Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Simon's in Gainesville

Guest speedway

Guest rhythmburn

Simons Junkie 1994-1998 (and a few odd times here and thereafter)..but HARD CORE 94-98

sean f., ray coker, jask, gressi, chang, grumpy on the roof

three, boyd, joe c, terry francis in the loft (actually was just the main room and roof for years)

klye hogan, brent bader... remember those residents... lol

"2 families togther" hallucination v. hardkiss

rabbit in the moon & hawke live on the main floor...

Northern Exposure 1 tour w/ Sasha & John

first time Greece 2000 was EVER played in the states was @ Simons by Digweed...

man I could go on for hours and days about Simons and Soulhouse

pure class and defo waaaaaaay ahead of its time...

was one hell of a drug whole though... lol..

CHANG!!!!

that's a name i haven't heard in a long, long while..... anyone know what he is up to?

Guest mr. wilkins

Simons Junkie 1994-1998 (and a few odd times here and thereafter)..but HARD CORE 94-98

sean f., ray coker, jask, gressi, chang, grumpy on the roof

three, boyd, joe c, terry francis in the loft (actually was just the main room and roof for years)

klye hogan, brent bader... remember those residents... lol

"2 families togther" hallucination v. hardkiss

rabbit in the moon & hawke live on the main floor...

Northern Exposure 1 tour w/ Sasha & John

first time Greece 2000 was EVER played in the states was @ Simons by Digweed...

man I could go on for hours and days about Simons and Soulhouse

pure class and defo waaaaaaay ahead of its time...

was one hell of a drug whole though... lol..

CHANG!!!!

that's a name i haven't heard in a long, long while..... anyone know what he is up to?

He lives in Bahrain last i heard.... he's on Myspace..

Guest djtroko

Wow, this thread brings back a lot of good memories from the good ol' days. I went to UF from 96-2000 and I remember going to simons on halloween 96 and boy was I amazed. I had never done X or anything and I went pretty drunk and stoned but I was wowed!!! by the sea of people lying in the floor all X-ed up and with the dust masks all blasted with vicks. I think I even recall the kids with balloons filled up with nitrous. That was my start of love for EDM. Though I didnt try X till 2000 (yes my last year) I was in love by the music played in that club. Loved the different rooms in it too. Remember seeing a couple of class act djs back then though I wasnt too familiar with their names in that era. I remember hearing PVD, Sasha and Diggers and I think Oakenfold. That was the glory era of EDM in my opinion though I am still in love with the scene and how its evolved. I guess it was primarely since every thing was so new to me.

P.S.... remember going to Smoke( gators know which store Im talkin about... had amazing drug parapharnalia and sick-ass music in vinyl and cds) to pick up the flyer to what was IMO the best RAVE Ive ever been to in the Atlanta Convention Center in 2000

Sasha & John Digweed

RITM

Monk

Fabio

Long live G-ville and thank you SIMONS for introducing me to EDM

by the sea of people lying in the floor all X-ed up and with the dust masks all blasted with vicks. I think I even recall the kids with balloons filled up with nitrous.

And that is all the authorities see. If there's a lesson to be learned here people, it is that you gotta be discreet, especially with the way this New World Order is beginning to shape up. If I can say anything, I'll say "leave it at home". Too many good clubs and scenes have fallen victim in recent years...

Guest dgrutman

P.S.... remember going to Smoke( gators know which store Im talkin about... had amazing drug parapharnalia and sick-ass music in vinyl and cds) to pick up the flyer to what was IMO the best RAVE Ive ever been to in the Atlanta Convention Center in 2000

vamp was the store conected to it and what was the hot girls name that was a co owner of the place. first time i was able to buy hang ten shirts and fresh jive. oh the memories. love smoke.

Guest musicalmissionary

the best RAVE Ive ever been to in the Atlanta Convention Center in 2000

Sasha & John Digweed

RITM

Monk

Fabio

Long live G-ville and thank you SIMONS for introducing me to EDM

Dude I went to that party and dayum that was my first massive rave and first RITM experience. fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck that was fun. And it was both Fabio and Grooverider me thinks. Never forget that shit. I was like WWWTTTFFF!!!

