Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Can condoms kill?

lasg

LATEX AND LIDS.

How safe is 'safe sex'?

The FDA classes 41 of the chemicals used in the manufacture of latex as health hazards. The side effects range from rashes to

cancer and cell mutation.

Calcium Carbonate, the most common coagulant, which is embedded as salt particles on the inner surface of condoms and latex

gloves, is classed as an :-

32. Skin irrtitant

41. Lung irritant

42. Eye ittitant

6.10 Toxic solid or liquid

Max.exposure 15ml per sq. meter (condom use exceeds this limit).

Insoluable

Suspected carcinogen

The following facts are undisputed :-

Latex allergy has grown from no reported cases 20 years ago to a condition that now effects up to 6% of the general population.

Latex allergy has directly killed hundreds and caused thousands of anaphylactic events.

Latex allergy is aquired by exposure to latex.

Anyone suffering from latex allergy may die during even minor surgery if exposed to latex. Many hospital are banning latex

even to the point of bringing patients balloons.

LIDS (Latex Induced Disease Syndrome) is thought to account for the 2800% increase in anal cancer in gay men.

The 7,000 to 8,000 cases of penile and testicular cancer are the only cancers to occur mainly in young men. LIDS is suspected

to be the major cause of up to 17,000 cancer cases in men and women ever year.

Condom spermicide, Nonoxynol-9 is dangerous - even at 1 percent. Cell mutation data is reported.

Eleven other condom lubricants have serious health hazards, see attachment.

The Mariposa Institute study shows that some brands of condoms (with 100 samples tested) have a 100% failure rate in

blocking the transmission of HIV.

No condom manufacturer ever claims that condoms can protect against HIV. Trojan use these words :-

..'MAY help protect against..."

Legally the use of the word MAY means NO claim is made.

In view of the above facts, is it not time we reconcidered our promotion of condoms as 'safe sex'.

LASG (USA)

Addenda. Condom lubricants:

COMMON LUBRICANTS AND THEIR SIDE EFFECTS

Nonoxynol 9: Poison by intraperitoneal route. Mutation data reported. When to decomposition, it emits acrid smoke and fumes

(HC, . 958).

Chlorhexidine: Mildly toxic by ingestion. Skin irritant. Mutation data reported (HC, p. 167).

Lidocaine: Poison by ingestion and subcutaneous routes. Excitement, hallucinations, distorted perceptions, changes in heart rate,

and dyspnea. Anaesthetic rapidly absorbed by mucous membranes. Excessive doses may cause methemoglobinemia (HC, p.

439; HOP, p.341.)

Mineral oil/petrolatum: A human teratogen that causes testicular tumors in the fetus. Vapor or particles can cause pneumonia.

Possibly produces gastrointestinal tumors. Deposits accumulate in the lymphnodes and dissolves and prevents the absorption

of vitamin A from the intestines (HC, p. 885; HOP. p. 206, 410.)

Polyethylene glycol: Moderately toxic. Eye irritant. Possible carcinogen and flammable. Many glycols produce severe acidosis,

central nervous system damage, and congestion (HC, p. 1053; HOP, pp. 193-195.)

Sodium borate: A.K.A. borax. Toxic to all cells. Prolonged absorption casues anorexia, vomiting, diarrhea, and anemia (HOP, p.

396).

Source: The Hazardous Chemicals Dest reference (HC) and The Handbook of Poisoning (HOP).

Dear Reader,

Do condoms pose a greater risk than the diseases they may protect against?

New evidence suggests they do. The following extract from an article by Lawerence D. Duffield.DDS (in a dental journal) outlines one of the many risks associated with latex products.

The patient is latex-sensitive. Although no deaths have occurred in a dental setting due to latex allergy, clinicians should maintain a high index of suspicion to prevent a catastrophic reaction..(1)

According to FDA Medwatch data as far back as June 1996, there were 28 reported deaths and 225 anaphylactic events associated with latex products in all settings.

Recent reports in the literature indicate that from about 1 percent to 6 percent of the general population and about 8 percent to 12 percent of regularly exposed health care workers are sensitized to latex

(Kelley et al. 1996; Katelaris et al. 1996; Liss et al. 1997; Ownby et al. 1996; Sussman and Beezhold 1995).

