out to bid the audience good night, actor Jude Law tried to explain Simpson's slipup.

"What can I say folks, live TV," Law shrugged.

A still-humiliated Simpson apologized to her fans - and blamed her band for playing the wrong song.

Guest LeVeL

LOL....there are a lot more artist out there that still haven't been exposed. I am glad Ashley got exposed because it proves that she's a fake. Now they have to expose the other pop stars out there like Hulk Hogans daughter for example.

Guest JMT

i didnt see it live, but yeah like Carisa said you could hear the vocals playing and they forgot to turn her mic off on the first song.

pretty funny.

Guest web_norah

i saw the first part of AS singing, then saw a few of the skits and then turned the TV off.

this isnt the first SNL guest who's been doing the lip snych farse, Lenny Kravitz, J Lo, Marc Anthony and tons of other guests do it when they come to SNL, it is obvious. unfortunately, Ashlee was the guinea pig on lip synch-gone-wrong.

Guest klit

Milli Vanilli never sang their songs. Unless I missed something she was just lipsynching her performance on snl which is something some of the best artists do.

Blaming her band though was a mistake.

Guest web_norah

Isnt the name of the show Saturday Night LIVE!!! If you cant sing live...DONT DO THE SHOW!!!!!! ;D

i watch the re-runs and i can tell you that MANY of the former guests DONT sing live.

Ashlee should have never said she didnt lip synch though.

Guest JMT

Isnt the name of the show Saturday Night LIVE!!! If you cant sing live...DONT DO THE SHOW!!!!!! ;D

exactly. and if you cant even lip-synch properly in 2 tries you have REAL problems.

Guest klit

People love to hate on celebrities too much. The girl put on a pretty good pop record but guess she performs better in the studio then live. And about her staying away from live performances instead of lip-synching that would be ideal, but snl is a great way to promote your material so I don't see any artists turning down gigs like that.

She did say she does not lip-synch and blamed her band which was a mistake.

Guest JMT

Ashlee Simpson Owns Up To Lip-Syncing

Ashlee Simpson has owned up to lip-syncing, following an embarrassing Saturday night slip-up on live TV... And while she initially blamed her band for the incident, she now writes on her website that her voice was overworked. She says, "I'll hold my head high and say I think it was silly of me to do it, silly of me to blame the band, I was just so f**king embarrassed. But I don't think it did me much harm, and people will see that soon." A Saturday Night Live spokesperson says Simpson had planned to use a backing track, a common concert aid which allows singers to either mime or sing along with a guide-vocal track, to augment her voice. A statement from Simpson's record label blamed a "computer glitch" which triggered "a cut from her album" to play instead of a drum cue. The blunder has been all the more embarrassing for Simpson, because she recently expressed her disapproval of lip-syncing in an interview with Lucky magazine, explaining, "I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going to let my real talent show, not just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip- sync. It's just not me."