Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Best EDM movie to date??

Guest The_Man

Guest The_Man

So what does everyone think? I know the ones below include edm or are just about it. Any others worth catching?

Groove (sucked big time) :-X

Go (a disgrace to the edm scene really)

Human Traffic (my favorite...a classic must see) ;D

It's All Gone Pete Tong (awesome flick)

Rise (never saw it. any good??)

Party Monster (weird but I liked it)

Stark Raving Mad (did this ever come out? Digweed did the soundtrack)

I know there was also one where a girl alphabetizes all of the dj's records. Anyone know it?

Guest JMT

"pete tong" would be my favorite to date.

"party monster" is good but i think its a little less edm-oriented than the rest.

im gonna come out and admit i didnt despise "groove" like some people do. yes you have to buy into a lot of cheese at times but it entertained me and i liked a lot of the music in it when i saw first saw it. :P

btw.. i think the movie you are talking about is "Party Girl" with Parker Posie. i have never seen it.

Guest The_Man

"pete tong" would be my favorite to date.

"party monster" is good but i think its a little less edm-oriented than the rest.

im gonna come out and admit i didnt despise "groove" like some people do. yes you have to buy into a lot of cheese at times but it entertained me and i liked a lot of the music in it when i saw first saw it. :P

btw.. i think the movie you are talking about is "Party Girl" with Parker Posie. i have never seen it.

Party Girl? I gotta check that one out just to see if it's any good.

Guest Cosmigonon

I've only seen Go, party monster and tong. The best one is Tong, Party monster is more about a time period, and go only has edm as a background to the sotry, but they're all good.

Guest swirlundergrounder

I've only seen Go, party monster and tong. The best one is Tong, Party monster is more about a time period, and go only has edm as a background to the sotry, but they're all good.

Make a point to see Human Traffic next....

Guest The_Man

Werd! Human Traffic is a must for any edm fan to see. Otherwise, you're just a poser. :P

Guest swirlundergrounder

Werd! Human Traffic is a must for any edm fan to see. Otherwise, you're just a poser. :P

Groove, Go and Party Monster don't compare to Human Traffic..

Guest JMT

its kind of comparing a comedy to a drama, but i liked party monster better than human traffic. maybe it has to do with the brit sense of humor...

however, Tong was the most entertaining flick in this bunch.

Guest The_Man

its kind of comparing a comedy to a drama, but i liked party monster better than human traffic. maybe it has to do with the brit sense of humor...

Most likely. Are you a scrid or a scrod? :P

Guest swirlundergrounder

however, Tong was the most entertaining flick in this bunch.

Now I know that there's really something wrong with you...

Party Monster better than Human Traffic? That's like saying that the movie Spawn was better than Star Wars....LOL

Guest JMT

let me tell you the first rule of nightlife: for group photos always stand on the right. That way you’ll be on the left when the photo gets printed and the the caption will read 'JMT and blah blah blah....'

let me tell you the first rule of nightlife: for group photos always stand on the right. That way you’ll be on the left when the photo gets printed and the the caption will read 'JMT and blah blah blah....'

hahahahahahaha that's great ;D

Guest The_Man

Good thing cj has no captions on it's pics. I could see people fighting over who was over on the far right. lol

Guest Cosmigonon

LMFAO!!!! ;D

Guest michael^heaven

So what does everyone think? I know the ones below include edm or are just about it. Any others worth catching?

---Hands down, the absolute best EDM movie ever>>>

24 Hour Party People

B00007ELKO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

SYNOPSIS:

---Prolific director Michael Winterbottom is unafraid of mythologising a slice of recent musical/cultural history in this comedy drama, which tells the story of the rise and fall of Manchester's Factory Records and the world-famous Hacienda nightclub. Using TV presenter and Factory impresario Tony Wilson to tell the tale — often directly to camera — is the movie's masterstroke. Wilson, played with relish by Steve Coogan, is in real life a self-publicist of gigantic proportions, so when he compares shambolic Happy Mondays singer Shaun Ryder (an uncanny impersonation by Danny Cunningham) to WB Yeats, you take it with a pinch of salt but buy into it anyway. Unlikely to make sense to anyone who didn't experience the music and mania of the “Madchester†years — and yet bound to enrage those who were there with its flippant abuse of documentary truth — this is an infectious, well-cast blend of evocative energy, fine vintage music and irreverent humour.

---This is a fantastic film which takes you through the beginning of punk as it leads into the new wave era which then takes you onto the glorious days of the acid house scene in Manchester. I highly recommend this film as it's probably the best documentation of the history of electronic music to date. ;)

Guest The_Man

---Hands down, the absolute best EDM movie ever>>>

24 Hour Party People

Saw it and enjoyed it. I laughed my ass off at several parts. I should have included it in the list since edm is a part of the movie.

Guest web_norah

"Maestro" the film about Paradise Garage came out on DVD yesterday, check it out, it is an excellent house music flick.

Guest web_norah

some background on this Maestro film:

Maestro, the documentary about the New York dance-music underground circa '70s and '80s. It's out Tuesday on DVD with a companion CD of era-specific music.

The documentary has never-before-released footage of The Loft and Paradise Garage -- exclusive, underground venues that inspired modern house music culture. And it features interviews with some of the groundbreaking DJs of the time, including Frankie Knuckles and Francois K. It's a must have for serious house heads.

The film's producer, writer and director, Josell Ramos, told me the underground dance scene of the time was a direct reaction to the bling-crazed, coke-fueled disco era of Studio 54. Patrons of The Loft and Garage, while part of an quasi-exclusive group, were gays, minorities and working class people. It's an important point for those who think the descendent cultures of today, such as super-club trance and big-room prog, are about designer fashion, fast cars and VIP rooms. "You gotta remember that the underground of this dance culture started as antiestablishment," Ramos says.

yes, Human Traffic and all those films you mention are great fun, and touch some of the fun and crazy things that we love about electronic music....but this documentary is definitely a must-see.

Guest The_Man

I'll be sure to give Maestro a whirl.

Recently saw Stark Raving Mad. Music (done by the Bedrock boys) was very good but some scenes were really lacking any substance. Seann William Scott does an ok job carrying the film. Having Dave Foley and Lou Diamond Phillips in the film was interesting as well but the other characters are a bunch of wankers. Rated it higher than Groove but not by a lot.

Guest web_norah

there was that LA DJ Film which was also similar to that Stark Mad Raving flick, and frankly, it was a nice attempt but nowhere near as good as other films like Human Traffic or 24 Hr People.

Maestro is a documentary based on the beginnings of house music.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The_Man

Checked out Maestro and it was an intersting look at the past. Even in the 70's, people were looking for an alternative sound and place to go on the weekends. The were captivated by the lighting, were intrigued by a club's sound system and were devoted to their favorite clubs and dj's. Goes to show some things will never change. :)