Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cover charges

Guest Davenavarro10

Guest Davenavarro10

Call me a cheapskate, but I think cover charges have gotten ridiculous. If I'm not mistaken I think it's $20.00 to get into most nightclubs. I can't see myself paying 20 beans to get in anywhere unless a band I like is playing, or if it's a famous musician, or if there is plenty of female nudity involved. I don't think I'd ever pay 20 bucks just to hear some guy spin records. Thank god for my cousins (Biz & Karin), and sites like Cooljunkie for having guestlists and saving us clubgoers money. I'm sure that if most clubs that had a 20 dollar cover at least offered a few hours of open bar more people would be willing to pay the fee. Whenever I go out I'm always amazed by the amount of people that actually waste their money paying a cover charge. Of course some of you out there are legends and don't ever have to worry about spending money. I bet some of you legends are probably payed by nightclubs to make appearances.

Guest rollyp66

Call me a cheapskate, but I think cover charges have gotten ridiculous. If I'm not mistaken I think it's $20.00 to get into most nightclubs. I can't see myself paying 20 beans to get in anywhere unless a band I like is playing, or if it's a famous musician, or if there is plenty of female nudity involved. I don't think I'd ever pay 20 bucks just to hear some guy spin records. Thank god for my cousins (Biz & Karin), and sites like Cooljunkie for having guestlists and saving us clubgoers money. I'm sure that if most clubs that had a 20 dollar cover at least offered a few hours of open bar more people would be willing to pay the fee. Whenever I go out I'm always amazed by the amount of people that actually waste their money paying a cover charge. Of course some of you out there are legends and don't ever have to worry about spending money. I bet some of you legends are probably payed by nightclubs to make appearances.

You think it's bad here wait until you go to places like NY, Ibiza...than you'll gladly pay the $20 compared to the $30-60 else where

Guest Davenavarro10

Is it true that after a certain time the cover charge at space goes up? I mean for afterhours, like at 5, 6 in the morning.

Guest rollyp66

Is it true that after a certain time the cover charge at space goes up? I mean for afterhours, like at 5, 6 in the morning.

Only during special events

okay...if you can't afford to get yourself into a club once in a lifetime for 20 bucks and afford to buy urself a few drinks...that maybe u shouldn't be going to those clubs that charge cover and high price drinks in the first place. By now most of us people here(as in this forum), know a handfull of people that have some type of network relation w/ the nightlife industry here in miami...that being said, most dont pay cover...but if you know you're gonna have a great time being w/ ur friends, the dj, the venue, or whatever it may be than the cover charge is not such a big deal.

Guest mikepayne

okay...if you can't afford to get yourself into a club once in a lifetime for 20 bucks and afford to buy urself a few drinks...that maybe u shouldn't be going to those clubs that charge cover and high price drinks in the first place. By now most of us people here(as in this forum), know a handfull of people that have some type of network relation w/ the nightlife industry here in miami...that being said, most dont pay cover...but if you know you're gonna have a great time being w/ ur friends, the dj, the venue, or whatever it may be than the cover charge is not such a big deal.

Also, a lot of the flyers that street promoters hand out are good for getting in with reduced or waived cover, sometimes you have to get there early, but that's the price you pay to escape the cover charge.

Guest slamminshaun

Call me a cheapskate, but I think cover charges have gotten ridiculous. If I'm not mistaken I think it's $20.00 to get into most nightclubs. I can't see myself paying 20 beans to get in anywhere unless a band I like is playing, or if it's a famous musician, or if there is plenty of female nudity involved. I don't think I'd ever pay 20 bucks just to hear some guy spin records.

Are you serious right now? Let me be the first...you ARE a cheapskate, and the $20 cover charge is to prevent cheapskates from getting in. People who have a problem with $20 cover charges are more prone to get smashed in their car before they go to the club as to not pay the inflated drink prices at the club. There are plenty of clubs that don't have $20 cover charges. They were opened with the cheapskate in mind, but beware....the crowd will reflect that which you have paid to hang out with.

You have alot of nerve saying you won't pay $20 just to hear some guy play records, but would settle for naked girls. Alot of DJ's and club promoters/owners would take exception to that statement. The clubs with $20 cover charges usually have invested much time and effort into planning and executing a proper party. From the lights, DJ's, decor, and making sure people were there to party with. Finally, if other people thought as you did, wouldn't the clubs with $20 be dead? Funny how those are the hottest parties in town.

Guest JustDade

I'll second the statement that you are a full-fledged CHEAPSKATE. When you go to a movie and pay $10 to get in and then buy the $5 Coke and $5 popcorn, do you think that's a good deal? For a measly $20 you can be entertained for hours at a nightclub. You can hear great music, meet girls (well, maybe not you because that usually involves buying them a drink or two), dance, people watch, or whatever floats your boat. It is one of the best values in entertainment. My advice: Get a job.

Guest coach

Nah, if you are a local and you pay to get into the clubs, then either (1) you are not going out enough, or (2) you just don't want to try. This is a tourist town and the procedures reflect that. The good clubs understand that it is the locals that keep them going during the lean months during the off-season. If you show up often enough, then there won't be any cover for you. They make their $20 off the tourists. That's what it is there for.

Like last night when we went to Crobar. Of course, we were one Colby's list, but when we showed up, the door girl recognized us immediately and ushered us in, in front of a massive line. Why? Because she knows we were there all the time supporting all the way through the summer, and we likely will be next summer.

I mean, sure, if you go out 3-4 times a week, which is easy to do down here with so much going on, and you had to pay cover for 2 people, then it can easily get out of hand. But, if you are visiting from Bumfuck, Idaho, and you've saved all year for your big, hedonistic trip to South Beach, then paying the $20 a few times during your week of partying isn't such a big deal. And that's how it works. The clubs charge that cover to the one-timers, who bring in a significant amount of income over a short period of time. And those of us who support year round are given a break because we bring in income over the long term.

