Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
Guest reecelights

HIP HOP vs TRANCE/HOUSE--or--Why do you go to clubs?

Guest reecelights

Try this thread on for size: Hip Hop vs Electronic. Discuss the aesthetic value of the music and the reason for your appreciation of its play at a club.

It's probably a lot to assume that there are people out there now who were as heavy into the clubbing as I was 5 or 6 years ago. But if there are, what makes you enjoy the Hip Hop fad that dominates clubs today versus the Trance and House phase we went through back then? And for the newcomers to the scene, which genre of music do you prefer to be played at the clubs and why?

When I first started clubbing in Philadelphia (and to some extent in New York) on a regular basis in 1999, it was because of the music. I had been a long time fan of Electronic music, dating back to the late 1980's, during the heyday of bands like Depeche Mode, Erasure, and New Order. The electronic sound has always been interesting to me because of the layering, expressiveness and energy in could provide.

When the club craze of the turn-of-the-century rolled around and there was an hour-long line to get in to see Rob Lee at Evolution on a Saturday night, I thought it was because of the power, exuberance, and the ability of Trance and House music to make you feel alive while dancing. Every night ended with a round of applause and encore from the DJ. This was surely about the music, right? After all, the club was so crowded and so loud, how could it be about trying to meet someone, let alone be a pick-up venue? Was I wrong?

About 2 years later I was at a Delaware Avenue club with a single dance floor. The night featured both Hip Hop and Trance music. And every hour on the hour the DJ and the crowd on the dance floor completely changed over. It made no sense to me. Why the promoter chose this arrangement still baffles me. The two crowds and two styles of music were so disparate that it seemed the only logic was to be something to everybody. And yet these are still the two genres that dominate club play to this day.

To me Hip Hop music is about style and attitude. It seems great for bumpin' and grindin' with as many ladies and fellas as you can. But I rarely see the appreciation for the DJ in their selection of music. When compliments are given it is usually for their technique. I'm not a huge fan of Hip Hop, I liked it when it was new in the early 80's, but generally it annoys me now. I have, however, been at plenty of events with Hip Hop where the thing that kept me interested in the evening was the skill of the DJ.

For me, the reason I went (and rarely now go) clubbing was because of the music and the effect it had has on me. Not the meat-market crowds it did or did not generate and the efforts to rub up against a stranger, in the hopes of going home with a new phone number...or more.

So what ur 50 Cents?

Guest Doc Justice

I disagree wholeheartedly.

As a Hip Hop DJ, I'm not known my technical skills. My mixing/blending is always on point. My cutting abilities leave something to be desired (mostly by myself).

The reason I've gotten jobs over the years is precisely for my record selection. Sure I'll give about an hour -- maybe an hour and half -- to the new commercial hits, but I'm sure most DJs in any genre of music will do something similar to that. It's what I do before, in between, and after the hits that keeps my dancefloors going.

I have two goals when I spin. The first is for people to walk in with a smile and leave with that same smile. If I see this, I know they had a good time. My second goal is to make the majority of the crowd say "OH SHIT!" at least once in the night. It might be because of a song they haven't heard in 10+ years, or it might be because of the new new NEW stuff that they haven't heard yet.

If you go to clubs because you love the music, I applaud you. Keep doing it. It gives all DJs a little encouragement, and it keeps everybody happy. If you go to clubs to meet the opposite gender, keep doing it. The DJs will have you on the dancefloor even if they're terrible. I think the real reason most people go to clubs -- and these people don't post on these message boards -- is just to chill with some friends and have a few drinks in an atmosphere that they feel comfortable in.

If the point of your post was to vent about how House and Trance have taken a backseat in popularity in the clubs to Hip Hop, I don't think you went about it the right way. MOST people are upset with that fact, myself included. The popularity of Hip POP has diluted everything about the music that I love. Even though it's keeping a little change in my pockets, I wish that some other type of music would take its place as king of the club.

But for now, it's "Do you that new 50 Cent song?" over and over again....

Guest reecelights

Point taken. I suppose the original post was a bit of a vent about the disappearance of Electronica. One of the nice things about Trance music when I was DJing was far fewer people new the names of any songs, and if they did they were more knowledgeable in their requests. Albeit, I would get the same three people requesting the same four songs every week, even if the songs were more than 2 years old.

I do not envy the necessity of your enduring the requests for 50 Cent or Nelly.

But to the original question I was posing...do you think people like Hip Hop for the same reasons people like Trance and House?

Guest Doc Justice

I think the majority of the people out there will like whatever is spoon fed for them.

I can count no less than 5 radio stations that will play the same sort of non-threatening Hip Hop. Q102, PST, Wired, The Beat, and Power have a slight twist on the same format, thus pounding the top ten into the public's collective conciousness.

