Clubplanet Nightlife Community

dj headphones

Guest JMT

Guest pod

Despite some misgivings about Sony, I prefer MDR-7509s...

Misgivings as in some people say they will break like every other Sony headphones. Thing is, the 7509s are designed for touring sound engineers and studio people, not DJs, so they hold up a lot better than the grody old 700s.

Soundwise, it is like strapping a pair of 18" subs to your head.

MDR-7509s

$189.00 via Abe's of Maine

Guest lyrik

Despite some misgivings about Sony, I prefer MDR-7509s...

Misgivings as in some people say they will break like every other Sony headphones. Thing is, the 7509s are designed for touring sound engineers and studio people, not DJs, so they hold up a lot better than the grody old 700s.

Soundwise, it is like strapping a pair of 18" subs to your head.

MDR-7509s

$189.00 via Abe's of Maine

...for Djing honestly go with the lower end 7506 - the construction and clarity are the best for real world applications. I have had the Sony V700 - Broke - usual spot...have had the pioneer HDJ 1000 - broke usual spot.

In general - more and more DJs are recommening going back to the 7506's becuase they are not swivel plastic mounts - they are complete over the ear cups and the sound quality is as good as the others and these are way cheaper. Around $99 bucks or lower.

The 7509's are excellent for studio applications, but if you don't have that cash for headphones - that you will probably have to replace within 2 years aways - just go for 7506's. I am going to pick up another pair myself...becuase those damn pioneers were shite!

As for the Sennheisers...I have heard good and bad...good is the sound quality...bad is the construction of the headset...but again it depends on how you will be using them studio vs. Djing (djing with the intent to lug them around, stuff them in record bags, twist them when on the decks etc)

Guest saintjohn

excellent suggestions, but since jmt asked about sennheisers, i've got two suggestions:

hd-25 (definitely not the hd-25sp) - pricey but oh so worth it, as long as the ear cup design suits you. try before you buy. frequency response:

showGraph.php?graphID=189

and isolation:

showGraph.php?graphID=191

hd-280pro - affordable, brilliant headphones. frequency response:

showGraph.php?graphID=213

isolation:

showGraph.php?graphID=215

and a review i wrote for dj times:

http://buy.sennheiserusa.com/asp/Sennheiser/pdf/hd280-djtimes.pdf

best of luck with your purchase.

Guest JMT

thanks, the 280 pro was exactly was i was curious about, since a buddy of mine just purchased them. i currently own the sony 700s.

so saint john, what is your overall preference?

Guest saintjohn

btw, don't let those frequency response graphs fool you. the hd280s, for example, are much brighter than the chart seems to suggest. the important thing (for me, anyway) is where and how much the bass rolls off on the left side of the scale. some djs prefer a lot of low end (like you get with the silver sonys), while others like a more "natural" sound with more articulate highs for better beat-matching. either way, i like as much isolation as i can get, especially for long sets. the hd-280s provide up to 32 db of attenuation, which is nice if you want to avoid permanent hearing damage.

Guest saintjohn
so saint john, what is your overall preference?

borrow a pair of hd-280s and see if they work for you. despite the "list" prices on sennheiser's website, they can be found for less than half the price of the hd-25s. i tend to be rough on my headphones, so i always bring a backup, and therefore less expensive headphones work better for me.

if price is no object, go with the hd-25s - provided you don't mind pads which sit on top of, rather than around, your ears. it's an acquired taste. bonus - field replaceable cord.

Guest saintjohn
Isolation is critical

huh?

seriously, turn down the booth monitors when you don't need them, and keep your headphones on (and muted) to protect your ears between segues. learn to feel the bass coming from the dancefloor, and keep that volume consistent.

Guest pod

Oh that is a given. Very few DJs I know turn the monitors down when they are not needed. It is full tilt the whole night for most of them. Same for the headphone end.

Guest JMT

all this talking about headphones reminds me when i saw Judge Jules @ Nikki Beach during conference with some real crappy headphones ... like those u can get @ kmart for $10 ..

thats funny.

so are the pioneers your pick, Chibster?

all this talking about headphones reminds me when i saw Judge Jules @ Nikki Beach during conference with some real crappy headphones ... like those u can get @ kmart for $10 ..

thats funny.

my first pick on quality (sound) will be the sony's 700's ... their clarity is just perfect but they break easily, the pioneers (the ones i currently use) are the hdj-1000, they work perfect and they respond good to high volume inputs

Guest lyrik

Shure has a set of in ear headphones - Chris Santiago from Chicago uses them. No worry about breakage there, but it must be weird to transition to them. Talk about total isolation.

041022_45.jpg

Guest saintjohn
i saw Judge Jules @ Nikki Beach during conference with some real crappy headphones

. . . and i remember seeing norman cook using these:

P0032390B.jpg

$40.

go figure.

Guest tres-b

thats funny.

my first pick on quality (sound) will be the sony's 700's ... their clarity is just perfect but they break easily, the pioneers (the ones i currently use) are the hdj-1000, they work perfect and they respond good to high volume inputs

Saw the pics from La Covacha w/ Bruno. Is he using those Stanton headphones all the time or was that a one time thing?

Guest JMT

the stanton pro 2000s?

B0002J6J7M.01-A34VCPZVL7E6XQ._PE40_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

anyone tried these?

i have also read somewhere about some Ministry of Sound headphones that some cat said were good. anyone ever tried them?

Guest tres-b

the stanton pro 2000s?

B0002J6J7M.01-A34VCPZVL7E6XQ._PE40_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

anyone tried these?

i have also read somewhere about some Ministry of Sound headphones that some cat said were good. anyone ever tried them?

No, not those...

The DJ Pro 3000

http://www.stantondj.com/alpha44/load.asp?page=djpro3000

I like them as well. Very comfy and a bit more durable than the Sony 700s. I have mixed feelings about the flashing blue light but it looks cool in pics and you can turn it off if it annoys you.

Guest tres-b
Saw the pics from La Covacha w/ Bruno. Is he using those Stanton headphones all the time or was that a one time thing?

all the time .. ever since that party @ prive about 2 months ago

Obviously he likes them. Whats your take?