Clubplanet Nightlife Community

An article on rap and hip hop... A must read..

Guest Devilicious

This is more than a bit startling because ours is a time in which anything black that makes money gets an automatic pass, especially if it is not illegal.

one of the most prejudiced, ignorant comments I've heard in years

Guest web_norah

interesting....let's see how many actually practice what they preach

a culture pundit on the NY Daily News, is sorta like a columnist on the Star or National Enquirer............ iffy at best

Guest trancepriest

I think they're alot of truths in this article. But I think rap now surpasses racial lines. It's a certain form of agressive consciousnes centered on egoism/individualism that is becoming mainstream across racial lines. In away I think rap is really the dark side of capitalism/materialism. Sure mostly black rappers make the product.. but the ideology as been adapted widely in the younger generation.

Heck all the upper middle class kids I run into have a certain form of it. We're living in a society in which money as beome the true measure of a person rather than character. Perhaps its always been like this.. but it sure as hell is more noticeable now.

Good post Saleen... even though i'm sure you picked it to fit in your racial perception of black folks/minorities.

Guest macboy

a culture pundit on the NY Daily News, is sorta like a columnist on the Star or National Enquirer............ iffy at best

Come on Norah. You've been there less than a year and you're dumping on New Yorkers who've been there their whole life and have more knowledge and perspective on New York culture than you do.

Yet I still agree with your first comment. Let's see how many actually practive what they preach.

Guest web_norah

Come on Norah. You've been there less than a year and you're dumping on New Yorkers who've been there their whole life and have more knowledge and perspective on New York culture than you do.

Yet I still agree with your first comment. Let's see how many actually practive what they preach.

i am not dumping on anything ::)-- FYI i've read much better columns regarding rap and hip hop culture from other publications..... and secondly, this article mentions NOTHING about New York or its culture ....

i dont read the Daily News for thought provoking editorials, do you? the Times or New York Magazine offer better op-ed than the Daily News and everyone knows that....

Guest JMT

Nobody white would be allowed to get away with selling such a product.

It's about time we started seeing some equality.

that part spoke volumes, imho.