If you hear the same song 10-20 times a week, you will learn the words, and even the adlibs, without trying. Then when you go to the club, you get that old familiar feeling and you don't have to strain your brain to remember when to "do the same two steps with a little twist" while your lip-synching along.

When the house/trance scene got popular around here, the 2nd generation immigrants -- meaning those who followed the trend and didn't start it -- got there because it made them cool to like something out of the norm. When people were talking like, "Yeah the Thunderpuss mix was cool, but did you hear Hex Hector's?" and it made them feel like socialites. Hip Hop doesn't breed the same precocious attitude.

It breeds a different attitude, but that's a different story altogether.

Where's everyone else on this topic? We finally have a good one in here!

Guest darbyjones
"Yeah the Thunderpuss mix was cool, but did you hear Hex Hector's?"

cwm8.gif

oh god, sorry...

Guest reecelights

Was it the Thunderpuss on the rocks or the liberal Hex Hector chaser that made you spew?

Guest Doc Justice

Was it the Thunderpuss on the rocks or the liberal Hex Hector chaser that made you spew?

Either way, I'm pretty sure darbyjones just validate one of my points.

Guest lilmissraver1

If I can put in my 2 cents Chuck...

The first time I ever stepped foot into a bar I was surrounded by the Hip-Hop atmosphere. I loved it. It was what I knew, and was comfortable with. The fights became normal, the consistent unwarranted gawking and groping also was generally disgarded because I knew it was inevitable. Then, I stumbled on to House/Trance via a karaoke bar (go figure) and I've NEVER gone back. The atmosphere was sooooo different that I couldn't believe it. The music touched me in a way that I still cannot describe to THIS day, and that was almost 10 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I still love hip-hop. I still listen to it regularly. But you won't catch me in a club that plays it. At least, you won't catch me having nearly as good of a time.

Signed,

(an eternally annoyed chick who still misses the old studio days...)

Guest Cosmigonon

Well, I love EDM and I hate hip-hop. But when I go clubbing, the main reason I go out is because I wanna party, I wanna meet girls, meet some new people, drink, dance like a maniac, and hang with cool people.

People that go to hip-hop clubs do it for the same reason, only they do it to a different beat.

If I just wanted to hear music, I'd stay home and listen to cd's or the internet, so I don't see the difference.

Guest karatechik

If I can put in my 2 cents Chuck...

. Then, I stumbled on to House/Trance via a karaoke bar (go figure) and I've NEVER gone back. The atmosphere was sooooo different that I couldn't believe it. The music touched me in a way that I still cannot describe to THIS day, and that was almost 10 years ago.

THREE CHEERS FOR THE BRASS RAIL! (HEHE) :P

Guest lilmissraver1

Your take on things is extremely reasonable--hell, everybody goes to clubs for pretty much the same reason I think. BUT, it just seems to me, that "house", venue, whatever tends to attract a particular type of person to it. I can't remember the last time I had to watch my back in an electronic environment, or even the last time my man had to set somebody straight. In my experience, you check your worries at the door and pick them up on your way out.

Guest phillyjunkie

That is unless some BIG HUGE MEATHEAD doesnt leave ur group alone and starts bumping into ur girl, then u start mouthin off at him, atnogonize him a bit by callin him a big pussy, maybe even throw ur drink at his face to REALLY enrage him, then find his 25 inch pythons wrapped around ur next so u respond the only way u know how by going into HOCKEY MODE, and pull his shirt over his head and repeatedly pummel his face, then fall on the group, bouncers come, u crawl away on the main floor and hide in the crowd and then go home......

Sorry Yomica, (thats yiddish for ya sista! nice one!)

but STUDIO was the LAST place on the earth where you didnt have to watch urself! That place was NUUUUUTS!

still can be to this day! dont get me wrong though...

i luve it

hardy fookin har

Your take on things is extremely reasonable--hell, everybody goes to clubs for pretty much the same reason I think. BUT, it just seems to me, that "house", venue, whatever tends to attract a particular type of person to it. I can't remember the last time I had to watch my back in an electronic environment, or even the last time my man had to set somebody straight. In my experience, you check your worries at the door and pick them up on your way out.

