Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Best EDM movie to date??

Guest The_Man

Guest web_norah

glad you cheked it out.

there is a very good TV special that VH1 made about Disco and Dance music (Nicky Siano and a couple of other very legendary djs are in it), and in this show, they explain how disco just took major backlash because of the gay element and the excess of the late 70's ...but then years later, it sort of cameback in the form of house music (Larry Levan, F Knuckles djing at their first clubs in the Warehouse Chicago and Paradise Garage).

Guest web_norah

Amazon carries it.

if you love house music and want a glimpse of the early scene, buy it, if you arent sure, rent it on Netflix. i doubt Blockbuster'd carry it. they're very limited and dont carry independent distributors.

Guest tres-b

Amazon carries it.

if you love house music and want a glimpse of the early scene, buy it, if you arent sure, rent it on Netflix. i doubt Blockbuster'd carry it. they're very limited and dont carry independent distributors.

Thanks for the recomendation. Looking fwd to checking it out. 8)

Guest The_Man

glad you cheked it out.

there is a very good TV special that VH1 made about Disco and Dance music (Nicky Siano and a couple of other very legendary djs are in it), and in this show, they explain how disco just took major backlash because of the gay element and the excess of the late 70's ...but then years later, it sort of cameback in the form of house music (Larry Levan, F Knuckles djing at their first clubs in the Warehouse Chicago and Paradise Garage).

I'll look out for the special. Sound interesting.

tres-b, you can also find Maestro at Borders. That's where I picked up my copy. They do a fine job of carrying dance music and independent movies.

Guest ramon

24 hour party and groove were a pretty big inspiration for me starting to do parties .. groove was cheesey, but it made not only the dj the focus, but the person behind the scenes .. sure i didn't book john digweed, but ive done a few intresting parties .. ;)

hearing voodoo ray @ the hacienda in 24 hour party .. shows us how much we have come full circle .. acid house!!

Guest web_norah

Paradise Garage (Maestro) is so much more legendary than people realize, that was the birth of house music. period.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dj_release

Bought Maestro yesterday. Looking fwd to checking it out tonight. ;D

how was Maestro??

caught 24 Hour Party People this weekend. AWESOME movie... probably one of the best EDM I've seen, because it's both informative and fun

very nice ;D

Guest tres-b

Bought Maestro yesterday. Looking fwd to checking it out tonight. ;D

how was Maestro??

caught 24 Hour Party People this weekend. AWESOME movie... probably one of the best EDM I've seen, because it's both informative and fun

very nice ;D

Great look at the old days of djing and the underground scene in NY. The best part is listening to the old djs talk about the development of their styles, the environments where they played, and getting some perspective on then vs now.

I havent looked at disc 2 w/ special features but might check it out manana.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest swirlundergrounder

FYI...

"Tong" has been released on DVD. im ordering my copy right now.

I have one on my watch list on ebay. I still have not seen it

• 7 months later...
Guest pod

Yeah it's an acronym made up by people who are embarassed by calling it dance music. They think by adding the word electronic, they're somehow "intelligent" and "hip".

A little reality check, the music you all know and love descended from disco!

Nonetheless:

Human Traffic

24 Hour Party People

It's All Gone Pete Tong

Abortions:

Go

Groove

Well Groove wasn't that bad in some instances, but I think it is more of a West-Coast thing, so I didn't quite get most of the charachters.

Guest trancelator

I don't think that it's a matter of people feeling "intelligent" or "hip", as you say. I think calling it dance music is as accurate as calling it techno. People dance to the polka and merengue but no one calls that dance music. Thus, edm it is. It's a complete, accurate description of the genre.

Guest Marina22

I don't think that it's a matter of people feeling "intelligent" or "hip", as you say. I think calling it dance music is as accurate as calling it techno. People dance to the polka and merengue but no one calls that dance music. Thus, edm it is. It's a complete, accurate description of the genre.

I agree, but for me it's just annoying to say amongst friends and peeps. However, when I speak to people that don't have a clue I use the term for accuracy and instead of using techno which is the generic term.

Guest Cosmigonon

Yeah it's an acronym made up by people who are embarassed by calling it dance music. They think by adding the word electronic, they're somehow "intelligent" and "hip".

A little reality check, the music you all know and love descended from disco!

Nonetheless:

Human Traffic

24 Hour Party People

It's All Gone Pete Tong

Abortions:

Go

Groove

Well Groove wasn't that bad in some instances, but I think it is more of a West-Coast thing, so I didn't quite get most of the charachters.

Just like Pat said, we call it electronic, because pretty much you can dance to anything. Hip hop is dance music, merengue, salsa, vallenato, bachata, etc, they;re all dance music, so we add the E to differentiate it.