Lubricants used with condoms are also under fire:

DURING THE PAST TWO YEARS a little-publicized health battle has been waged out of the glare of the media. It concerns nonoxynol-9, a disinfectant found in everything from baby wipes to laundry detergent, as well as in sexual products such as contraceptive foams and gels, condoms, and lubricants.

Davidson's response frustrates some lubricant manufacturers who worry about harming consumers and the possibility of future lawsuits if such studies are done to show nonoxynol-9 is dangerous --even at 1 percent.

Extracts from article by Bohdan Zachary-EmmyAward winning jounalist.

Hospitals across America are banning anyone even bringing latex balloons into the hospital.

Even more frightening is that there is now a body of opinion that links the 7,000 to 8,000 cases of penile cancer and testicular cancer to the carcinogenic effects of condoms. Strong evidence of the link is that these cancers ARE THE ONLY CANCERS to afflict mainly YOUNG MEN. Anal cancer in gay men is also reported to have risen dramatically.

Should the media not reconsider it's promotion of condoms in light of these facts and the Mariposa Study that indicates that condoms seldom protect against HIV?

Could condom free sex be the real safe sex?

Latex Allergy Support Group (USA)

New study shows some brands of condoms have a 100% failure rate in blocking the transmission of HIV.

http://www.durex.com/scientific/studies/mariposa/index.html

You were very informative with your post, and it gives me a lot to think about. However, I have never heard of a person dying from usuing condoms. I am not saying that because I haven't heard that before it isn't true. However, I do hear a lot about a lot of people dying from aids and other STD's, and I hear a lot about hour bad these other STD's can mess you up. What I got out of your message was not to use condoms. Well... I think my odds are a little better using them until someone figures out a bunch of ways to make condoms that don't hurt us. You are going to end up freaking a bunch of people out and no one is going to use them. More people die from aids and other STD's than from condoms. -Michelle

Condoms may kill if:

1)You put them over your head.

2) your fill them with crack or smack and swallow them to get them through customs.

3) You inhale up one nostril to pull them out the other and get them stuck in your throat.

We must protect society from condoms. icon12.gif

Dear Sinergrl and Backtobasics,

You seem convinced that condoms are protection against HIV. Have you read the Mariposa Institute Study? You should. (URL above). Do you understand that HIV is 30 to 40 times SMALLER than the 'pores' in latex? It is.

Regarding deaths from latex and LIDS, there are 3 for every AIDS death. Penile,testicular, ovarian, and anal cancer ARE MAJOR KILLERS.

Direct deaths from latex reactions also kill.

Remember AIDS only killed 10,116 people in the USA in 1999. Don't get the risk out of proportion.

Are condoms the cause of the epidemic of anal, penile,

testicular and ovarian cancers? The one fact we do know

is condoms contain chemicals KNOWN to cause cancer and

others suspected as carcinogens. Seven carcinogens or

suspected carcinogens are used in condom manufacture.

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK THE LINKS YOURSELF.

NOTE: The first two links are too long and you will have to copy both lines and paste them into browser or you will get an error message.

You will find them worth the effort.

LATEX PROCESSING CHEMICALS http://www.itcilo.it/english/actrav/telearn/osh/ic/106490.htm

By John G. Downing, M..D.

First Published in the New England Journal of Medicine, January 26, 1933.

Highly Toxic or Irritant

Aniline

Hexamethyline-tetramine

Ortho-toluidine

Slightly Toxic or Irritant

Alpha-naphthylamine

Beta

Methyline aniline

Para-Phenylinediamine

FROM :- http://193.51.164.11/htdocs/monographs/Suppl7/Toluidine-ortho.html

Overall evaluation

ortho-Toluidine is possibly carcinogenic to humans (Group 2B).

Para-toluidine

Inhalation

Blue lips or finger nails. Blue skin.

Confusion. Dizziness. Headache. Laboured

breathing. Nausea. Shortness of breath.

Unconsciousness. Weakness.