Guest lilmissraver1

That is unless some BIG HUGE MEATHEAD doesnt leave ur group alone and starts bumping into ur girl, then u start mouthin off at him, atnogonize him a bit by callin him a big pussy, maybe even throw ur drink at his face to REALLY enrage him, then find his 25 inch pythons wrapped around ur next so u respond the only way u know how by going into HOCKEY MODE, and pull his shirt over his head and repeatedly pummel his face, then fall on the group, bouncers come, u crawl away on the main floor and hide in the crowd and then go home......

hmmm... are we reliving something Dan? It's ok--DEEP breaths, it'll pass soon. Got a brown paper bag handy? Stick your head in it! hahahaha xoxoxoxoxo

Guest reecelights

I don't remember the part where Dan went home...just the part where he hid, while the bloodied recipient of Dan's wrath was rather forcefully removed from the club.

Then our friends came in from outside and said, "Wow, did you see that guy who was all bloodied?"

Uh...Dan? Know anything about that?

Back on topic, though...

Fights during the heyday of Trance were rare. Yes, there were some at ENTrance in Queens. In fact the last time I spun there, the night shut down early at 4:00am because of a fight. But that was no longer the heyday, and people weeren't there for the music anymore.

But how many times was Evolution closed down for shootings on a Hip Hop night?

Guest darkstar

I think the majority of the people out there will like whatever is spoon fed for them.

Unfotunatly this seems to be true but a general safe bet considering the DJ is playing something that is not hard for people to figure out or like.

For me, I would rather hear something new that makes me want to get up and break it down. Mind you, I am coming from a dancer background so music that is more challenging like jazz infused funk is what gives me the most room to play.

Hip Hop has a lot of choices so who is responsible for playing the same damn thing week after week only changing a song or two if that? ??? I don't hesitate if to let the DJ know if I can if I hear something different that is good and danceable.

I don't do Techno so don't have much of a comment on that... I can do Hip Hop/Jazz/Blues/Disco/Funk/and a other music that I am not sure what the proper definition is but is danceable.

Later

Guest djko

Let me start by saying your thoughts make a lot of sense, and I agree with them. I am a Hip-Hop DJ. The scratch was the first thing to ever compel me, that's why I wanted to start scratching. Jazzy Jeff, DXT, Jam Master Jay, Premier, Cash Money, Pete Rock, Q-bert, Mixmaster Mike, and the X-Men were my heroes for the way they played the turntable. That always drew me in, so I was more into the battle scene while raving was in its heyday. I came to the party late nonetheless. Hip-Hop grew tiresome after Biggie died, and I could tell it was going down the corporate path that is never desirable for people who appreciate the art form. The current state of Hip-Hop disgusts me. People wanting to exploit it opposed to adding onto it so it can grow. Creativity is dead and the substance is lacking to put it politely. Unfortunately, the crowds Hip-Hop generally draws are the people you describe in your article: wanting to hook up and grind on a stranger and not for the music. I would much prefer to play an instrumental set for an hour but I know people would boo me out of the building. That's why I had to change my style for a club setting - playing records but trying to flip them in a way and sneak instrumentals I like underneath so I can tolerate it, and so heads can have a good time, after all, people wanna dance. I have spun at so many events where the crowd wants to pretend they're in a video and don't even want to hear scratching although that was the foundation Hip-Hop DJing was built on - pushing the envelope, doing something that has never been done or heard before. But unlike Rock music and other genres, most Hip-Hop heads aren't schooled to the past. They know the filth that is constantly on the radio and on video music outlet channels, but they don't know about "Grandmaster Flash and the Wheels of Steel", "DJ Premier in Deep Concentration", "Rockit", "T.R.O.Y", or "Sucker MCs".

So I came to the Electronic party late, but better late than never. I dance to Electronic music, Hip-Hop doesn't really make me want to move and grinding got old for me in '96. I prefer Techno and Breaks opposed to other Electronic genres. Most people don't know that early Techno is extremely similar to Trance. I am heads with Frankie Bones, and most Electronic heads on the east coast know what that means - underground Electronic sounds, while never compromising to the latest fad. I think I have an appreciation for Electronica because of the beats and how they advance. My roommate Circuit Breaker and Xonel Smart amaze me for how they hit combos during their sets. My boy Hectic is flawless with controlling buildups and breakdowns. With Hip-Hop, the beat can't be too complex and have as many changes as in Electronic tracks because that takes shine away from the MC. It's always good to see where DJs are willing to take it, and honestly, Electronic heads build things up, let people relax for a little while, and then mash you on the head thirsting for more. The Hip-Hop crowd seems to only want to dance to tracks they know the words to where Electronic heads seemed intrigued by the unknown. Heads that go to listen to Electronic music are there to listen to music, dance, get sweaty, and have good times. Heads that go for Hip-Hop dance too, but with the tempo and intensity it doesn't match in my opinion. Collared shirts, dress shoes, and shades were never my thing, I like being comfortable with my sneaks and tops. I guess I want to be inspired to move when I go out.

