Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Peter Jennings has lung cancer

Guest JMT

Guest JMT

his special investigative reports made me a fan. hope he makes a full recovery.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ABCNEWS PETER JENNINGS LUNG CANCER

pj.jpg

ABCNEWS anchor Peter Jennings and President David Westin sent the following e-mails to their colleagues this morning:

Westin:

This morning, Peter Jennings told his senior staff at World News Tonight that yesterday afternoon he was diagnosed with lung cancer. I include below the full text of Peter’s note to the group of people with whom he works most closely.

He will begin outpatient treatment next week here in New York. It’s both Peter’s and my expectation that he will anchor World News Tonight during the period of treatment to the extent he can do so comfortably; but, we should also expect him to be off the broadcast from time to time, depending on how he feels.

Charlie Gibson, Elizabeth Vargas, and others will be substituting for Peter as necessary and when their other responsibilities permit.

All of us at ABC News have watched over the years as Peter has led us on various assignments with strength and with courage. We’ve done our best to support him in these endeavors. Now, Peter’s been given a tough assignment.

He’s already bringing to this new challenge the courage and strength we’ve seen so often in his reporting from the field and in anchoring ABC News.

I know that all of us will give him every bit of support that he needs and asks for. Peter will once again lead the way, but we will stand with him at every turn.

Peter Jennings:

Dear All – Forgive me the group mailing – but it seems the easiest way to tell a lot of people I care for ….. about a change in my life.

I have been diagnosed with lung cancer. Yes, it was quite a surprise.

As you all know, this is a challenge. I begin chemo-therapy next week. I will continue to do the broadcast.

There will be good days and bad, which means that some days I may be cranky and some days really cranky! Almost 10 million Americans are living with cancer.

I am sure I will learn from them how to cope with the facts of life that none of us anticipated.

In all the years I have worked here I have had the most outstanding support from this news division.

Hundreds of you have been like family. It feels good to have such a family right now.

Peter

Guest Cosmigonon

I specially enjoyed his Ecstasy report. One of the best investigative reports on drugs I've ever seen...

Guest swirlundergrounder

He just was on ABC news tonight telling the world of his condition. His voice was really scatchy. It was weird to hear a voice that I've been hearing all of my life sound the way it did....makes me never want to smoke a cigarette again. not like I smoke much anyways....

Guest LeVeL

Yeah this is very sad news, I dont wish Cancer on anyone. Its fucked up...hopefully he can make a recovery and then he can tell the world about it :-\