Clubplanet Nightlife Community

click beep boom is no more

Guest ramon

Guest pod

Good way to get a gig in this town.

There's called sticking to your ideals, then there's just being stupid.

Insulting your potential crowd, and potential employers isn't exactly the paragon of intelligence. Industry people do read this board. If I was a club owner and saw you slagging on my club, I'd make a note not to book you.

And as far as the audience? Well, if you hold everyone in the city in contempt, word'll get around, and whatever gig you managed to get would go down in flames.

Oh, and please define what real dance music is? You mean to tell me when I go out to listen to DJs I like, I'm not hearing real dance music? Oscar G doesn't play real dance music? Cedric Gervais doesn't? Ralph doesn't? DHM doesn't? Edgar doesn't?

Last time I checked, dance music encompasses everything from minimal techno all the way up to disco house.

Art for art's sake is nice. But you gotta eat. I shoot for fun and I shoot for money. The club stuff recently turned into money, but before that I would do bog-standard corporate stuff in order to pay the bills. And I still do.

Money is a part of society.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JMT
Oh, and please define what real dance music is? You mean to tell me when I go out to listen to DJs I like, I'm not hearing real dance music? Oscar G doesn't play real dance music? Cedric Gervais doesn't? Ralph doesn't? DHM doesn't? Edgar doesn't?

Last time I checked, dance music encompasses everything from minimal techno all the way up to disco house.

thank you.

Guest pod

I could easily say that minimal techno bores me. But I'm not since I try to respect what others are into. I went to Ramon's party to show support for my friend, despite the fact I'm not into the music as much as he is. There's some techno I like, but some I don't. But I'm not gonna go out swinging calling the fanbase a bunch of retards and so forth. People wanna hang at a techno party, fine. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Oh, and not all of us had the honor and privilege of being around here in the early to mid 1990s. Some of us got started a bit later.

Guest macboy

As a regular at Ramon's previous weekly, I think he's done an admirable job of expanding the musical horizons of his audience. Mr. Nova, on the other hand, doesn't seem to want any part of that. I think he's only looking to have the techno snobs show up at his gigs. Stop hating on your potential audience. Ramon is smart and is casting a wider net.

My own opinion reagarding the failure of these weeklies? I'll leave that in PMs. But I know you will persevere Ramon. Good luck. 8)

Guest r3nz0
The UNFORTUNATE truth is that this party won't happen again (the right way....meaning good sound , good venue) unless SPACE , CROBAR , OR ANY OTHER OF these STUPID venues start a techno night .....in which they'll probably have IVANO BELLINI , CEDRIC G. , OR EDGAR V. (sorry edgar) play some WATERED down version of what REAL dance music IS.

I can understand you being mad at the fact that the party has been shut down. I was there supporting Ramon, with several people from this board, and we all wanted this party to be successful and take off.

But you cannot let your passion make you say the dumb things you have just said. Edgar plays down "watered-down version of what real dance music is?" Why, because you don't like trance, it's "watered down?" LOL. I have heard Edgar play some techno that would you cream your shit and think it's Liebing on the decks. I absolutely love techno, but saying it's the only true form of "real dance music" is ignorant. And even if I really thought it was, I would never insult other people's tastes. You will get nowhere doing so.

You mean to tell me producers/DJs like Sebastian Ingrosso, Steve Angello, Mark Knight, Tom Neville, Nic Fanciulli, etc. are all playing an imitation of what "real dance music" is? No, they're not. Because those are the productions that Cedric is playing, and you called him "watered-down" as well.

The great thing about electronic music nowadays is that the musical genre lines are blurring, and it has become that much more difficult to label what DJs are spinning. And I think that's great. Labels are gay, anyway.

Of course it was gonna be VERY hard for the click.beep.boom party to compete with the megaclubs on a Friday at South Beach. That was obvious. But I believe that if anyone can do it, it'll be Ramon. Wherever he decides to take this party, we will support him.

Guest shannon_coolj.

Nova, I understand how you feel but I still think you're limiting your view of things.

No, I wasn't in Miami back in "the day," but I was in Atlanta when the first party I went to (early 90's) was in an old meat-packing factory. It was hearsay and very underground. And the underground continued there for quite a while.

Pod's right; dance music encompasses everything from trance to techno to gay house. What you think is crap may be great to someone else.

My husband and I are HUGE minimal techno fans and we make fun of trance. But you know what? Trance is dance too and people who like it feel passionate about it (like I do for minimal).

And that's bullshit what you say about the "superclubs." Space books Josh Wink, for God's sake!! He's amazing! Ok, his DJ skills aren't amazing (neither is Richie Hawtin's) but track selection is incredible.

Your analogy to Picasso doesn't make sense. You're only doing it from your point of view. To you, a techno DJ may be Picasso, but to another person, Tiesto may be Picasso.

Back when dance was "underground," it wasn't really an industry , was it? Not many people made money on it back then. But now, DJ's and producers have the chance to make money by doing what they love. Yeah, it's become a bit commercialized (that's the trade-off) but I'm proud that the industry is growing and so is the fan base.

