Clubplanet Nightlife Community

wow,think twice before u go to Brazil

Guest tiltmiami

Guest tiltmiami

Sao Paulo Leads Effort by Brazil's Lula to Reduce Homicide Rate

July 18 (Bloomberg) -- Brazil's effort to reduce homicides is having its best success in Sao Paulo, the nation's largest city.

Sao Paulo's murder rate has dropped every year since 1999, falling to 36.8 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants in 2004 from 58.4 in 2000, a study by Sao Paulo state's statistics foundation showed. The city is Brazil's only state capital to have cut murder rates by an average 5 percent a year since 1999, according to the United Nations.

``Sao Paulo is giving an example for the whole of Brazil,'' said Jorge Werthein, the director of the Brazilian operations of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, in an interview from Paris.

Sao Paulo's progress reflects a push by both the state and President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva's government to reduce deaths caused by firearms. In 2003, 39,000 people died in shootings in Brazil. Congress last week agreed to a government plan to ask voters in October whether they would support a ban on commercial sales of guns and ammunition. A program to pay Brazilians to turn in weapons has resulted in the handover of almost 350,000 guns, more than four times the initial target.

The nation's widespread poverty and flourishing drug gangs have made the cities of Rio de Janeiro and Recife among the most violent in the world. Sao Paulo's Jardim Angela neighborhood had a murder rate of 118.3 per 100,000 in 2000, 22 times the U.S. homicide rate in the same year.

Jardim Angela

Jardim Angela, a community of 300,000 stretched out over hills adjoining a Sao Paulo reservoir, was dubbed the most dangerous neighborhood on the globe in 1996, Brazil's Veja magazine reported July 6, citing a UN study.

That year, 5,000 of the neighborhood's inhabitants marched to protest a surge in violence caused by turf wars between drug gangs, violent reprisals by the police and social woes such as unemployment, said Father Jaime Crowe, a Roman Catholic priest, who has lived there for 17 years.

``We reached the point where we had to do more than give funerals for the growing number of people dying,'' says Crowe.

The surge in killings led to the creation of anti-violence organizations such as the Instituto Sou da Paz, or Institute of Peace, founded ``because of said the disturbing levels of violence in places like Jardim Angela,'' said Mariana Montoro, manager of communications at the Sao Paulo-based group founded in 1999.

The progress in reducing crime in Sao Paulo has been so significant that Veja magazine devoted six pages of coverage to the trend in its city edition July 6.

Sao Paulo

Sao Paulo, a city of 10.5 million at the heart of a wider urban sprawl approaching 20 million, had 3,944 murders last year, down from 5,010 in 2003 and 6,091 in 2000, according to the Sao Paulo state agency SEADE, which based its survey on the number of death certificates issued by notaries.

The murder rate in the city's 96 districts in 2004 ranged from 2 per 100,000 inhabitants in the central district of Consolacao, to 91 in Bras, another central district, SEADE said.

At his Holy Martyrs parish in Jardim Angela, church leaders host events including soccer, dance and pizza-making lessons to help youngsters discover a sense of community, says Crowe, 60, sipping peanut tea in a church hall. Outside, teenagers practice dance steps to the booming sound of hip-hop music.

``In Jardim Angela some of the pieces of the peace jigsaw have started to fall into place,'' said Instituto Sou da Paz's Montoro.

As murders declined, Sao Paulo state responded by boosting the number of police officers in Jardim Angela to about 600 from zero in 1996, said Crowe.

So far this year, there have been 31 murders in Jardim Angela, down from rates as high as 306 in 2001.

More Investment

Death rates fell across Sao Paulo state because of an increase in investment in police and the mobilization of communities against violence, according to Unesco's Map of Violence of Sao Paulo report, published in May.

The report highlighted a more than doubling in the state security budget between 1998 and 2004. Steps including the opening of schools on weekends and the restriction of sales of alcohol have also helped, said Unesco's Werthein.

The country still has a long way to go to reducing gun crime.

A Unesco report published last month showed Brazil with 19.5 killings by gun per 100,000 inhabitants a year in 2002, higher than any other country in a survey of 57 countries except Venezuela, whose rate was 22.2. Brazil's overall murder rate rose to 28.8 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in 2003 from 20.3 a decade earlier, Unesco said.

On July 6, Brazil's congress voted to hold a referendum on Oct. 23 on banning guns in Brazil, a proposal that faces opposition from Brazilians who believe gun use curbs crime.

``Hand in your guns and hand over this country to thieves and vagrants,'' said Jair Bolsonaro, a federal deputy from Rio de Janeiro and former army parachutist, who voted against the referendum. ``Honest people have a right to protect themselves.''

Anyone that wants to go to brazil needs to know that you need a tourist visa. Heres the link to the consulate in miami: http://www.brazilmiami.org/consulado/English/visas/TOURIST%20VISA.htm

My best friend just bought a restaurant/bakery down there and goes all the time. He's trying to convince me to go down there in august but between the airfare ($1000), a passport ($100) and the visa ($120) i just can't afford it.

Guest pod

make me wonder

y is this world so violent

Most violence is perpetrated by disgruntled English teachers after reading clubbing messageboards.

