Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DJ Marky

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

my favorite drum n bass DJ, next to LTJ Bukem and Laurent Garnier (because he can play drum n bass and loop it back with techno and house!).

INTERVIEWS

DJ MARKY

Dynamite: You're playing at The End on January 21st. What are your expectations?

Marky: First of all it is an honour for me to play here. The End is definitely one of my favorite clubs in the world. I expect it to be a quality night.

Dynamite: Looking back, what are your best memories of clubbing - as a punter?

Marky: The End was the first night club I went to when I first got to the UK. It was the True Playaz night With Hype. I definitely wanted to be part of that magic thing and somehow I knew I could be part of it someday.

Dynamite: And what are your best memories - as a DJ?

Marky: For sure the Parada da Paz (Brazilian love parade for the Peace) which held something like about 200,000 people, also Skol Beats with my band and my DJ set. The time I played back to Back with Zinc was also awesome and I had the honour to play with Laurent Garnier at the Rex in France where he played a D&B set with me in a back to back mode. It was just perfect.

Dynamite: Who are the loveliest clubers you've met over the years and the best crowds you've played to?

Marky: Tokyo. The best always. With our buddy Yuuki. But also I love to play for crowds who really like different and new stuff and that happens here, or in Sao Paulo, Homelands, Lowlands, Dance Valley, and Pukkelpop - these are really special places where people are just into the dance rite. This is just special.

Dynamite: You've DJ'd all over the world - where has been the best place to play?

Marky: Tokyo and Australia.

Dynamite: And what's next for your DJing and your future projects?

Marky: The End!! And I can't wait for Glastonbury, Homelands, Lowlands, and Dance Valley.

Dynamite: Let's talk vinyl. What records have had the biggest impact on you over the years?

Marky: Roni Size's Reprazent. It Just meant everything to everyone from house DJs to D&B DJs. It was such a great relief to listen to those tracks. I can definitely remember what I felt when I first listened to that CD.

Dynamite: What are the records you can always rely on, that you'll always love, that define your sound?

Marky: It depends. this question is a hard one. It also changes a lot.

Dynamite: And what's the strangest request you've ever had for a record?

Marky: "Hey you!! Play trance!!"

Dynamite: What's the rarest record you own?

Marky: Some old Brazilian music from the 70s that belonged to people who were part of that very music scene.

Dynamite: What's the most you've ever paid for a record?

Marky: £70 I guess.

Dynamite: What's the most interesting record in your collection?

Marky: I think the whole set of records is interesting. They can only work together.

Dynamite: And the most important record?

Marky: Ray Parker Jr & Ray Dio - 'It's Time To Party Now'

• 2 weeks later...