Clubplanet Nightlife Community

DT at crobar NYC review

Guest web_norah

Guest web_norah

i've just gathered my thoughts, slept, got more ID's from other people, etc.

five of my Miami friends came up for this, and they weren't disappointed. at 2 am, there was a line around the block for this event, but thank God, Benny from 718 Sessions took care of us (via my pal Alan T).

here is the secret to a great night of music, play from the heart, use variety, innovate, don't play the same shit everyone does, and connect with your crowd. i experienced all these things the 10 hrs i stayed at crobar NYC for DT.

crobar NYC has a new booth, the sound on some of those tracks was just unbelievable, the nitrogen, the effects, the place was at full capacity. there must have been over 5000 people going through that night. it was one of the hottest weekends in NY, the temperature outside was 96 degress, inside it felt like 1000 degrees.

so, here are some bombs for you ID freaks:

DT's -DIbiza (nuts!!!)

Creamer -Forget The World

Rhthym Masters - Give me Back the Underground

House of Prince - Perfect Love

Daft Punk - Around the World

Saints & Sinners - Pushin too Hard

Feel Alive w/ DB Boulvd's "Another Point of View" acca

NYLX - Goosebumps

M Jonson -Decompression

2 Robag Wruhme tracks

lots of accapellas, teases, even funny bits from the sound of AOL's "You've got mail!", it was unique. the music ranged from house/ tribal/ techy stuff/ some electro laced house. lots of new bits and pieces.

DT isn't a three-hour "instant drop the big tunes and a million bmps to get the crowd" kind of DJ. this is why, sometimes i make fun of people playing Pump Up the Jam - people, there is great music out there, you just gotta go find it, dont take the easy route and play songs and go through the same motion every time you play out.

i notice that some DJs just dont have the patience or the desire to take their journeys to a higher, more sophisticated level. this is why i feel DT's sets are special and just so much fun to dance to.

Guest web_norah

i think i am going to start bringing a notepad like Bling does.

a few of the people i was hanging with, knew some of the songs

i just recognized DECOMPRESSION. what a bomb/ edit he did of it.

from DT's own post:

I know I played many abstract and obscure new "tech-ish" type tracks. I wasn't feeling much for "classics" this week @ Crobar.

At some point we all have to let go of some songs as I am not going to approach every gig I do in NYC as a form of an Arc/Vinyl reunion.

Well, musically that is -

I will always hope to see many Vinyl faces, and thankfully there were many!

I embrace CHANGE and I do love much of the new music out right now, but I am also extremely selective. There is soooooo much new electro crap!

Although, I do have many that I love! I played a few towards the end of the night that had people (including me) like:

"What is this"

The problem with programming this new style is that a lot of it is downtempo, and as grateful as I am that dance music is finally being appreciated again under 128 BPM's, it will still take a while for someone like me to PEAK with such a set between 4 and 9am when most people at that hour are more up for the ENERGY tracks. Many of the new electro tracks (which I prefer to use the term EXPERIMENTAL are quirky, not extremely percussive and more funky than energetic, if you compared it to, I don't know ... let's say Kult of Krumeria?

Guest ramon

not all of it is electro, some is minimal techno, some is just "something"

dont be a chin stroker dude.

im not .. thats why i lableed all the quirky shit techno .. i dont care if its minimal or not .. in the end its all techno :)

seeing derek in the 313 on labor day weekend :)

Guest swirlundergrounder

i'm dying to see DT, still haven't had the chance yet. good review :)

Me neither. I'm so jealous Norah...Everytime he's playing down here I have to do something else...I keep missing chances to see him. When I saw the Crobar flyer for the gig in NYC I thought it was 4 down here. I was so pissed when I found out that it wasn't...Sunday night also..what a good time to go...

Guest fliz77

Nice to see buzz on tracks like D'biza (hopefully FINALLY coming out on Stereo?) which need to be heard live to be heard in general...I miss the days of tracks developing buzz rather than leaking everywhere.

Guest web_norah

the party was Saturday night and it ended Sunday, Terry.

i think it lasted til 3 pm.

few DJs have the ability to do what DT does ..it may not be people's thing after all, but you gotta see him once in your life.

thanks b/t/w/

Guest web_norah

DT's isn't a trance dj so no glowsticks (i dont use vicks either!).

and if you read my review it says i left at 12 noon, i wish i could've stayed longer and arrived later (but i didn't).

Guest tres-b

and if you read my review it says i left at 12 noon, i wish i could've stayed longer and arrived later (but i didn't).

Noon is a strong performance. 8)

Guest web_norah

Noon is a strong performance. 8)

that's hot

• 1 month later...

i think i am going to start bringing a notepad like Bling does.

a few of the people i was hanging with, knew some of the songs

i just recognized DECOMPRESSION. what a bomb/ edit he did of it.

from DT's own post:

I know I played many abstract and obscure new "tech-ish" type tracks. I wasn't feeling much for "classics" this week @ Crobar.

At some point we all have to let go of some songs as I am not going to approach every gig I do in NYC as a form of an Arc/Vinyl reunion.

Well, musically that is -

I will always hope to see many Vinyl faces, and thankfully there were many!

I embrace CHANGE and I do love much of the new music out right now, but I am also extremely selective. There is soooooo much new electro crap!

Although, I do have many that I love! I played a few towards the end of the night that had people (including me) like:

"What is this"

The problem with programming this new style is that a lot of it is downtempo, and as grateful as I am that dance music is finally being appreciated again under 128 BPM's, it will still take a while for someone like me to PEAK with such a set between 4 and 9am when most people at that hour are more up for the ENERGY tracks. Many of the new electro tracks (which I prefer to use the term EXPERIMENTAL are quirky, not extremely percussive and more funky than energetic, if you compared it to, I don't know ... let's say Kult of Krumeria?

This is why the man is and will continue to be one of the top dj's out there. 8)