Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Poll: Most in U.S. say Iraq war not worthwhile

Guest trancepriest

Guest trancepriest

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A majority of Americans do not believe it was worth going to war in Iraq, a national poll reported Tuesday.

Fifty-seven percent of those polled said they did not believe it was worth going to war, versus 41 percent who said it was, according to a CNN/USA Today/Gallup poll of 1,006 adults.

That was a drop in support from February, when 48 percent said it was worth going to war and half said it was not.

It's also the highest percentage of respondents who have expressed those feelings and triple the percentage of Americans who said that it was not worth the cost shortly after the war began about two years ago.

The new poll question, asked by telephone on April 29-May 1, had a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points.

Asked how things are going for the United States in Iraq, 56 percent said "badly" or "very badly," up from 45 percent in March.

Forty-two percent said "well" or "very well," down from 52 percent in March.

The margin of error for that question was plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Americans appeared evenly divided over whether the decision to send U.S. troops to Iraq was a mistake, with 49 percent saying yes and 48 percent saying no. The sampling error was plus or minus 5 points.

Early Tuesday, the U.S. military found the body of a pilot from one of two missing Marine Corps F/A-18 jets that Navy officials believe collided while flying in operations in Iraq. (Full story)

The number of U.S. troops who have died in the Iraq war stands at 1,587, according to the military.

A poll conducted in February showed that the January 30 Iraqi elections produced a bump in President Bush's approval rating. In that poll, 55 percent of Americans said the Iraq war was not a mistake. (Full story)

Political negotiations since then have delayed the formation of a new government.

But on Tuesday, Iraqi politicians were putting the finishing touches on the nation's new Cabinet, with Shiite Arab leader Ibrahim al-Jaafari sworn in as prime minister.

More than 100 Iraqis, most of them security forces and civilians, have died in insurgent attacks since last Thursday, when Iraq's transitional National Assembly approved a partial Cabinet list.

Guest JMT

to who?

The Marine Corps War God. WAR Bring it! HaHa.. the joy of seeing ya'll easy living motherfuckers in the trenches.

step away from the glue please.

Guest Devilicious

and tiesto is the #1 dj in the world.

I secretly pray for the draft. 8)

I heard an interesting piece on NPR regarding this not too long ago. One bold democratic senator has the guts to stand up for what he believes and say that yes, he does support a draft.

The reason? Because when that happens the rich folks' kids have to face the prospect of going to war like the low-income minorities who are being targeted by the military today. We all know money is power; the people with the money have the power, and those people won't let their kids die for a war that is trivial or simply for the special interest of our president.

Guest JMT

I heard an interesting piece on NPR regarding this not too long ago. One bold democratic senator has the guts to stand up for what he believes and say that yes, he does support a draft.

The reason? Because when that happens the rich folks' kids have to face the prospect of going to war like the low-income minorities who are being targeted by the military today. We all know money is power; the people with the money have the power, and those people won't let their kids die for a war that is trivial or simply for the special interest of our president.

i dont see how that is that standing up for what one believes if the sole purpose is only to 'one-up the rich folk'.

Guest web_norah

i am a little confused too

elaborate on the draft and rich people having to do with each other

i understand the rich usually dont end up going in the trenches or in the army....but something there isnt well formulated

Guest LeVeL

And dont forget us latins too but anyways...its truly amazintg how much anger you have built inside yourself especially when your sitting behind your desk typing all this crap.

As far as soldiers are concerned, well they chose the life of being in the military and representing the country and oblying to anything the commander and chief and congress commands.

Yeah there are soldiers dieing overthere but we dont need you to remind us. We see it everyday in the news, its truly something seeing you come here with this stupid poll and makking it look like we dont care.

But you know what sooner or later this was going to happen and I wished this takeover would of been done 15 years ago during Dessert Storm but it wasn't its unfortunate that we dont live in a perfect world but that just reality.

Guest Devilicious

i dont see how that is that standing up for what one believes if the sole purpose is only to 'one-up the rich folk'.

lol

I don't think that was at all what the senator was looking to do. After all they're pretty well off themselves.

Personally I don't want a draft, because I don't want to be drafted; I just think he makes an interesting case.

I believe what he was trying to say is war should be taken more seriously. If there's a chance the kids of the people with the power are going to war, which there is not now, our government would be forced to think more seriously about the consequences.

Even more simply, Bush wouldn't be starting unneccesary wars if there was a chance his daughters were going to die fighting in them.

Guest mursa

..The powerful don't want a draft because it'll mean that there's a chance that their silver-spooned children may be sacrificed ...

...for the time being recruiting low income minorities in our nations high-schools with the promise of college tuition is enough .

Guest slamminshaun

the draft has nothing to do with not wanting their own daughters and sons to go to war....don't you think they have the connections to make sure their kids wouldn't end up in the draft anyway?

The draft is a political death sentence first of all. Secondly, its hard to win a war when most of the troops didn't sign up for it in the first place. A volunteer army has more spirit then a forced army.

Guest web_norah

war is death sentence...especially now that everyday some car bomb or building with people get blown up

Guest slamminshaun

war is death sentence...especially now that everyday some car bomb or building with people get blown up

Hmmm....we went to war when? 2003

Bush was re-elected when? 2004

Apparently, that theory is out the window.

Guest tiltmiami

oh fuck it who cares bring it on.draft my italian ass and take me out of mine mysery,this country was stupid enough to vote for bush again now deal with it.let him raise our taxes and drop nukes in iraq so the war can be over with- oh wait we still got iran,china and north korea.shit we are fucked if someone doesnt kill bush anytime soon this world might come to a very poisoned end :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Guest JMT

oh fuck it who cares bring it on.draft my italian ass and take me out of mine mysery,this country was stupid enough to vote for bush again now deal with it.let him raise our taxes and drop nukes in iraq so the war can be over with- oh wait we still got iran,china and north korea.shit we are fucked if someone doesnt kill bush anytime soon this world might come to a very poisoned end :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

so much for taking you seriously.

Guest Devilicious

Killing Bush wouldn't do anything.....he's only a puppet. Even if he did think for himself there are (sadly) thousands of conservative politicians waiting in the wings to further his policies or similar ones.

Guest tres-b

Killing Bush wouldn't do anything.....he's only a puppet. Even if he did think for himself there are (sadly) thousands of conservative politicians waiting in the wings to further his policies or similar ones.

This puppet conspiracy crap is so lame, tired, and wrong.

If you want to debate, be sure you understand how things work.

Guest mursa

puppet conspiracy or not ....This president is worthless .... the stockmarket is stagnent , inflation (cost of living is going up) is going up , and salaries dont change , and jobs are at a standstill for the most part .

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

M-4 carbine=check

Lightweight helmet with ballistic and laser eye protection=check

Modular body armor and clothing to protect against chemical or biological attack=check

Having someone on the frontline with a soft trigger finger= priceless....................

Guest tiltmiami

guys look in the bright side of this we are gonna get high for free

those country got some good coke and hash i heard

Guest slamminshaun

puppet conspiracy or not ....This president is worthless .... the stockmarket is stagnent , inflation (cost of living is going up) is going up , and salaries dont change , and jobs are at a standstill for the most part .

When its all said and done, "are you better off now then you were 4 years ago?" Im my case, yes....way better off. So I keep my trap shut. Most people vote with their wallets, and the truth is, the average person has a much higher net worth now then they did 4 years ago.