Clubplanet Nightlife Community

which is your favorite DJ MIXER ?

Guest Diaga

Guest Seb

Pioneer 600 or 3000

ya ya I know that Allen & Heath and Rane have superiour sound qualtiy but the pioneer is just more fun to use IMO. I'm an effects guy and you can't find a mixer with the same dynamic capablities as a pioneer 600. 8)

Guest Adam Singer

those pioneers are crap...allen and heath are lightyears ahead in terms of product quality and sound quality...

at least imo :)

Guest web_norah

FYI - -

Audiotistic: The annual MIPAs (Musikmesse International Press Award) were recently announced. The honors have 58 music and industry magazines from around the world vote on what they think are the best pro audio products of the last year. And the selected winners are ...

-Groove Box category: Roland MC 909 (also nominated -- Akai MPC 1000 and Korg Electribe SX).

-DJ Softwear/DJ Tools category: Ableton Live 4 (also nominated -- Stanton Final Scratch and Native Instruments' Traktor).

-Recording Softwear category: Cakewalk Sonar 4 (also nominated -- Ableton Live 4 and Apple Logic Pro 7).

-Softwear Instruments category: Korg Legacy Collection (also nominated -- Native Instruments Absynth 3 and Arturia Arp 2300 V).

-Sampler category: Steinberg Halion 3 (also nominated -- Emu Emulator X and Native Instruments Kontakt 2).

-Synthesizer category: Access Virus (also nominated -- Dave Smith Instruments Poly Evolver and Alesis Micron).

-Best Innovative Product category (the top award): Apple GarageBand (also nominated -- Line 6 Variax Acoustic and Spectrasonics Stylus RMX).

Guest lyrik

I don't know why everyone always talks bad about the pioneers - I persoanlly love them never had a problem with them and they are excellent for studio and home use - I guess if its sound quality for a nightclub then okay I can see going high end - but even still I could care less about a rane - I hate rotary mixers - they are not all that IMO and they are designed for one style of mixing and if you are a Dj that uses the fader(s) a lot they limit your capabilites IMO. I have 3 friends that went Allen & Heath and all 3 went back to the DJM600 because the A & H wore out within a years time and also the faders get really loose - bleeding channels etc just like hear with substandard mixers - the pioneers take a beating and keep going with little or no effect on the sound output - at least thats my experience...and ya I like the effects on the 600 a lot too.

Guest web_norah

i think the big deal with Pioneer is two things, the amount of tricks you are able to do with the CDJ 800/ 1000 and just like everything else, they're the standard mixers at most clubs and the high-end brand, sort of speak.

Guest patmc

You are forgetting the biggest bargain on the market - the behringer DJX-700 - only 179 bucks! I have one for home use and in six months it hasnt screwed up once (although the effects are rubbish)

Seriously though, A&H rule the roost, after URIE's of course.

Guest Seb

those pioneers are crap...allen and heath are lightyears ahead in terms of product quality and sound quality...

agreed yes for sound quality, product quality on the other hand totally disagree. I've had my pioneer for close to 4 years now and its still in great shape. Refer to Lyrik's post regarding A&H's durability. People that talk shit about pioneer's obviously don't use effects, if any mixer is light years ahead it's pioneer. Pioneer is the mixer thats bringing in new features and capabilities where mixers like Rane are just offering the same standard features.

Guest AlanS

Biggest problem I have with A&H is their install base, is there any? I'd rather stick with a battlefield tested product.

Guest swirlundergrounder

agreed yes for sound quality, product quality on the other hand totally disagree. I've had my pioneer for close to 4 years now and its still in great shape. Refer to Lyrik's post regarding A&H's durability. People that talk shit about pioneer's obviously don't use effects, if any mixer is light years ahead it's pioneer. Pioneer is the mixer thats bringing in new features and capabilities where mixers like Rane are just offering the same standard features.

But in a club scenario a Rane can take more abuse than a Pioneer. Pioneers are great mixers don't get me wrong. When it comes down to home or a small studio use I prefer a Pioneer. But out in a club / live setting I perfer a Rane. Not so much the rotary but the older 4 channel MP-44. The mixer practically mixes itself.

mp-44.gif

I myself have a Roland DJ 2000 at home that I'm very happy with

ImageFromDB.aspx?imgid=2042

The effects board on these have much capabilites than the DJM series....

Guest web_norah

for the party i had a few weeks ago, i found out that the old school DJs like rotary mixers, i never knew that ???

Guest Seb

dj-2000.gif

That looks pretty sweet. What kind of effects does this thing have? Can you apply effects based on the A/B crossfader?

Guest swirlundergrounder

That looks pretty sweet. What kind of effects does this thing have? Can you apply effects based on the A/B crossfader?

Here's some of the main specs

* Four-channel DJ-style mixer with professional specs and great sound quality

* Three-band independent EQ per channel with two-band EQ for main Mic

* Onboard three-band Isolator for instant, radical EQ shifts "on the fly"

* 10 Onboard Digital Signal Processing effects including Delay, Flanger, Slicer, Overdrive + Delay, Overdrive + Flanger, Auto Pan, Filter, Robot, Voice Transformer and "Jao"

* Automatic BPM calculation and MIDI Clock output for syncing records and audio CD's with MIDI gear

* Assignable Cross Fader (optional replacements available through Roland)

* Dedicated Monitor section with assignable Cue/Sampler output

* Selectable Phono/Line inputs; dual Mic inputs; selectable Level Meter

Thing does so much I don't even use a quarter of the features that it has..

Guest lyrik

Back like 7-8 years ago that roland (or the DJ1000 - not sure) was the best out there - haven't heard much from it lately - but then again I heavn't heard anything bad ever about it.

Norah - ya a lot of old schoolers prefer the rotary f- hell even a lot of the newer guys and girls too - seems like those mixers always win out - but for me I just feel better with faders in place of knobs - prob goes back to my heavy handed thing again - I usually end up cranking knobs waaay to much.

Guest web_norah
ya a lot of old schoolers prefer the rotary f- hell even a lot of the newer guys and girls too - seems like those mixers always win out - but for me I just feel better with faders in place of knobs - prob goes back to my heavy handed thing again - I usually end up cranking knobs waaay to much

yeah Annie Nightingale prefers the rotary for example. and she has been spinning for a very LONG time, using vinyl only.

Guest pod

Rotary was the mix method of choice for a long time. Still is for 90 percent of the DJs out there that play out. Very few DJs spec a linear mixer.

In regards to the effects of the 600, you can get an outboard unit and put it in the effects loop of any decent mixer. The 600 is best for home use, I wouldn't stick it into my club install.

If you want to stay Pioneer, go with the DJM-1000. They've made massive strides with it, and it is actually suitable for high-end club use.

However, I'm a new fan of this:

ff6000.png

ff6000-rotary.png

Best of both worlds, and 2 discrete effects loops.

Guest Adam Singer

i worked in a club with a djm for over a year...then we replaced it with an allen and heath...

wow...there was no comparison...blew it away!

Guest michael^heaven

---I thought that I was the only one using the Dj-2000!! ;)

Guest swirlundergrounder

---I thought that I was the only one using the Dj-2000!! ;)

I thought I was also

Guest eKiTeL

the best sound is from the UREI, Pioneers sound pretty good too, but the ones I've used usually have 1 channel out of comission, the Rane rotary mixer sound quality is not great at all, but the build is solid

I have a Rane Empath with faders, I love how it's laid out, it's great for performance, the sound could be better though

can't comment on A&H..... yet