Guest mursa

8) Techno !!!!!

..since miami is a "sheeps" town when it comes to clubbing for the most part ..... I just look @ Techno nights as a Special occasion , and enjoy them to the max when they do come .

Guest mursa

minimal techno :) thats the kind that is "my cup of tea" (josh winkkk rocks)

josh wink , minimal ?? lmao !!!

Bling ...please return to your American Idol thread , thanx

:)

Guest shannon_coolj.

Another note: Miami is not a techno city; that's why techno-themed parties and nights tend to fail.

However, there are other cities in the world that are techno cities and probably, if you started a trance or house night there, it may have problems.

I admire Ramon so much for starting up the night. I wish I could have made it to the parties but couldn't. In fact, I was so happy he was starting up the night, I was getting him Magda and Matthew Dear cheap for a future party. Too bad it didn't work out (for now!)

:-\

Guest shannon_coolj.

8) Techno !!!!!

..since miami is a "sheeps" town when it comes to clubbing for the most part ..... I just look @ Techno nights as a Special occasion , and enjoy them to the max when they do come .

Really? Did you get a chance to attend Matthew Dear at Jazzid during WMC? AMAZING!!!! Best set I heard at the conference.

Guest pod

Sheep town? Name a non-sheep town with equivalent venues or better? Don't say Ibiza either because that is only seasonal, and like anywhere else there are forms more dominant than others.

Yeah Miami folk tend to follow the leader sometimes, but therein lies an opportunity to be the leader.

Then again, I'm not going out just for the music. If I wanna just listen to music, I can do that at home. I go out for the music, the crowd, the visual element, and more.

Guest pod

And yeah, Miami isn't really a techno town. So fucking what. It makes travel that much more interesting. Techno gives Detroit it's only form of tourism really.

Guest LdySphynx

And yeah, Miami isn't really a techno town. So fucking what. It makes travel that much more interesting. Techno gives Detroit it's only form of tourism really.

POD for Mayor of Detroit ;D

WHY :-\??

The UNFORTUNATE truth is that this party won't happen again (the right way....meaning good sound , good venue) unless SPACE , CROBAR , OR ANY OTHER OF these STUPID venues start a techno night .....in which they'll probably have IVANO BELLINI , CEDRIC G. , OR EDGAR V. (sorry edgar) play some WATERED down version of what REAL dance music IS.

I can understand you being mad at the fact that the party has been shut down. I was there supporting Ramon, with several people from this board, and we all wanted this party to be successful and take off.

But you cannot let your passion make you say the dumb things you have just said. Edgar plays down "watered-down version of what real dance music is?" Why, because you don't like trance, it's "watered down?" LOL. I have heard Edgar play some techno that would you cream your shit and think it's Liebing on the decks. I absolutely love techno, but saying it's the only true form of "real dance music" is ignorant. And even if I really thought it was, I would never insult other people's tastes. You will get nowhere doing so.

You mean to tell me producers/DJs like Sebastian Ingrosso, Steve Angello, Mark Knight, Tom Neville, Nic Fanciulli, etc. are all playing an imitation of what "real dance music" is? No, they're not. Because those are the productions that Cedric is playing, and you called him "watered-down" as well.

The great thing about electronic music nowadays is that the musical genre lines are blurring, and it has become that much more difficult to label what DJs are spinning. And I think that's great. Labels are gay, anyway.

Of course it was gonna be VERY hard for the click.beep.boom party to compete with the megaclubs on a Friday at South Beach. That was obvious. But I believe that if anyone can do it, it'll be Ramon. Wherever he decides to take this party, we will support him.

Your ok Renzo I dont care what they say about you.. 8)

Guest mursa

Sheep town? Name a non-sheep town with equivalent venues or better? Don't say Ibiza either because that is only seasonal, and like anywhere else there are forms more dominant than others.

Yeah Miami folk tend to follow the leader sometimes, but therein lies an opportunity to be the leader.

Then again, I'm not going out just for the music. If I wanna just listen to music, I can do that at home. I go out for the music, the crowd, the visual element, and more.

Yes, sheep town ! ..........hey it is what it is .

c'est la vie !

Guest LdySphynx

c'est la vie !

I'm a LAMB thank you :P!!!

Guest mursa

c'est la vie !

I'm a LAMB thank you :P!!!