Ingestion

Blue lips or fingernails. Blue skin. Dizziness.

Headache. Laboured breathing (further see

Inhalation).

ROUTES OF EXPOSURE:

The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation and through

the skin and by ingestion.

INHALATION RISK:

Evaporation at 20°C is negligible; a harmful concentration of airborne

particles can, however, be reached quickly on spraying or when

dispersed, especially if powdered.

EFFECTS OF SHORT-TERM EXPOSURE:

The substance irritates the eyes and the skin. The substance may cause

effects on the blood, bladder and kidneys , resulting in tissue lesions and

formation of methaemoglobin. Exposure to high concentrations may

result in damage to kidneys and bladder. The effects may be delayed.

Medical observation is indicated. See Notes.

EFFECTS OF LONG-TERM OR REPEATED EXPOSURE:

Repeated or prolonged contact may cause skin sensitization. The

substance may have effects on the blood , resulting in formation of

methaemoglobin (see Notes).

The following chemicals are known or suspected carcinogens. This list has been compiled from a number of sources, but it is not (and cannot be) comprehensive.

Therefore, the absence of a chemical from this list does not mean that it cannot have carcinogenic properties. Neither does the presence of a

chemical in the list indicate that it is a proven carcinogen.

However, users should treat the materials listed with the caution due to suspected carcinogens, and gather as much safety data as possible before

starting work. Restrictions apply to the use of some of these chemicals in the U.K. We have done our best to ensure the data below is as

accurate as possible, but cannot accept responsibility for its use or mis-use.

Aniline

4,4'-Methylenedianiline

Trichlormethine (Trimustine hydrochloride)

http://physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/carcinogens.html

25249.8. List Of Chemicals Known to Cause Cancer Or Reproductive Toxicity.

(a) On or before March 1, 1987, the Governor shall cause to be published a list of those chemicals known to the state

to cause cancer or reproductive toxicity within the meaning of this chapter, and he shall cause such list to be revised

and republished in light of additional knowledge at least once per year thereafter. Such list shall include at a minimum

those substances identified by reference in Labor Code Section 6382(B)(1) and those substances identified

additionally by reference in Labor Code Section 6382(d).

Aniline 62533 January 1, 1990

Benzene 71432 February 27, 1987

Trichlormethine (Trimustine hydrochloride) 817094 January 1, 1992

4,4'-Methylenedianiline 101779 January 1, 1988

4,4'-Methylenedianiline dihydrochloride 13552448 January 1, 1988

FROM CANCER DATABASE

benzene, aromatic amines – Rubber processing chemicals

Carcinogen :-

lymphatic & haemato-poietic system (leukemia) (bone marrow) bladder http://www.bccancer.bc.ca/cid/25-3.html

Best wishes,

LASG

P.S. If you want the name of those who have died from latex and LIDS they would fill a phone book but here is one for a start :-

Lt. Hal Henderson.

If you don't think latex kills, ask his parents.

[This message has been edited by lasg (edited 07-26-2000).]

Even if they don't protect us from aids, which I just talked to my boyfriend who is currently a med student and pulled some stuff up saying that although they don't protect us %100, they do quite a bit. BUT HELLO!!!! There are quite a few other things that they protect us from. You can go around infesting whoever you want with your diseases, because if you are sleeping with people without condoms then you are gonna get somthing. I think my odds are a lot better this way. -SIN

Yeah it's our best protection so why worry about it. Are you suggesting we stop having sex with people that we don't know there history?

When I cross the road I take a risk, when I fly I take a risk. But at the end of the day you have to weigh those risks up.

But it was informative, something I didn't know, and I bet not many people know that.... wonder why?

Dear Sinergrtl,

It's a matter of choice. If you would rather take the risk of ovarian cancer and fatal latex reactions, then use condoms. The diseases that condoms protect against have an incidence of around 5 per 100,000 (see CDC site) and are curable (quite easily), CANCER IS NOT.

LASG is here to provide information, not to make choices for you. It's your life, make wise choices based on facts not blind emotion and unsubstantiated claims.

Very best wishes,

LASG