Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Buying a lap Top on e-bay??

I'm considering buying a lap top computer... do you think its safe to buy a lap top on e-bay?

What in the hell is the difference between dell, ibm, etc... i have no clue what to look for.

I want it for travel purposes so i can hook on to the internet while away from home.

I don't download any music or movies. My sole purpose of internet is to post on messageboards, buy shit on ebay and book my numerous vacations.

So, as you can see, i don't need anything too fancy.

Your input is appreciated. thanks!

Guest swirlundergrounder

Yeah it's safe to buy a computer on ebay so long as you know what you are doing. I bought electronics from ebay several times. In fact I've made maybe 100 or so purchases off of ebay in the last 2 years and I can honestly say that I had maybe 2 bad experiences with collectables. And each time I was able to return them.

What you need to do is make sure that the seller has a feedback rating of 96% or better with at least 20 feedbacks. Make sure that you set up a Paypal account or a bid pay account and pay for your item that way. Those services have gaurantees forsome qualifying items.

Next don't buy your computer from a pawn shop. Try to by it from a wholesaler or the original owner of the computer. Pawn shops often don't know the history of the computer.

Ask the seller questions. And see how well and how fast they respond to you. Good and honest sellers often have good communication.

Don't bid on the item right away unless it's a 'Buy It Now' where the price is fixed. If you are buying from an auction wait until the last few minutes if not the last minuite to bid on it. If you bid at the beginning of the auction and someone else out bids you and then you get into a bidding war with several people you are only driving up the price of the item. Wait until the last minute and swoop in like a hawk and enter the highest bid that you are comfortable paying.

Since you are not trying to get something to fancy but efficent then get a Dell. Dell's have good customer support. HP is a headache IBM is ok. I own all three of those brands of computers...

I just recently got an Apple laptop that I'm completly thrilled about...If you want to do music and movies and you can afford it then get an Apple...

Theres a few good power sellers on Ebay that have auctions only for laptops.

Also make sure the computer is not refurbished, i just wouldn't mess w/ that.

Also make sure when you're looking for a laptop under a company, example ibm, hp, toshiba, ect that the seller displays a product code example "dell inspiron, toshiba satellite" model number.

I was bidding on a P4 3.4ghz, 512mg, 80gb hd, good video/sound card, the item finished at 800 bucks, retailed for $1200-$1500 in stores/online. I figured i was the highest buyer and was outbid the last very minute. Oh well

Good luck, im also getting a new laptop real soon from ebay if i can get a good deal

Thanks guys....

I appreciate all the responses.. and thanks Alex for all the info you gave me ;D

I'll let you know what happens.. i bought my PC at home through a friend of mine that builds them.. so i'm going to see what he has in lap tops.. i have zero problems with my home computer, so i'm sure he can hook me up with the lap top. BUT if all else fails, i'm getting one on ebay.

Guest durrtylexx

Thanks guys....

I appreciate all the responses.. and thanks Alex for all the info you gave me ;D

;)