Clubplanet Nightlife Community

e and ssri's

JaceX

A MAO Inhibitor ("MAO" is pronounced like "cow") is a type of prescription antidepressant. Some of the more common ones include Nardil, Parnate and Marplan. These drugs are very dangerous to combine with MDMA and can result in a potentially fatal condition known as "serotonin syndrome." A number of people have died after consuming Ecstasy while currently taking a prescription MAO Inhibitor.

If you are currently taking a MOA Inhibitor you would probably know (MAO Inhibitors are usually prescribed for depression that also has accompanying anxiety). If for any reason you are unsure, find out before you decide to take ecstasy. If you know you are taking a MAO Inhibitor and you want to take ecstasy at some point, you should quit the MAO Inhibitor for at least two weeks prior to the ecstasy.

Note: MAO Inhibitors are different from SSRIs.. Serotonin reuptake inhibitors like Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft do not interact dangerously with MDMA. However, MDMA use may interfere with the effectiveness of SSRI medications.

[This message has been edited by e-tarded (edited 09-09-2000).]

Info for those who don't know and are wondering some more.

Nevertheless, the idea that certain antidepressants may defend against ecstasy's toxic effects is gaining some credibility with scientists and ravers alike. The theory goes something like this: Ecstasy launches serotonin from special storage cells known as axons. As a result, a tidal wave of chemicals washes over your brain. You feel very, very good. After a while, these feelings start to fade, which means that your axons have probably pumped out all the serotonin that they can.

"From a logical point of view, that would be the point when the toxic insult might occur," says Nichols. With all the serotonin dumped out, the axons are now vulnerable to trouble. Receptors on the cell try to vacuum up the happy-go-lucky chemicals, but in doing so, they may also suck in toxic substances -- either from the ecstasy itself or other brain chemicals like dopamine. The effort involved in pumping these toxins into the axon generates oxygen-free radicals that might damage the cells for good. Prozac, Zoloft or another SSRI can cover the receptor like a blanket, blocking these dangerous substances until they dissipate.

Salon.Com Article

------------------

~*P*L*U*R*~

Four Simple Words To Live By....

[This message has been edited by e-tarded (edited 09-09-2000).]

i used to smoke way way way too much weed, so i've pretty much quit, which means that i have to find other ways to get around coming down. i'm not a big fan of k because it makes me too stumbly and retarded. the best thing i have found is that as soon as i start to come down, i drop 4 Prozac. basically, about 7-10 minutes later, i am right back to baseline. i don't like wellbutrin. it doesn't work as well for this and it makes me extremely jittery. if you smoke cigarettes, the wellbutrin is especially annoying. zoloft kind of works, but Prozac is much more effective and fast-acting. -LB

------------------

Free Tibet.

LeeBressler@att.net...(917) 561-7500 - Call me if you're out and want company

Guest clubkid77

If you take SSRI's regularly as prescribed by a doctor, MDMA generaly has a decreased effect on you. At least this is from my experience with Celexa (the newest and most selective SSRI). Maybe others don't block MDMA as much but i havent tested zoloft, paxil, luvox, and prozac.

As for taking an SSRI on the comedown, its suposed to be the only "Safe" way to use MDMA as far as neurotoxicity is concerned.