Personally, I really like the system.

Guest Davenavarro10

Hey I might be a cheapskate, but you guys are basically throwing your money away. All the money you guys are spending at these clubs, you guys are making someone rich, usually either a clubowner who cares nothing about you and just wants your money. Or one of the jerks at the door who might make you wait to get in even though you're going to spend your hard earned money. I've never payed a cover, and never will. If I save myself 20 bucks by not paying a cover, then I'll spend that money on drinks. Not everyone who goes out is rich, or even comfortable. I bet that a huge percentage of clubgoers are hard-working individuals with low to moderate paying jobs. And I bet that a lot of these clubgoers blow a huge amount of their paycheck going out and partying on a Friday or Saturday night. Some pretty good places out there don't charge a cover. Cafeteria on Wednesday night for example. It's a great time, it's always crowded. The best things in life are free.

Guest DiscJockeyJoey

I feel you on that note bro. especially space, fucking 40 bucks i paid to go in and see picotto and liebing plus mad eXpensive drinks. Where does all that money go? Here is an idea. take some of all that money you guys make and book a *NEW* DJ headliner for the next week. Im kinda sick of seeing the same 15 DJs rotate headlines at space. I mean...thats what made space space to begin with. I remember the eXcitment of a big DJ that i havent gotten a chance to hear yet. I dont know who does there bookings but pull your shit together.

Guest Davenavarro10

I hear you DiscjockJoey. It's the same thing week after week. You would think that people would get sick and tired of hearing the same dj 75 percent of the time. throw us a curve, try something different. I can't believe that there are people that go to the same club week after week. Don't they get sick or bored of it? These club owners should mix things up, variety is the spice of life.

Guest slamminshaun

Space makes money bringing in the likes of PVD, Tiesto, Deep Dish, etc. When you have locals like OG, Cedric, etc. as residents, why would you bring in DJ Bag O' Donuts? Remember this, businesses are in business to make money. If the general consensus was that $40 to see a DJ was too much, then the place would be empty. But as long as there are thousands willing to pay that, why would Space not charge that? If you knew you could sell your house for $300,000, why would you list it for $150,000? Only a bad businessman would do that. There are some DJ's out there I'd like to see them book, but I'm sure not all of them fit the Space "format".

Of course, people that pay cover charges are making someone rich...isn't this true of all businesses we spend money at?

Guest DiscJockeyJoey

and space format would beeee ? (boring tribal drums that sound like the same song the entile night?) dont get me wrong I <3 tribal. but the track selections I have been seeing lately is just weak it not only space but all of the damn clubs. Even ultra last year i was very disapointed to hear most of the DJs playing the same songs. I heard over a handfull of songs at least 5 times that day. I guess if I wanna hear the good shit i'll stick with protonradio.com

I'll second the statement that you are a full-fledged CHEAPSKATE. When you go to a movie and pay $10 to get in and then buy the $5 Coke and $5 popcorn, do you think that's a good deal? For a measly $20 you can be entertained for hours at a nightclub. You can hear great music, meet girls (well, maybe not you because that usually involves buying them a drink or two), dance, people watch, or whatever floats your boat. It is one of the best values in entertainment. My advice: Get a job.

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Guest DiscJockeyJoey

Space makes money bringing in the likes of PVD' date=' Tiesto, Deep Dish, etc. When you have locals like OG, Cedric, etc. as residents, why would you bring in DJ Bag O' Donuts? Remember this, businesses are in business to make money. If the general consensus was that $40 to see a DJ was too much, then the place would be empty. But as long as there are thousands willing to pay that, why would Space not charge that? If you knew you could sell your house for $300,000, why would you list it for $150,000? Only a bad businessman would do that. There are some DJ's out there I'd like to see them book, but I'm sure not all of them fit the Space "format".

Of course, people that pay cover charges are making someone rich...isn't this true of all businesses we spend money at?

[/quote']

If you wanna talk business then why is space always 21+ ? All they would have to do is wrist-band the 21+ kids and even if they only get like 100 people under 21 @ 20 bucks a pop that 2 grand eXtra for the night.

Guest slamminshaun

If it was worth it to them, or they had to do it, they would. Why do think they drop the age for trance events? Hmm...

Guest web_norah

dude 20 beans is a bargain

people pay $25-40 on normal nights out in places like SFO and New York city, if paying cover charges is such a big deal to you. why do you go out?

Guest rollyp66

dude 20 beans is a bargain

people pay $25-40 on normal nights out in places like SFO and New York city, if paying cover charges is such a big deal to you. why do you go out?

He doesn't pay cover thanks to his "cousins"

Guest web_norah

i gathered that he doesnt pay covers

my point is that he thinks 20 bones is so much money and other cities have an average of 25-45 a night.

Guest rollyp66

i gathered that he doesnt pay covers

my point is that he thinks 20 bones is so much money and other cities have an average of 25-45 a night.

I hear you...

Guest Davenavarro10

Rolly I seriously doubt that you ever payed a cover while my cousins were working at Space, or now that they're working at Amika. I really think that the majority of the junkies would agree with me on this. That's why we have to thank sites like this one. I seriously think that people would not go out as much if they had to pay 20 bucks every single time they went out to a night club. If Cafeteria eventually starts charging 20 dollars on Wednesday nights, I guarantee that it won't be as crowded as it normally is.

Guest rollyp66

Actually I don't pay cover, but in turn I can say it is because I have worked in the biz & have made friends over the years. I can say that I am blessed in that phase of the nightlife industry but there are times when your people's hands are tied...so if I have to pay a $20 cover 1 time out of 100...no big deal.... I'm not cheap