Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Politics in DJing

Guest Modiggy69

Guest Modiggy69

Why is it that some really good local DJs don't get much love and support and have a very hard time getting their foot in the door while there are tons of shitty/ not so good national and international DJs making bank?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sross

There are also a lot of second rate local DJs getting gigs at the expense of good locals...

If you suck enough cock and have your arsed kissed by enough hangers-on, you get the gigs.

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

Theoretically speaking,

20 DJ'S per palm tree in Miami all of which can beat match, work an eq,efx,blend, and are at least semi-talented etc, etc.

There is no scene anymore in Miami thus less demand for talent and less venue's to fill, the club's aren't what they used to be and people are more concervative nowaday's.

Certain DJ's are marketable while most are not regardless of skill or talent having a particular reputation or history in Miami help's.

Commercialization and politics have taken there toll on nightlife in general.

just my 2 brain cells

Guest sross

Theoretically speaking,

20 DJ'S per palm tree in Miami all of which can beat match, work an eq,efx,blend, and are at least semi-talented etc, etc.

There is no scene anymore in Miami thus less demand for talent and less venue's to fill, the club's aren't what they used to be and people are more concervative nowaday's.

Certain DJ's are marketable while most are not regardless of skill or talent having a particular reputation or history in Miami help's.

just my 2 brain cells

I agree to a large extent but I think it goes a bit beyond 'marketability.' The scene here seems largely based around who you know, not what you can do behind the decks. That is not to say that talented DJs won't make it, but there are plenty of very average DJs getting good gigs because they happen to know the right people.

Guest rhythmburn

Theoretically speaking,

just my 2 brain cells

I agree to a large extent but I think it goes a bit beyond 'marketability.' The scene here seems largely based around who you know, not what you can do behind the decks. That is not to say that talented DJs won't make it, but there are plenty of very average DJs getting good gigs because they happen to know the right people.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I think we have a winner...

Guest pod

It is who you know, and also the fact that there's DJs behind every palm tree in this town. Talent plays a part, if you can believe it.

Guest Cosmigonon

That's nothing new, that happens since forever. In ANY music field, talent alone won't get you anywhere, you have to be able to market yourself, it doesn't matter if it's hip hop, rock and roll, pop music, etc., everydody knows that.

In the end, music business is precisely that, A BUSINESS... ::)

Guest sross

It is who you know

Thats right, look a won the dj spin off like that , thank you Pod ;D

I think you and Parantula are a good examples. You guys clearly have more talent than Gabriel Fain but he obviously gives better head or something ???

Guest trauma

Yeah, who you know DEFINITELY plays a large part in the music industry. I know that I have talent as a DJ and I do things that other DJs don't do in certain genres. Like, as a hip hop DJ I can actually blend two songs together ... where as most hip hop DJs that I've heard lately don't really blend anymore. And on the same hand, I can scratch over some house or breaks or Drum & Bass ... and that's something that most of the DJs in those genres don't do. I'm not saying that I'm the best and that I should be booked all over the place because I'm a decent DJ, but it would be nice to play in clubs that actually have people in them. ;)

BIG thanks goes to Parantula for letting me spin at Crobar & Nikki Beach. :)

BTW ... patience is definitely the best thing to have in the music business!

Guest Seb

Why is it that some really good local DJs don't get much love and support and have a very hard time getting their foot in the door while there are tons of shitty/ not so good national and international DJs making bank?

When the hell did you get on here bitch ???

Welcome to the boards man :)

Guest sross

That's nothing new, that happens since forever. In ANY music field, talent alone won't get you anywhere, you have to be able to market yourself, it doesn't matter if it's hip hop, rock and roll, pop music, etc., everydody knows that.

I'm not sure that is completely true. I run a record label and I sign tracks on their quality, not on whether I'm best friends with the producer. The only marketing I require is for someone to send me a demo that I like!

Guest Cosmigonon

I'm not sure that is completely true. I run a record label and I sign tracks on their quality, not on whether I'm best friends with the producer. The only marketing I require is for someone to send me a demo that I like!

Well, of course, there are exceptions to the rule...

Guest xmuzik

its not in just clubs or practiced by dj's , that same mentality is in everything everwhere in life ......... it sucks but sometimes you just have to deal with it.........

if you wanna do something about it just remember how much you hated that system when you get your foot in the door somewhere ............ the respect of people lasts longer than yes men.........

