Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Northwest Airlines--Anybody Have an Opinion?

Guest Slide On The Ice

Guest Slide On The Ice

I'm taking a trip to Indianapolis in about 3 weeks and I haven't flown since I was 5. I kept putting this off because I dread getting on a plane. It's not that I'm afraid of flying, I'm not. I'm just afraid of crashing. Anyway, I don't want any connecting flights because I want to take off and land as little as possible, and not have to get off one plane I had to push myself to board, only to get on another right after. It seems, from checking Expedia and some other travel sites, that the only nonstop on the days I am going and returning, is Northwest. They are cheap, 141 round trip, but I wonder about the quality of the trip. I did check into some crash statistics and found that Northwest hasn't had a crash since 1990, which is reassuring. I just need to know how enjoyable the actual flight would be, and what the conditions and service onboard are like.

So I wonder, does anybody have any experience and feedback on flying with Northwest?

Guest Slide On The Ice

LOL. Or I could take a Zyprexor and fall asleep as soon as I board. I'm actually going to make sure I have a window seat, because despite being nervous, I'll still be marveling at the sights from the air (I'm still a kid at heart.). I may do the Zanax thing meanwhile, or just have a few strong drinks when I board.

I've flown northworst numerous times and never really had a problem. My homegirl Heather G uses them frequently as well.

If its non-stop for $141, you'd be crazy not to buy it.

I also suggest you try to make your seat assignments as soon as you book the flights..... Ask for a "bulkhead aisle" seat - on the left side of the plane... (bulkhead being forward).

Why the left side - well thats the side the pilot sits on - so if he's gonna crash - he'll more than likely crash the right side first. LOL

;D

Guest Slide On The Ice

LOL Lola. I never thought of the crash from the pilot's perspective before! But you basically gave me info I wanted to hear, positive feedback from a friend I trust. ;)

I was originally planning to fly up early on the 20th but I want to see if I can get off work on the 19th too and get their a day early. Are you in their World Perks program? I was checking seating last night and the only open seats on the flights on either the 19th or 20th that I want, are reserved for people in World Perks so I joined up for free.

Guest shannon_coolj.

SOTI, don't worry.

I used to be afraid of flying (well, crashing) until someone told me that it's more dangerous to drive in a car than riding in a plane. You hear about like 10 car crashes here in Miami every day...but how often do you hear about a plane crash?

Guest Slide On The Ice

SOTI, don't worry.

I used to be afraid of flying (well, crashing) until someone told me that it's more dangerous to drive in a car than riding in a plane. You hear about like 10 car crashes here in Miami every day...but how often do you hear about a plane crash?

True that, I have heard that numberous times too. But at least in a car you usually have some control over it. But in a plane streaking down at 500mph, you have no control whatsoever. Many, many people survive car crashes, but how many survive plane crashes?

Guest Slide On The Ice

It's even safer to stay home. ;D

I see that as a World Perks member the seats I would get are all First Class. No wonder the price went from 141 round trip to 216 +30,000 bonus miles.

Guest JMT

like Slide said... you miss a major issue with that car vs. plane stat. who controls the plane? who controls the car? (i know i can reasonably trust my own driving).

and you are in a car much more often than a plane.

Guest Slide On The Ice

you miss a major issue with that car vs. plane stat. who controls the plane? who controls the car? (i know i can reasonably trust my own driving).

and you are in a car much more often than a plane.

Exactly. That was what I was saying about that:

True that, I have heard that numberous times too. But at least in a car you usually have some control over it. But in a plane streaking down at 500mph, you have no control whatsoever. Many, many people survive car crashes, but how many survive plane crashes?

Guest Slide On The Ice

Which episode of the Twilight Zone?

I bought the ticket on Northwest, and I'm taking a DC-9 flight 637 out of Fort Lauderdale at 11:35am on the 19th. The only seats available were right over the damn wing which fucking sucks because I'll have nothing to stare at but a wing the whole flight. Plus, I won't find out if I can get a window seat until I check in.

Arrrrrgh! *bangs head on brick wall*

Guest JMT

like Slice said...

"Slice"? LMAO! ;D

that was a typo, but it is unintentionally funny. ;D

Lola is talking about "Twighlight Zone the movie". that scene freaked me out for years.

ant11.jpg

Guest LeVeL

I'm taking a trip to Indianapolis in about 3 weeks and I haven't flown since I was 5. I kept putting this off because I dread getting on a plane. It's not that I'm afraid of flying, I'm not. I'm just afraid of crashing.

hey man I feel ya' on this bigtime...I for one hate flying...I am type that gets Air Sick and Pukes everytime I go on a plane. There hasn't been one time that I haven't flown and actually fell asleep during the flight. I stay awake during the whole flight doesn't matter what i am on or how tired I am. I hate flying I always get nervous that the Plane might go down at any minute..I get even worse when the plan gets any type of Turbulence I guess its something as a person you have.

Guest Slide On The Ice

Lola is talking about "Twighlight Zone the movie". that scene freaked me out for years.

ant11.jpg

Fuck yeah.. and now that your on the WING you HAVE TO RENT THE ORIGINAL "TWILIGHT ZONE THE MOVIE"...

Your ass will be more than terrified to fly. lol

Was that when he looked out the window and there was a creature on the wing, or another movie? Vague memories of that scene and only that scene are now coming to me. Ah, so what, terrified shmerified. If I gather the balls to board the plane, I gotta be able to see the ground. That shit will look cool from up there.

Guest Slide On The Ice

drink two or three margaritas before you get on. tequilla goes great with flying. i'm serious

So does sex. I should upgrade my ticket to the mile high club. There's got to be way.

Air ticket to Indiana: 157.00

Drinks on board the plane: 25.00

Getting laid at 30,000 feet: Priceless

Definitely take a xanax. i always do- not to ease tension, that's not an issue for me...i just like to fall asleep and wake up at my destination. I feel like my atoms were telported like in Star Trek. (whatever the term was) A couple weeks ago I flew to Hawaii, and took a xanax....I boarded, fell right asleep, and woke up 10 hours later in paradise. No joke, I slept the entire, entire, entire way. It was amazing. I woke up perky and deboarded- put on shorts in the bathroom and hailed a taxi. Anyone who endures long flights is a moron, in my opinion.

anyway, northwest is a budget airline, so not only will it be kinda uncomfortable, but it will also be filled with trashy people, kids and crying babies. Even more reason to drink a few glasses of wine, then right before take off and take a xanax. Tell your doc you fly a lot for work and have sleeping problems, he/she will prescribe it.

In my opinion, Continental or Delta or American are usually the best bet...in that order. Continental especially....