Clubplanet Nightlife Community

the return of the metrosexual

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

Metrosexual.

That's the buzz word, engendered by the popular TV show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," for a straight urban man who has become increasingly interested in appearance, grooming, home furnishings, the arts and food.

In other words, a man who pays more attention to his "softer" or "feminine" side.

And this cultural phenomenon for men is "moving into the workplace at a rather fast rate," according to Nancy Halpern, senior vice president of The Strickland Group, an executive coaching organization based in New York that focuses on executive development.

Halpern, who has an MBA and has been in her profession since 1996, says the reason for the trend is--you've guessed it--the huge numbers of employed women.

"The impact of women in the workplace has had an enormous effect on how men are expected to behave as leaders," said the executive, who first noticed the change and the advent of metrosexuals in 2002.

"I have clients who say to me that not so long ago if a male executive made the numbers, everyone was happy. But not now.

"Now, it's 50 percent numbers and 50 percent behavior."

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest demo909

"We're here...We're not queer...but we are pretty close...so get used to us!"

hehehe 8)

Metro guys take care of themselves, their looks, their body and their over all appearance. Of course in a corporate confined work space people like this are going to stand out and their chances of climbing the corporate ladder are greatly increased. No matter what anybody says...physical attraction such as beauty / looks dominates this world.

Guest slamminshaun

Being a "metro" from a non-metro city, I can tell you that it was awful being called a "faggot", etc. simply because I took care of myself. It didn't matter that I always seemed to be dating hot chicks, people swore it was a cover. NOw that the "metro" is part of popular culture, perhaps the stigmas will go away. But if not, heh...whatever.....Go Metros!!

Guest durrtylexx

there's nothing wrong with taking care of oneself..i l enjoy facials, manicures, and pedicures..and dont mind spending a little more money on clothes..dinning at nice restaurants. In South America this is very common with men..My father would have stylist's come to the house and take care of us on Saturdays..Image is huge downthere..Just no eyebrow waxing for me... :P

there is no fine line between being a man and being a metro sexual.

No one has an issue with you taking care of yourself, the issue is the culmination of gay tendencies does in fact give off a peception of being a girlie boy....

BTW, ask 9 out of 10 chicks, they don't like the metro sexual thing. They say they do, but they don't. This is why hot chicks date dirt bags such as Carmen electra dating her rocker man.

Guest r3nz0

there's nothing wrong with taking care of oneself..i l enjoy facials, manicures, and pedicures..and dont mind spending a little more money on clothes..dinning at nice restaurants. In South America this is very common with men..My father would have stylist's come to the house and take care of us on Saturdays..Image is huge downthere..Just no eyebrow waxing for me... :P

Really? Then why do you always look like shit? ???

;D;D;D

Guest durrtylexx

;D;D;D

thats right you only see me at space at 6:00am..bitoch..i'm sort of out it by then.lol..I dont care how I dress, to places like Space or Crobar..PENDEJO Renzo..Tira Flecha ;D

Guest demo909

BTW, ask 9 out of 10 chicks, they don't like the metro sexual thing. They say they do, but they don't. This is why hot chicks date dirt bags such as Carmen electra dating her rocker man.

What are your sources? where did you get your figures? Is this another fox news poll gone wrong?? ;D ;D 8) J/K

Guest web_norah

Dave Navarro may look like a rocker but he sure takes care of himself...

and 9 out of chicks prefer a man who is not smelly, has great skin, good taste in clothes and doesnt smell like oil fluid and pasta sauce....you guido

Guest Clarisa

;D;D;D

thats right you only see me at space at 6:00am..bitoch..i'm sort of out it by then.lol..I dont care how I dress, to places like Space or Crobar..PENDEJO Renzo..Tira Flecha ;D

ha ha ha se le salio el indio a algiuen ha ha ha ha ha

Guest Clarisa

Nothing wrong with metros. I've dated a couple only thing I didn't like is the fact I had to wait because they took too long getting ready.

Guest pod

It's a fad. Next year being a fat slob will be in. The year after that is the Apocalypse and being able to field-strip an AK-47 and drive like Mad Max will get the girls all hot n bothered.

When I lived in Florida, I fit in the metrosexual / European -laqtin influence of clothing and other styles, but now that I am back in Ohio, I stick out like sore thumb when I go out at times.

I don't wear baggy cargo pants or bagg jeans, I use hair product, and stay in shape.

Ide rather be in style and in shape than look like street thug.

Guest LeVeL

I groom myself but please dont call me a metrosexual what the fuck is that.

I believe the ladies to like a man that takes care of himself but some guys go out to extremmes to doing their feet and nails its ridiculous. To even doing their eye bra's (yeah I dont care if I spelled it right or wrong Crzy C).

A man still needs to be a man..let the girls do their girl thing but dont call me a metrosexual or there wil be some problems.. :-X