Clubplanet Nightlife Community

As of Monday, Oct. 25

Total days: 40

Total days of season missed: 13

Games lost Monday: 3

Total games missed: 80

Total number of players to sign with overseas teams: 215

Negotiations

The NHL and the players association haven't met or spoken since a negotiating session in Toronto on Sept. 9 -- one week before the lockout was imposed. No talks are scheduled.

Guest JMT

i miss Barry Melrose's mullet already.

I know I do... I'm madly in loooove with Barry Melrose... I think he's so cute and i love his little accent. LOL

I can listen to him talk hockey all day ;D

ha ha ha

and what about those dapper suits he sports?

Guest LeVeL

its all about SHAQ IN BLACK

Yup cant wait for the season to start. Hopefully we will see a winning team play this year not like the dam Dolphins. Hey did anybody see in the news Jason Taylor dressed up as Ricky Williams at the Madison Halloween Ball. That shit was funny as helll...lol

Guest macboy

I don't know much about hockey economics. But outside of the season ticketholders and others who attend the games, support is so limited for this sport in the US. They are alienating the limited fan base they currently have.

Guyman, you're the sports guy. How many of these NHL teams turn a profit currently? Do those that currently lose money stand to benefit from a prolonged lockout? Just curious. ???

Guest guyman1966

I think that maybe 3 teams made money last year. Don't quote me, but its damn close. Most teams are doing better without having a season. Think about that. Teams and TV partners are not losing money this year and are in favor of the lock out.

The game can't continue in its current form. The big hope is that HD TV will save it. I doubt it. I know that most of you are sick of me saying this, but I blame the EuroTrash players for fucking up this league. This is actualy the core reason I bash the Eurotrash. I feel they have killed one of my favorite sports.

I realize you can blame the owners for paying unjust wages to these so called European stars... and the owners have to shoulder much of the blame, but I still say that if the sport was left to North Americans it would not be in the pickle its in right now. These EuroTrash players dont care if there is no season because they have contracts to play in Europe for almost the same cash. But, I can't wait 'till those checks start bouncing and they need to get back to the good 'ol USA. I say eliminate the EuroTrash and give the Canadian Farm boys a chance!

Guest macboy

I think that maybe 3 teams made money last year. Don't quote me, but its damn close. Most teams are doing better without having a season. Think about that. Teams and TV partners are not losing money this year and are in favor of the lock out.

This is what I suspected. Thanks. ;)

What I don't get is why don't they have a salary cap like the NFL?

Why doesn't all pro sports run like the NFL? They seem to have their shit straight.

And I can understand why they don't make money - who the hell can afford a ticket? I mean decent ticket.... Nosebleeds are like $14 - but decent tickets are minimum $50+.. and there are sometimes 3 home games in a week!!! I know Florida must lose money due to low crowds... unlike Detroit (I'm assuming?)..

Working class people (like myself) - are left out in the dark and I'm a true fan... Thanks to my special friend Guyman, I get to see some games.. without him, I'd rarely be able to afford it! And I'd probably kill myself. (see guyman, my life depends on you :P )

Guest guyman1966

Laura - they don't make money becasue there is no real money in their TV Deal (as a league). The NFL and MLB all make money over nationaly televised games. The NHL is a ratings loser. I think Golf, Bowling and Poker beat it in the ratings. So, what major network will pay out big bucks if they cant get the money back in advertsing sales? forgetaboutit!!!

A cap would help, but the real problem is in the lack of interest on TV. That is why HD is so important to the future of this sport. I've seen a game on HD and it kicks ass.

1. salary cap

2. contract a few teams

3. HD TV deal

4. Change the game, get higher scoring, take out fighting, get rid of icing, decrese the size behind the net

5. market the game to americans, not american hockey fans. Nascar caught on ever since they got rid of their dumb redneck marketing.

6. too many teams in the playoffs

7. go to a mlb system of game behind

8. get rid of ties

9. market some of the star american players as "jordan-esk"... every league needs a superstar everyone knows includeing the non nhl fans