Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Robbery at Slammin' Shaun's Office

Guest slamminshaun

Guest slamminshaun

For those of you with no "copy/paste" abilities...

PORT ST. LUCIE — A police officer on her lunch hour Wednesday ran after a man investigators said just robbed a bank and called emergency dispatchers with key information that led to the man's capture.

"I was at the right place at the right time," said officer Kim Bailey, who was in the bank at the time of the robbery.

James F. Cornillie, 36, of Loxahatchee, was arrested shortly after the 12:15 p.m. robbery when he slammed his Ford Explorer into another vehicle at Lakehurst Drive and Heather Street, said officer Robert Vega, police spokesman.

Cornillie was thrown from the two-door sport utility vehicle — as were wads of cash, clothing and what appeared to be luggage that littered the wreck scene. Cornillie, expected to be charged with robbery and related charges, was flown to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach in stable condition.

Vega said the incident at First National Bank at Bayshore and Port St. Lucie boulevards began when Cornillie handed a teller a note demanding money. After receiving the cash, he ran south across the six lanes of Port St. Lucie Boulevard.

Meanwhile, Bailey, who was dressed in civilian clothing because she is on desk duty while recovering from an injury, also was in the bank conducting personal business.

"They said, 'Lock the doors, the bank just got robbed,'" said Bailey, a five-year veteran. "I saw the man running south down the plaza, so I immediately advised them I was a police officer."

Bailey raced across the heavily traveled roadway, yelling at Cornillie as he kept looking at her.

"I got honked at a couple of times, but I was on a mission," she said.

Bailey got as close as 10 feet from the man before he got in the Explorer, which was parked at a nearby business. She called 911 on a cell phone and relayed a description and tag of Cornillie's SUV before officers spotted it traveling north on Bayshore.

Cornillie's Explorer eventually collided with a gold Mazda that was westbound on Lakehurst Drive at Heather Street. Cornillie failed to stop at the intersection's stop sign.

The crumpled wreckage of both vehicles ended up in the front yard of Lakehurst Drive resident Carmen Silva, who was fixing franks and beans for lunch at the time.

"I just started screaming and then I saw the cops," the six-year resident said. "They told me this guy just robbed a bank."

Police did not disclose the name of the Mazda driver, but a St. Lucie County Fire District official said he was taken to a local hospital in stable condition.

Guest saintjohn

Wow - I'm glad you're okay, and that none of the people in the bank were hurt. Sorry to hear about the Mazda driver in the wrong place at the wrong time, though.

Hey, that reminds me - I have to go buy the special edition "Heat" DVD that came out this week.

Stay safe, Shaun.

I was in line in a bank (5th in line) once when it was robbed. I still remember it to this day. Kinda freaky. The weirdest part of it was that right before it happened I was thinking to myself, trying to come up with a topic to use for a public speaking competition I needed to write a speech for. Then my speech topic strolled in with a mailman bag and hopped up on the counter with a piece. Funny how those things work out…

Good to hear you’re alright Slam-man.

Guest slamminshaun

ended a lot better then that scene in Point Break did.

Shaun did you know that it was going on at the time?

Nah. I was in the back eating some lunch. The girl ran into the lunch room and said to her supervisor who I was eating lunch with that she had been robbed. It was pretty chaotic at the bank from that point on.