Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Quick! Need Advice on Digital Cameras STAT!

Guest Slide On The Ice

Guest Slide On The Ice

Not a moment to waste! I'm leaving in a few minutes to go to either Brandsmart, Wolk, or Ritz. I've done a lot of comparing online and Ritz and Wolf are pretty much the same prices, but Brandsmart does not show their prices online. I was there yesterday and the prices I saw did seem high but I don't really know.

What digital camera do you have and are you happy with it? I like Nikon, always have, and am looking at the Coolpix 4800 4mp w/ 36-300 zoom; the 5600 5mp w/ a zoom; and the 5900 5mp w/ 38-114 zoom. I also like the Nikon 7600 and the Canon Powershot AZ95 5mp cameras. Or anything better. I want a 4mega pixel minimum or preferably 5mp camera with a zoom lense.

What should I do? I have to buy a camera today! I wasted all yesterday shopping for cameras and getting nothing, so I have to do this NOW! Thanks!

Help me Junkie-Wan, you're my only hope!

Guest Slide On The Ice

I'm going to Indy on Tuesday and I have a lot of prepping to do, and already blew yesterday and today not making my mind up. So I was about to rush out, yeah. I'm checking out a Kodak DX6490 4mp 38-380mm zoom cam at Office Max, and then try Wallmart and then Brandsmart again and maybe go to Ritz again.

I'm also liking the simpler Nikon Coolpix 4800, the 5900, 5600, and 7600 cams.

Guest Slide On The Ice

That Canon G6 is sweet. It's above the 300 to 400 range that I want to be in, but the 7 million pixels is impressive for that price.

Guest macboy

Canon. For sure. I'm on my second P&S, and they take great pics with little fuss. 4MP is definitely enough to get you great pics, if you don't want to spend more for a 7MP cam.

Guest Slide On The Ice

Thanks for that guys. I wound up not going because it was getting late and I wanted to take more time to make a decision. So I have more time to read all your feedback and suggestion. Any more info or people with other cameras?

Guest barstar diana

Go Canon. And are you really in a rush? I can list recommendations if you want to wait a sec.

ya i have a cannon, the power shot sd 200 with optical zoom, great quality pics and fun features >:) its 3.1 mega pixels so it will fill up to a full page and get nice pic quality...if you want to make pics bigger than that go with the ones pod said...mine is like the baby of them only 199 thats a geat price btw

Guest LeVeL

I mean I myself would go with a Canon but I have 2 family members who have them and the pictures are good quality and the zoom is not bad at all.

But anyways..I am in the market for a Digittal Camcorder right now and my first decision would be Canon...I wouldn't go with anything else eventhough the Sony Camcorders are very Temting too.. ;)

I have a Canon too. Pretty good shots. All I've ever heard from people when talking about cameras is to buy from a camera company, not an electronics company (although I've also heard that the new Sonys have great lenses in them...)

What do people think about megapixles? Anything more than 4 is more than you need as far as I'm concerned...unless you're making prints larger than 8x10...most of my shots are just online anyway...

Guest pod

Megapixels aren't the final say. What you really should look into is sensor size. Sony crammed 8 MP into a small sensor like 2 years ago, and the image quality sucked. The 828 is a horrid camera. Sony's cameras are OK at best. Oddly enough, they make Nikon's sensors too. Canon has their own sensor fab and a huge R & D division just for camera sensors. Nikon has to wait and see what Sony comes up with.

What you want is a larger sensor. My current camera is 6.3 MP, but the sensor is large, so I can make almost noise-free prints up to 20 x 24 inches, and acceptable images up to 24 x 36.

However, most consumer cameras have small sensors. If you want a large sensor you have to step up to a digital SLR. Don't be scared though, you can get one for around $700 used nowadays (Canon 300D...6.3 MP sensor....) ...