Unfortunately two things are happening right now. 1) Rap has a stronghold on the music industry for how it's perceived (I assume), so more people like it cuz it's the in thing. I'm waiting for the next thing to come along so people will leave it alone. 2) Electronic music is starting to pop up everywhere which means it's getting in the hands of people who want to exploit it. If Electronic music should learn anything from Hip-Hop, it should be not to let people control it who know nothing about it. I guess only time will tell. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the long post, but this topic hit home.

Guest lilmissraver1

Unfortunately two things are happening right now. 1) Rap has a stronghold on the music industry for how it's perceived (I assume), so more people like it cuz it's the in thing. I'm waiting for the next thing to come along so people will leave it alone. 2) Electronic music is starting to pop up everywhere which means it's getting in the hands of people who want to exploit it. If Electronic music should learn anything from Hip-Hop, it should be not to let people control it who know nothing about it. I guess only time will tell. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the long post, but this topic hit home.

Somebody better stand up and say AMEN. woo Lordy... I'm goin' to church.

Guest djteke

Back in 1997 when I started DJing the club music scene was all "House, Trance, Techno, Etc" It was hitting most of the clubs in Philadelphia and through the US. Even the radio stations had electronical music "Club102, PlanetQ, 97.5" It was all electronical mixed sets with "NO HIPHOP". Now the "Club 102 is all hiphop and reggae". The year 2001 I started noticing a big downfall in club music.

I have seen several of the nightclubs close down and or go out of buissness. I do agree that the scene of that genre of music brings in the drugs and party favors. I also do know that the rave act has a big doing in this effect. Clubs were scared to support such events because they were affraid of getting shut down. The scene slowly started to fizzle and all the big Rave DJ's fizzled out to throwing gigs at small bars and lounges trying to bring it back. Knowing the bars and lounges were nothing close to what it used to be "A warehouse filled with people with high tech lights all over".

It will never be the same again. Club102 and Planet Q fell out and stopped them intense house/trance sets. After that Hiphop, pop, and reggae started taking over the boards with the new generation of teens. Since the new generation of teens can hardly get into clubs and on top of that 90% of clubs are playing HIPHOP and remixed pop music, thats "ALL THEY KNOW OF". Then once they hear this loud pounding sound of HOUSE and Trance they are like "EWW WHAT THE HELL IS THIS" Cause they dont know it.

Another reason is the club scene in Philadelphia is DYING. Its turning into small lounges and bars. The success in the big house clubs seems to be of the past. I remember lines out the doors of alot of the clubs. Now you just sweep right in.

However I go to NYC and the scene is still there. Not as heavy but I can still enjoy AVALON the old "Limelight", ROXY, Spirit. and see jammed club with high energy music from 10pm til about 6am. The drugs are all big in the scene up there and seemed to be ignored.

I do see alot of rave DJ's struggling to bring it back. I would love to see it come back. I see numerous attempts however it just seems to always fail in this city. Several ravers and rave DJ's quoted to me "that it was a great party" however I dont consider 100 people a great rave. The clubs I have resident in do about 300+. I keep telling these new generations of Rave DJ's and Ravers "YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT IT WAS LIKE IN THIS CITY and I doubt you ever will"

As of now I mark this citys genre

city of HIPHOP and POP.

I am a Tribal House/ Trance DJ. The only way I can keep in biz is to spin to the crowd. I really want out of this city. I left the Mobile DJ biz to be able to spin what I want but I cannot in this city.

To finish my thang. I blame it on the following

1. The old "DUTCH LAWS"

2. The Rave Act

3. Clubs and Radio not playing House/Trance "causing new generations not to understand it"

4. 10-2 is not enough time!! lol

None of these statements are facts. They are just what I have VIEWED and Observed in this wonderful city of PHILADELPHIA as a former raver and now a Club DJ.

hit me up

[email protected]

Guest =KK=

Everyone has made a real good point here. when i first read the article and i thought it was very very intresting, since i happen to LOVE hip hop and electronic music. i had a lot of different thoughts in my mind thrue the article and comments for it. both genres are not just music for me , they're like a religion that keeps me going and makes me wish every morning when i wake up that i hear something new and tunes so good i could never dream of. But, when it comes to serious clubbing, i've gotta admit that electronic music takes the crown. there aint nothing better than to get hi on music. when dj manages to surprize time after time after time in one night that what he's made of ... the feeling is comparable to when right at the edge of an orgasm :o

i say

Give it to me, NOW

Guest Meningito

I think you could combine the genres.

I can listen to the hip hop they play in a club on my fm radio.

I don't really like trance or house all that much.

I got some Lost Language stuff though. Some day I will get some

Monster Force, Overdose and Worship stuff.