They get all those numbers mostly from FAVELAS...which is the ghetto of the ghettoist place u would never want to be in...no real person goes in there...if u saw city of god(translation in portuguese is cidade de deus) which is a huge favela than you know of what im talking about.

I remember how bad it was in the City of Rio back bout 10 years ago or so, last time i was down in Rio which was a little under 2 years ago it wasnt bad at all...I never had a problem or saw anything on the streets in the city of Ipanema, Barra da Tijuca, Copacabana, ect...main tourists spots. I was also down for Carnaval at the time which is the biggest Brazilian Holiday, you only see shit like that on the news or on tv.

Don't make it look like omg don't go to Brazil you're gonna get shot! Im not denying that there aren't robbers, but that's about anywhere nowadays. The city/state is much better now than what it used to be, the govt changed alot of stuff around and cleaned it up quite a bit.

Like anywhere else you have to be street smart. Just like any other place in the World. You don't have to watch your back all the time, just don't try to be all flashy when you're out and about. If you go to the ghetto, like favelas and such than you better know the meaning to common sense which shouldn't even lead you up in those places, unless you're looking for "trouble".

Most people nowadays don't even stay in Rio or Sao Paolo unless its for business or main tourist attractions such as the christ, sugar loaf, ect. Most go to buzios, which is the main place to be seen at, not only be seen in terms of good "quality" people but also be right in the middle of nature, wild life, and u can choose to have a quite/relaxing vacation as well by choosing over 21 different beachs.... good info @ www.buziosonline.com.br

If anyone has any questions about Rio, let me know...

Guest swirlundergrounder

I'll still go to Brazil any day. Most of the homicides take place in the poorer areas that surround the cities...right?

...no real person goes in there...

...so, only fake persons go there?

are u a blonde bimbo or what man...did u even read my whole response?????? most people live in buildings in the city and all the poor people live in the Favelas, real poor ppl, get it? so thats what i mean no real person goes in there....shit do i have to spell it out now

Guest Cosmigonon

are u a blonde bimbo or what man...did u even read my whole response?????? most people live in buildings in the city and all the poor people live in the Favelas, real poor ppl, get it? so thats what i mean no real person goes in there....shit do i have to spell it out now

You're basically saying that the poor people that live in the favelas aren't real since "real" people don't go in there. I understood what you said, but they way you say it, you make them seem like they don't really matter, or are not worthy to be called "real persons"... ::)

You're basically saying that the poor people that live in the favelas aren't real since "real" people don't go in there. I understood what you said, but they way you say it, you make them seem like they don't really matter, or are not worthy to be called "real persons"... ::)

I never meant to say that those people aren't "real"...who really cares bout people that live in the favelas anyways? I have nothing against the poor. I was implying in terms of violence, crimes, robberies, "safety"...has nothing to do with status, class, ect if that's what you understood.

Guest Cosmigonon

...who really cares bout people that live in the favelas anyways?

Well, obviously you don't... :-X

im lost, did you grow up in one? is that you're point?

I don't, don't see any reason why I should either...maybe you'd like to elaborate ur views

Guest Cosmigonon

I don't, don't see any reason why I should either...maybe you'd like to elaborate ur views

So what if I grew up in one, does that make me less of a "real" person?

im still lost, i believe you're interpreting me wrong...or you're still intoxicated on something

Guest michael^heaven
wow,think twice before u go to Brazil

37601.jpg

---Yeh, definitely wouldn't want to go to Brazil. ::)

Guest slamminshaun

My wife's Brazilian. :P ;D

All I remember about Brazil is how whacky Sao Paulo was....not a place a little white boy like me would want to get lost at.

Guest Cosmigonon

im still lost, i believe you're interpreting me wrong...or you're still intoxicated on something

You can't justify what you said, therefore I'm intoxicated, very smart... ::)

Guest durrtylexx

I'd still go to Brazil, I just won't hang out in the ghetto. People always talk shit about Bogota, Bueno Aires, Caracas and other major cities in South America. If you don't go to the fucked up areas, you'll be fine.

I don't hang out in liberty city or opa-locka. :P its called common sense.

Guest slamminshaun

The ironic part is that the mountainside favelas at night are one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. It looks like constellations of stars.

here u go joshua

from alex's post...

"I'd still go to Brazil, I just won't hang out in the ghetto. People always talk shit about Bogota, Bueno Aires, Caracas and other major cities in South America. If you don't go to the fucked up areas, you'll be fine.

I don't hang out in liberty city or opa-locka. its called common sense."

do u get it now? or should we translate it to you once again?

Guest Cosmigonon

here u go joshua

from alex's post...

"I'd still go to Brazil, I just won't hang out in the ghetto. People always talk shit about Bogota, Bueno Aires, Caracas and other major cities in South America. If you don't go to the fucked up areas, you'll be fine.

I agree with Alex, but that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I fyou haven't figured it out yet, then you never will...

here u go joshua

from alex's post...

I agree with Alex, but that has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. I fyou haven't figured it out yet, then you never will...

spill it out already, instead of playing lil girlie mind games