Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Johnnie Cochran dead

Guest slamminshaun

Guest saintjohn

Why would a Wookie, an eight-foot-tall Wookie, want to live on Endor with a bunch of two-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense. But more important, you have to ask yourself: what does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case. It does not make sense. Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I'm am not making any sense. None of this makes sense, and so you have to remember when you're in that jury room, deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No. Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury it does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor you must acquit. The defense rests.

Guest dgtlfnk

Ahhh.... the Chewbacca defense. Here I was about to thank God, and point out that ol' Johnnie had it comin'. But alas... without him... we'd never have the infamous Chewbacca defense.

laughinghysterical1js.gif

Why would a Wookie, an eight-foot-tall Wookie, want to live on Endor with a bunch of two-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense. But more important, you have to ask yourself: what does this have to do with this case? Nothing. Ladies and gentlemen, it has nothing to do with this case. It does not make sense. Look at me. I'm a lawyer defending a major record company and I'm talkin' about Chewbacca. Does that make sense? Ladies and gentlemen, I'm am not making any sense. None of this makes sense, and so you have to remember when you're in that jury room, deliberating and conjugating the Emancipation Proclamation, does it make sense? No. Ladies and gentlemen of this supposed jury it does not make sense. If Chewbacca lives on Endor you must acquit. The defense rests.

LOL very good.

RIP JOHNNY! I watched the OJ trial religiously... and i thought you were outstanding.

Guest slamminshaun

As current as I am on events, I never heard about the Chewbacca defense.....haha....I can only imagine.

Guest saintjohn

From Wikipedia:

The Chewbacca Defense is a satirical term for any legal strategy that seeks to overwhelm its audience with nonsensical arguments and thus confuse them into failing to take account of the opposing arguments and, ultimately, to reject them. It is thus a kind of logical fallacy, specifically a red herring fallacy and non sequitur similar to argumentum ad nauseam.

The term originated in the animated television series South Park. In its typically hyperbolic style, the show satirized real-life lawyer Johnnie Cochran's closing argument defending O.J. Simpson in his murder trial.

The term Chewbacca Defense was first used in the South Park episode "Chef Aid," which premiered on October 7, 1998 as the fourteenth episode of the second season.

Spoiler warning: Plot or ending details follow.

In the episode, Johnnie Cochran defends a "major record company" against copyright violation charges by regular series character Chef—that the (fictional) song "Stinky Britches" by Alanis Morissette was in fact originally written by Chef, a claim that the story makes obvious to the viewer and is supported by reasonable evidence.

In response, Cochran resorts to his "famous" Chewbacca Defense, which he "used during the Simpson trial", according to another South Park character.

It is perhaps worth noting parenthetically that in the Star Wars series, Chewbacca (a Wookiee) does not in fact live on Endor. It is also worth noting that Ewoks do not live on Endor itself, but rather on its forest moon. It may be worth noting that Chef was the defendant in the case, so "to acquit" would logically mean to find for him, not against him. Above all it may be worth noting that the whole story was written for television.

Johnnie Cochran's legacy: Abusing the legal system for personal profit and freeing at least one murderer in the process. The fact that his memory will be forever linked to the Chewbacca Defense is strangely satisfying.

Guest dgtlfnk

jackie.jpg

"lewd, lascivious, salacious, outrageous!"

"You put the balm on? Who told you to put the balm on? I didn't tell you to put the balm on. Why'd you put the balm on? You haven't even been to see the doctor. If your gonna put a balm on, let a doctor put a balm on!"

:D