Guest Gabriel Ben

its just not here in miami that things are that way. Its in every city nowadays. Same thing happening where I moved from in Philly. Today, everyone is a dj. Yes, for the most part its who you know and who likes you. Skill, Talent, etc, will not get you far anymore, like it did say 10 years ago. In most cases (not all) its who your cool with (in the biz), who you likes you, and how much ass kissing you can do (to other djs)((wow, that track is amazing, damm that song is the shit, your killin' it, and i'm sure you've heard more)). Its not always fair, but hey thats the nature of this industry. If your not happy about it, then do something about it, promote yourself, give away mix cd's (don't sell em'), there is a beach filled with thousands of people on it week after week, go give out some CD's and stickers. All I'm saying is those who usually complain are the ones who feel left out of the loop (you know what i mean). The DJ biz despite what people say and think...is overly saturated with people who don't have the skills or ability to play the rooms their hired for and also have "newcomers" who will play for nothing. This usually brightens the owners and managers mind by thinking they can save a buck or two because "djs are all the same" mentality comes into play. This usually flushes out the talented or better djs. The list can go on and on...i'm sure many can throw their 2 cents in too, but the bottomline is this is an age old agruement that will always exist. Sorry for the lengthly post...i was bored ;D

Guest Diaga

It is who you know

Thats right, look a won the dj spin off like that , thank you Pod ;D

I think you and Parantula are a good examples. You guys clearly have more talent than Gabriel Fain but he obviously gives better head or something ???

Dude I was being sarcastic

Guest macillus

I agree there is little love for the lesser known new guys/gals and sometimes too much for others. Nowadays, people seldom go to a club/bar/lounge for the music but rather because it is the 'in' place? And what makes it the 'in' place? Just because the right person deems it so.

As far as others getting more hype - if you don't like the way someone plays - simply do not support their night. A lot of clubs hire out talent nowadays based on who they can bring in. I think this is where marketablility comes into play. I could be the most talented person in the biz and the guy next to me is not - but he can bring in 50 -100 people where as I can only bring in 10... It's a no brainer.

My feeling towards newcomers and the hardships they face - esp in Miami (being I am one of those newcomers), is in part to the large amount of 'DJs' here but also the lack of overall community in this industry here in MIA. I have visited many other cities - and albeit the competition is fierce, there is still an overall community and support for all those involved. I could go on forever about this - as I am sure can others... I close with this:

If we do not like what the scene is becoming, do something about it. Groups get more accomplished than individuals. Keep pushing something new and different - and most of all - rock what you like - find those who share your passion. DJs as a whole I feel need to let go of the fame and fortune and get back to the heart and soul of this business... The music!!!

-Macillus

Guest pod

Well with the exception of the big places like LA, Miami, Vegas, and NYC, there is that community feeling you speak of, because the scenes in those smaller places are just that, smaller. The clubs can get along because there's no real competition. It's one 200 person rattletrap club that plays house, versus maybe one other, serving a small segment of people.

It is vicious in the big cities and the scene is "split" due to the costs involved. In Podunk Pennsylvania, you can put together a club for less than a quarter of a million dollars and probably do well.

Down here, the licensing alone will run you into the tens of thousands, and the construction and design costs easily go into the millions. When you dump seven or eight million into a venue, you can't afford to be "community-minded", since in the end you have to recoup your massive costs, or answer to some investors who will hang you out to dry if they don't get their money back. It is vicious around here, and it is for a reason.

Back to the DJ thing though, a lot of guys around here forget that they have to hustle like crazy. Skills alone aren't good enough. The key is to self-promote your ass off.

Guest web_norah

hustle, promote, personality/ looks, skills, get along with people and all those things.....definitely.

Guest tres-b

Club owners like DJs with skills...mixing skills, track selection skills, nunchuck fighting skills.

ability to bring large numbers of hot chicks to your sets helps as well. ;D

Guest Gabriel Ben

Back to the DJ thing though, a lot of guys around here forget that they have to hustle like crazy. Skills alone aren't good enough. The key is to self-promote your ass off.

This is very true. Everyone is booked based on "your marketable value", this includes djs & producers (both big name and small time). Clubs would not book Deep Dish if they weren't as popular as they are...its not rocket science.

Self Promotion is the only way you will get your opportunities and when they come...you better setup to the plate!!! :o

Guest swirlundergrounder

Why do you ask questions that you already know the answers to?

It's all who you know...

I have a bio of more 11 years of DJ experinece and a list of clubs that I've played at and I've played with some of the biggest DJ's in the world some of whom come thorugh here all the time.

But I get no love in Miami. Why? Becuz I don't know anyone....

You can have all the talent and experience in the world but the fact of the matter is if you don't have something else to offer someone, say a gig you can hook them up with or a good gig that you can exchange to someone vice versa then you will get no play.

That's the nature of the game....

It takes a lot of luck, being in the right place at the right time.

Plus POD point is also correct. DJ's down here grow on palm trees. In fact according to Greenpeace, there are more DJ's in the world now then there are trees...LOL

Djing is not what it used to be. It's definetly lost its novelty in the past 5 years....