Clubplanet Nightlife Community
Sign in to follow this  
JDSTYLES

"That track is old" - is that supposed to be an insult?

I'm just curious...in this world of music, specifically house music, why do people always try and say 'that track is old' as a putdown. The simple fact is that if a track is hot, the shit is hot, and whether you had had it for days, months or years, age doesn't degrade the quality of a song.

Let people enjoy their music, regardless of its age or how long 'you've had it'. No I know that you don't want to hear a track that is totally played out...but that's what radio does. I hit clubs as much and more than the next guy, and unless you are in a toursist-y club like in Cancun or some shit, you are gonna hear new shit and older shit...but 99.9% really isn't played out if it is true club music.

All I ask, is that people relax, hang out, and experience music for everything it can be. Thanks ya'll...

uspin had a bad experience lately? just kidding,sometimes people think its funny to put others down so they feel better. The best thing to do is just ignore it or if you can't (ahem) just try to make "a light" out of the situation. Anyway on a LIGHTER note~ take care and relax music is just music

------------------

Better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you're not...

aka ItalianaJewel

..I like to hear old music thrown into sets when I go out ..Not like last year old, old like 96-98 old

------------------

..Sugar you make my soul complete

..Rapture tastes sooo sweeet

The other day

Belladiva mentioned the Jana track "more than life" , and I replied and said it was pretty old. However I did not do this in order to put her down or make her feel bad. Sometimes in the context of a certain topic or post people misinterpret what people say.

For example the topic was SF songs and I said that song would probobly be an older song that JP most likely wouldnt play. It was in no way directed to insult anyone.

just wanted to clear this up.

Mane

Now now, calm down, that song is old is NOT an insult.. I personally think some of the stuff from last spring/summer is still some of the best stuff.. I think people may just point that out to say something about the original topic that was posted i.e. top new vocals - now on this message you wouldn't post something that's old.. not saying that old stuff isn't good of course.. cwm13.gif

I def think 9/10 times, saying a track is old is an insult. From a DJ standpoint, it connotates that you have or have heard better tracks and don't need to be botherd by older stuff. Makes you sound more cutting edge and on top of the music. In the club scene, older stuff may be a good thing to keep the crowd motivated, but in the rave scene, its all about breaking out new shit before anyone else. Old Music=No Bookings. From a clubbing standpoint, I guess it depends on your personality. I like to hear new shit and can't stand old [more than a yr] music. I'd rather stab myself than hear Darude-Sandstorm at a club one more time.

"That song is old" is definetly not an insult. House music is very trendy and as a DJ you need to stay ahead of any trends that come around. Every DJ should have some older anthems in his bag of tricks to drop and really get the crowd excited but that shouldn't be the backbone of your set, unless your a classics DJ. Everybody loves an older anthem!

Just my thoughts USPIN!

------------------

"Anybody can mix two records together but it takes a DJ to be able to do it creativley and make new sound out of that music" --A great wise man

"Spinning is like creating a new world in that room for that one night. You create a one night oblivion where nothing outside that room matters, all that matters is feeling the music and loving every second of it." --Another great wise man

Who is this USPIN dude anyway? and why is he so bitter? Kidding. I really don't care. I personally love a lot of old stuff, and feel the same way...that some older anthems are great to bang in a set to get people excited - and grab those people that need to recognize a track to be happy. In no way was I trying to sound angry or anything. I've just heard people say some stupid things and criticize people - and it sounds like people are criticizing others for asking questions about old songs. No big deal. Actually as a DJ, sometimes it takes a friend saying that shit, to motivate you to get off your ass and grab some new music...which I appreciate. I'll tell ya though - there is so much damn good music it's hard to keep up with...especially when you spin one style, but love another, and want to spin another also...blah blah. I need to hit the lotto! Thanks for the input ya'll...