Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tainted heroin claims six lives (NYC)

Guest macboy

Guest Pepper858

That sucks especially about the 18-year olds.....but that's what you get for doing heroin...besides they were all eventually going to die from it anyway.

Guest Devilicious

Fucked up.

I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference that some of these people were students. It's tragic, and devastating, any time someone loses their life to drugs. The reality is, it's a result of bad decisions, no matter how old you are.

I realize I will get bitched at for saying this, but my first reaction to the story was: damn, if drugs were regulated by the government (legal) this never would have happened.

A startling statistic: only 900 drug related deaths a year? I would have thought it to be a lot more.

Guest General

I agree if drugs were regulated by the government this sort of accidents would be greatly minimize. Unfortunately such laws have little hope of ever being pass :-\

Guest web_norah

there is more about this:

Wednesday (8/10): 24 year-old man in his Avenue B apartment

Friday: Two 18 year-old girls on East Houston Street

Friday: 25 year-old man on roof of East 7th Street apartment building

Saturday: Homeless man in portable toilet at Pier 54

Monday: 42 year-old homeless man in a mini storage facility on Spring Street

The police think the heroin may have been laced with an anesthetic, and both the DoH and NYPD are trying to remind the public that doing any kind of drugs, whether "pure" or adulterated, can lead to death. The last time some bad heroin killed a number of people was in 1991, with 12 deaths and 100 poisonings in the NYC metro area. Some sources say there are more deaths to be linked. If anything, it's giving the East Village and Lower East Side that gritty burnishment as a drug haven once again; the Daily News reports that the $15 bag of "Eden" is popular.

Guest jbit

but that's what you get for doing heroin

No one deserves to die because they made a bad judgement call, whether they were junkies or first timers.

Guest Devilicious

That sucks especially about the 18-year olds.....but that's what you get for doing heroin...besides they were all eventually going to die from it anyway.

that's a very fucked up and untrue statement. because you try heroin once you're going to die from it? please. newsflash: we are all going to die anyway. that doesn't make it any less sad when someone passes.

Guest pod

Death isn't a guarantee anymore, but that's neither here nor there.

There's two schools of thought on this though. One that it isn't their fault, the second is that if they were in university, they should have been smart enough to begin with not to mess around with that shit.

Guest web_norah

noone dies from trying anything the first time, true.

but obviously, heroin isn't a drug to try just for kicks, it kills people and destroys lives of those addicted to it.

Guest pod

noone dies from trying anything the first time, true.

My friend tried jumping off of a cliff without a parachute once, and he died from that. First time, too.

Guest Devilicious

hehehe

That philosophy on university students is flawed. College happens to be the time when a lot of people do the drug experimentation thing.

In the words of Chef, "kids, there's a time and place for everything. It's called college"

Guest mursa

..the heroin was probably cut with something which shouldn't be used ....and I bet they died of Intervenous (in the vein) overdose ....when ur putting things in ur vains str8 up ...you gotta be careful whats in it .

..and no , i've never done heroin and never will..not my bag baby .

Guest pod

That philosophy on university students is flawed. College happens to be the time when a lot of people do the drug experimentation thing.

Some so-called college graduates happen to be some of the most moronic people I know. A $125,000 piece of paper does not automatically make you smart. Any jackass can surf through and get a degree in something easy like mass communications.

Then again, I've seen people on track to get a doctorate in quantum mechanics do some really stupid shit too.

Universities by default impart book smarts, but street smarts? Hardly.

I saw it a million times and then some when I was at UM. Hell, it even happened to me a few times. Not that I did heroin, but stupid shit in general. What I did was mild though. What I saw though made me wonder about the future of this country. I loved the school, but one of the flaws I saw, and I'm gathering that this is more than a UM problem, is that the campus tended to be very insular. Most people's worlds did not extend beyond campus and Coconut Grove. Change that situation, and little Miss Kappa Kappa Gamma would fall to pieces. And I wouldn't put it past her to jack up on heroin if all the 'cool kids' were doing it.

Guest web_norah

college or not, a drug like heroin can kill you

i posted the stats of the people who've died so far -just for people to see that they can be homeless or two young college students.

Guest slamminshaun

I realize I will get bitched at for saying this, but my first reaction to the story was: damn, if drugs were regulated by the government (legal) this never would have happened.

A startling statistic: only 900 drug related deaths a year? I would have thought it to be a lot more.

Ephedra used to be legal, but the misuse of it caused people to die, so the goverment regulating something means jack shit in my book.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4721505/

The government has not proven to me the ability to regulate anything reliably. Social Security, school systems, employment standards, banking and finance....to think the goverment regulating Heroin would somehow make it better is wishful thinking. I think the heroin dealers have more of an incentive to make sure people don't die buying their product because dead customers aren't repeat customers. I can't even get the post office to deliver a letter on time let alone stop me from dying on some heroin.