Clubplanet Nightlife Community

City of God (DVD)

Guest swirlundergrounder

A 'C' at best? You just lost your 'c' in 'c'ool junkie and it's been replaced with an 'f'...'f'ool junkke'... :P

Guest swirlundergrounder

'f'...'f'ool junkke'... :P

is that dutch or something????

Yeah how did you know........?

[move]j/k 8)[/move]

Guest eatbiscuits

i thought it was a flick, very much an A plus.....and it is a critically acclaimed film as well.

Agreed 110%

If you didn't like this movie, you either didnt understand it, or you're a fawkin sissy.

Agreed 110%

If you didn't like this movie, you either didnt understand it, or you're a fawkin sissy.

over-hyped...the DVD says "one of the best films you'll ever see!"....lol...i can name many films that can top City of God...dont get me wrong it was ok, but not "a" list stuff...

Guest swirlundergrounder
Agreed 110%

over-hyped...the DVD says "one of the best films you'll ever see!"....lol...i can name many films that can top City of God...dont get me wrong it was ok, but not "a" list stuff...

That's why it was called 'One Of The Best Films' you'll ever see and not the best onw you'll ever see. and in some sense it was one of the best films I have ever seen....

That's why it was called 'One Of The Best Films' you'll ever see and not the best onw you'll ever see. and in some sense it was one of the best films I have ever seen....

bro u cannot seriously believe the garbage that u posted, do u? its not even close to being associated with that phrase...come on now...i stand by what i said solid "c"

Guest swirlundergrounder

bro u cannot seriously believe the garbage that u posted, do u? its not even close to being associated with that phrase...come on now...i stand by what i said solid "c"

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. You may grade the movie as a 'C' and I graded it and 'A'. Who's to say who's right or wrong...Altough I think you are....LOL....

The reason why I liked it so much was because very few films (non documentary films) really do a good job in capturing the essence of the differnet world views of people. This one I thought did. From the casting to the cinemetography. It truly made me feel as if I were right there with the charcaters in the 'City Of God'...The buildings the street slums, the little kids they casted, the plight that they all go through everday, the dangers and the small hopes that they each have and the opportunities within their realm that they strive for which is to be the next big drug dealer.. I think the movie captures the harsh reality that they existed in....

Guest eatbiscuits
Agreed 110%

Please list 5 titles..

i'll stay away from the classics...like Godfather, b/c that wouldnt be fair...so i will undershoot on purpose:

Kids

Requiem for a Dream

Trainspotting

Memento

Amor es Perro

these movies are WAAAY better...and i still can name or movies that were better than City of God...AGAIN: decent movie, but def. not one of the best i have ever seen...

Guest eatbiscuits

I tend to prefer happy endings over sad ones.

None of those movies you listed have a half decent, well thought out plot as City of God.

None of those movies you listed have a half decent, well thought out plot as City of God.

lol..and those plots were STILL better than City of God...bro ur making no sense, ur a walking contradiction...if u prefer happy endings over sad ones, how can u like City of God? go watch Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory if u want happy endings...leave the REAL movies to the adults...lol

Guest eatbiscuits

lol..and those plots were STILL better than City of God...bro ur making no sense, ur a walking contradiction...if u prefer happy endings over sad ones, how can u like City of God? go watch Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory if u want happy endings...leave the REAL movies to the adults...lol

City of God has a happy ending, that's if you were paying attention at all. And you're right, I'd never dream of watching a REAL movie like Kids. Please.. you're 27 and those are the only movies you can come up with that you think are better than City of God?

Guest ddg

i'll stay away from the classics...like Godfather, b/c that wouldnt be fair...so i will undershoot on purpose:

Kids

Requiem for a Dream

Trainspotting

Memento

Amor es Perro

we have similar tastes in movies...requiem for a dream is an all time favorite of mine...memento as well....

leaving las vegas tops my list in terms of unhappy endings..

City of God has a happy ending, that's if you were paying attention at all. And you're right, I'd never dream of watching a REAL movie like Kids. Please.. you're 27 and those are the only movies you can come up with that you think are better than City of God?

Godfather 1&2

Citizen Kane

Raging Bull (infact ANY Martin Scorcese film)

i dont know where the happy ending in City of God is: 1) they kill his brother, 2) he lives in fear the whole time of Lil Dice, 3) he doesnt get to bang his childhood sweetheart and 4) Benny takes his childhood sweethear and then eventually is killed...BUT he did get a new camera and got an internship in a newspaper, so i guess the two things negate all the other things i listed...ur right IT IS a happy feelgood movie...and if u could go back and re-read what i put, i undershot on purpose in regards to films...Kids smacks City of God in face, just on the "shock" value...Kids was not shown in all of the movies and was not carried by many video rental places because of the subject matter, much like The Last Temptation of Jesus Christ (another pretty good movie)...City of God brought nothing NEW to the table, i guess since its a foreign film we should do backflips and label it "the best film u will ever see" (what a joke)...i think it was a good movie, just not movie that WOWS u to death...in my other review of Hotel Rwanda, i think that is a good movie...well thought out...good subject matter, great acting...etc...all elements of a good movie...dont know why ur defending this movie sooooo much, do u work for the movie studio? ;)

we have similar tastes in movies...requiem for a dream is an all time favorite of mine...memento as well....

leaving las vegas tops my list in terms of unhappy endings..

Leaving Las Vegas i liked b/c it def. pushed the envelope and showed a diff. type of love story...i thought it was pretty good movie...

Guest swirlundergrounder

Kids

Requiem for a Dream

Trainspotting

Memento

Amor es Perro

these movies are WAAAY better...and i still can name or movies that were better than City of God...AGAIN: decent movie, but def. not one of the best i have ever seen...

I have all of these movies except Amor es Perro and I still say City Of God is better than all of them.

Guest ddg

different movies mean different things for different people......city of god kinda touched close to home to me bc i was born down there in argentina ( i know the film was in brazil) but lots of places are like that down there....

its a very gritty movie...imo

havent seen amor es perros....been meaning to get around to that..

btw mrmatas..what did you think of eternal sunshine of the spotless mind....different kind of love story...i liked it as well..

Guest eatbiscuits

Kids

Requiem for a Dream

Trainspotting

Memento

Amor es Perro

I have all of these movies except Amor es Perro and I still say City Of God is better than all of them.

'nuff said

btw mrmatas..what did you think of eternal sunshine of the spotless mind....different kind of love story...i liked it as well..

very good movie..def. better than City of God (waiting for the two lovers to say otherwise)..i like movies that are diff. and push boundaries and offer something new...

Guest swirlundergrounder

very good movie..def. better than City of God (waiting for the two lovers to say otherwise)..i like movies that are diff. and push boundaries and offer something new...

Still think C.O.G takes the cake...