Lamb !!! mmmmmmmmmmmm que rico ! :P

Guest DJ Nova

My argument is for the "art" form of "DJing" , I'm sure all your favorite miami djs' play good tracks from time to time (and I didn't dis ALL miami djs....oscar , ralph , cue are good friends and great djs) BUT if you have time to lift up your hands and praise the crowd while you're djing....are you really "DJing"......seriously . Imagine Pink Floyd , instead of being completely into the music when they played LIVE , striking chords and such to waive there hands in the air for approval ?!? Notice , that the REAL talented djs of the world DON'T DO that (unless they're done djing for the night or they're sven vath...he's been around long enough he can get away with it!) these are just small things here & there......it doesn't apply to everyone , so please don't take it out of context . Also , in response to josh wink , yes he is dope , that's NOT who I'm talking about , I'm talking about sasha ,danny howells , lee burridge , paul oakendyke , tiesto , all all these other fools that just PLAY records from begining to end.......there is BARELY an art form when you do that . You may not agree with me , but that is my opinion , why.....because REAL DJS work , constantly in the mix , some records are in longer than others ......but change is the essence . When every song a dj plays has a build up ...it so predictable.......why would you want to know exactly what's gonna happen.......? Yes dope djs come to Miami , but the majority is a bunch of global underground GARBAGE . (and yes danny t. is dope...I'm not dissing him)

But what about the guys that have been djing since the early 80's ??? they come around once a year , then poooff.....same old miami shit , and if you noticed , Miami has been warding off the international scene and that's why some of the greats never came back . The Conference week is now saturated with house & trance , which wouldn't be a bad thing normally......BUT it's a long ways away from the early 90's when that week in Miami was THE place to for EVERYONE in the INDUSTRY....not just the house & trance djs , producers , labels.........I'm not here to get in a pissing contest , ths is my last reply , you can email me privately if you'd like we can continue this discussion . I did want to address one more comment , the one about picasso . When pablo was young , he was not appreciated as much as he is today , people saw his work and it looked to wierd , different . WE KNOW today that the man was brilliant . Just like that , the people that I am talking to you about ...do NOT get the respect they deserve . They are like picasso in that way , so my question to you is ......do you think picasso is dope ? If your answer is yes , than you should look into the artists I am refering to , they are the truest forms of dance / eletronic music ...and you will appreciate that . If your answer is NO , then you have issues with what REAL art is .

*DISCLAIMER* These views do NOT reflect those of ramon crespo or anyone else but myself . AND I TOO commend him for trying the night , I'm in no way mad or upset with his efforts , I am just venting my frustration for a city that does NOT on a MAJOR level support true art forms , one of them being the art of the "DJ" .

Also , for the comments on not getting booked in miami because of MY comments ........since local promoters and club owners do Read these postings ,

FUCK YOUR NIGHT & YOUR CLUB & FUCK YOU .

Ido Apologize to the people that will not get to experience my dj sets in Miami at "those" clubs .

Guest pod

Talk about picky. Every dang DJ I know will put their hands up at least once during a set, even if for a moment. And I know or have seen just about every dang DJ.

And depending on the song, sometimes you'd see one of the Pink Floyd members salute the crowd. Hell, I put my arm up sometimes at a club. Carrying a two pound camera makes me do that sometimes. Am I less of an artist? Or should I tough it out with my hands at my sides?

Maybe to a certain subset, WMC has been scaring them away, but since I've been doing this, I haven't seen people not show up due to any form of overcommericalization. Conference is dominated by house and trance, yeah, but that is how things go. The house and trance DJs have the money to spend to advertise more and throw the bigger parties. Ten years from now, it might be techno DJs. What are you gonna do when Sven Väth throws the biggest party of WMC? Write him off as crap? Oh, and last time I checked, Sven's not doing too bad in the money dept. If he can afford to do things like Cocoon and so forth, he's not exactly broke.

Every time some formerly off-the-radar scene starts to do well or be noticed by the bulk of the population, you get your people who start crying sell-out at every turn.

Just for kicks, I have (no lie) forwarded this thread to a few people I know in town that could have given you work.

Ya know, I went out to Ramons night to support not only him but the music and the djs that dont get to play out much (including you, Nova). In fact Nova came up to me and thanked me for coming out and supporting the night. But now I see that he really is a closed-minded individual who thinks his opinions are the only ones that are right and has insulted me, the music I love, the clubs I love and the djs I love. I have to say that I do not plan to support him at all in the future and I highly recomend that Ramon drops him from any future bookings as he is making what Ramon does look bad. Even with the "disclaimer" anyone who books you is an idiot because it seems as though if you dont get your way you are just going to jump up and down and scream and cry...GROW UP AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN...SHIT HAPPENS. Get some class and handle yourself professionally. As a dj you are in the public eye and right now you look like a moron.

Ya know, I went out to Ramons night to support not only him but the music and the djs that dont get to play out much (including you, Nova). In fact Nova came up to me and thanked me for coming out and supporting the night. But now I see that he really is a closed-minded individual who thinks his opinions are the only ones that are right and has insulted me, the music I love, the clubs I love and the djs I love. I have to say that I do not plan to support him at all in the future and I highly recomend that Ramon drops him from any future bookings as he is making what Ramon does look bad. Even with the "disclaimer" anyone who books you is an idiot because it seems as though if you dont get your way you are just going to jump up and down and scream and cry...GROW UP AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN...SHIT HAPPENS. Get some class and handle yourself professionally. As a dj you are in the public eye and right now you look like a moron.

interesting.jpg