Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ebonics Being Pushed onto Black Students

Guest slamminshaun

Guest Slide On The Ice

people speak the english language in every other country

I have met and hung out with several people from other countries, both those who visited here and those who recently moved here....and what is shocking is that some of them speak better English than many black teens I've encountered. And I don't mean my friends from Britain. LOL

I had an ex-girlfriend from Colombia, who spoke absolute perfect English (French too), though she was born and raised in Bogota rather than here.

And, I have a friend in Argentina who works for MCI and she is on the phone a lot talking to businesses in the US, who also speaks better than many of the black youth I've met in the last few years (as an employer and retailer). Sad, but true.

lot of this has to do with the music selection

Down here in fla people are very poor now if u go to like Boston even NYC Black people are trying to prove them self to the world as educated people and some of them up north are very very educated

I agree. The music of today is sadly neg influencing the youth of tomorrow into beghaving as if gangsta rap is the way to live, speak, and act. And I can't believe I just sounded like the adult generation of my teen years. Dayum.

Guest Slide On The Ice

No one is at the wheel of the black leadership caravan...

Hopefully Cosby keeps up his pressure and crushes shit like this..

Unfortunately, Mr. Cosby is beyond this generation and too small a voice to make enough noise on the matter.

Guest JMT

not for nothing, but ive witnessed bums on the street in amsterdam who can speak 3 languages including proper english.

Guest tiltmiami

Linguistics experts from around the world have been exploring the origin of the Ebonics language. Most recently, it has been discovered that Ebonics dates all the way back to the writing of the King James Bible where it is written that "We be brethren!"*

*Source - Paul Harvey News

can u belive this shit

I have met and hung out with several people from other countries, both those who visited here and those who recently moved here....and what is shocking is that some of them speak better English than many black teens I've encountered. And I don't mean my friends from Britain. LOL

I had an ex-girlfriend from Colombia, who spoke absolute perfect English (French too), though she was born and raised in Bogota rather than here.

And, I have a friend in Argentina who works for MCI and she is on the phone a lot talking to businesses in the US, who also speaks better than many of the black youth I've met in the last few years (as an employer and retailer). Sad, but true.

Down here in fla people are very poor now if u go to like Boston even NYC Black people are trying to prove them self to the world as educated people and some of them up north are very very educated

u must add south florida, u forgot also that alot of the blacks u speak of come from different countries making them somewhat illegal immigrants so sometimes its hard for them to change their way of being, not all offcourse...alot of people live off advertising/marketing...which comes down to them being followers of the hip hop world...i listen to hip hop everyday, dl songs, ect...but its clear that that's the lifestyle that they choose, alot of them are smart and educated but they choose to wear fubu or whatever cuz that's their style/culture/exposure...unfortunatelly in the US for years now people in diff cultures tend to unite w/ themselves and creating these type of racism/discriminations unlike other countries for the majority

Guest tiltmiami

Linguistics 'sperts fum around de damn world gots been 'splorin' de origin o' de Ebonics language. Sheeeiit. Most recently, it gots'ta been discovered dat Ebonics dates all de way back t' de writin' o' de Kin' James Bible where it be written dat "We be bretheren!"*

*Source - Fuh'rina Harvey News

The same thing but in ebonics

Guest tiltmiami

Views of linguists and anthropologists on the Ebonics issue (Part 1)

Compiled by Leila Monaghan of Pitzer College for the February 1997 Society for Linguistic Anthropology column

"We're not here for glamor or FAshion

but here's the question I'm askin

Why isn't young black kids taught BLACK?

They're only taught to read, write, and act

It's like teaching a dog to be a cat

you don't teach a DOG to be a cat

you don't teach WHITE kids to be BLACK

why IS that?

Is it because we're the miNOrity?"

KRS-1/BoogieDownProductions "Why Is That?" From Ghetto Music: THe Blueprint of Hip Hop. Copyright 1989 Jive Records (BMG)

how can they be so dumb

Guest Slide On The Ice

u must add south florida, u forgot also that alot of the blacks u speak of come from different countries making them somewhat illegal immigrants so sometimes its hard for them to change their way of being, not all offcourse...alot of people live off advertising/marketing...which comes down to them being followers of the hip hop world...i listen to hip hop everyday, dl songs, ect...but its clear that that's the lifestyle that they choose, alot of them are smart and educated but they choose to wear fubu or whatever cuz that's their style/culture/exposure...unfortunatelly in the US for years now people in diff cultures tend to unite w/ themselves and creating these type of racism/discriminations unlike other countries for the majority

You're right that I should have specified south Florida (though I did say down here, meaning south, but you're right). But really, the kids I mentioned, in many cases if not most, were born here, though I couldn't say for sure about their parents.

Guest Slide On The Ice

Linguistics experts from around the world have been exploring the origin of the Ebonics language. Most recently, it has been discovered that Ebonics dates all the way back to the writing of the King James Bible where it is written that "We be brethren!"*

*Source - Paul Harvey News

can u belive this shit

The King James was written in Britain. There you go, leave it to the Brits to once again butcher the English language. ;D

You all know that I'm joking, right?

Guest Slide On The Ice

Views of linguists and anthropologists on the Ebonics issue (Part 1)

you don't teach WHITE kids to be BLACK

not true, how can u forget eminem

Or Jamie Kennedy.

Guest tiltmiami

Jail Inmates, by Offense, Gender, Race, and Hispanic Origin, 2002

Most serious offense Total Male Female White1 Black1 Hispanic

Number of jail inmates 623,492 551,186 72,306 223,292 249,304 114,562

Violent offenses 25.4% 26.5% 17.1% 21.8% 26.9% 27.1%

Property offenses 24.4 23.3 32.4 28.1 24.0 17.5

Drug offenses 24.7 24.1 29.2 18.5 30.6 27.5

Public-order offenses 24.9 25.5 20.8 31.0 18.0 27.5

Other 0.5 0.5 0.6 0.7 0.4 n.a.

All offenses 100.0 88.4 11.6 36.0 40.1 18.5

NOTE: Excludes inmates whose offense was unknown. Racial statistics exclude 0.3% who did not

now if cali keeps up with this shit these number will double

Guest ILLMATIC

This is sooooooo fucking sad. I do not blame the teachers for this I blame the lazy ass parents that allow this to happen.