Noticed a post on the music forum that Simon's in Gainesville is celebrating its 15th anniversary...

I was fortunate enough to be a part of that club years one-four ('90-'94) which (I think for many of us) really set the tone for a long-term appreciation of dance music for me.

I remember in year one, you had to actually be a member with a membership "card" or be a guest of a member to be admitted into the club. A lot of word-of-mouth as to what nights the club was open, etc. In those days, an open bar was often the norm as were extended hours past sunrise. DJ's included Kimball Collins, Andy Hughes and even Sasha occasionally.

I'm curious if any of the Miami junkies have been to Simon's, especially back in those days. If so, please post your thoughts/memories.

And man, I cannot believe its already been 15 years since that place opened.

i was in G-town last weekeng....

i don't think i've been there....

i hate the clubs over there...

i'm goign back next weekend...i'll drop by...

Guest speedway

Appreciate all the responses...still wondering if there is anyone out there who was there during truly the first couple years (guess I'm aging myself).

It was absolutely a scene that was way ahead of its time and the beauty of it was that it originated from the grass roots.

G-Ville, although red-neck in many ways, was a very liberal, artsy place for the students and many young people who didnt necessarily go to school, but loved the scene and the cheap rent. Lots of hippies and alternative types everywhere totally overshadowing the typical frat scene you see in so many college towns.

Simons got started thanks to its owner Simon who was from Europe (Germany if memory serves correct) and saw the potential of a loyal following who already were beginning to get a club scene of sorts going (places like MFP, Rev). He opened Simon's as an underground club for those who seriously "got it" and were looking for an even more advanced experience than what all the clubs/bars were offering.

That initial group became a "family" of sorts with dance music and the club as the focus. A lot of those people went on to start making music, spinning records, and contributing however they could and it all grew from there. At the same time, the rest of Florida (at places like Ahhz in Orlando) and on South Beach and FtL started embracing dance music as well. Simon had hooks with the big-name out-of-town Djs who would come to little-old Gainesville to not only play a gig but to actively participate in and enjoy for themselves this unique scene.

Not totally sure about what all has happened there since (and thanks to the posts have learned about what has occured there lately), but can tell you first hand that those first couple years were truly special.

Guest rhythmburn

Appreciate all the responses...still wondering if there is anyone out there who was there during truly the first couple years (guess I'm aging myself).

It was absolutely a scene that was way ahead of its time and the beauty of it was that it originated from the grass roots.

G-Ville, although red-neck in many ways, was a very liberal, artsy place for the students and many young people who didnt necessarily go to school, but loved the scene and the cheap rent. Lots of hippies and alternative types everywhere totally overshadowing the typical frat scene you see in so many college towns.

Simons got started thanks to its owner Simon who was from Europe (Germany if memory serves correct) and saw the potential of a loyal following who already were beginning to get a club scene of sorts going (places like MFP, Rev). He opened Simon's as an underground club for those who seriously "got it" and were looking for an even more advanced experience than what all the clubs/bars were offering.

That initial group became a "family" of sorts with dance music and the club as the focus. A lot of those people went on to start making music, spinning records, and contributing however they could and it all grew from there. At the same time, the rest of Florida (at places like Ahhz in Orlando) and on South Beach and FtL started embracing dance music as well. Simon had hooks with the big-name out-of-town Djs who would come to little-old Gainesville to not only play a gig but to actively participate in and enjoy for themselves this unique scene.

Not totally sure about what all has happened there since (and thanks to the posts have learned about what has occured there lately), but can tell you first hand that those first couple years were truly special.

AAhhzz!! can anyone say 'chocolate chips' ;)

simon is from one of those eastern european countries, i think bulgaria or romania or one of those...he is a crazy one for sure i saw him two weeks ago there for bukem...he still has a bad ass time partying in his old club, although he knows how real it used to be back when he started his deal...and smoke is still alive and well and still open 24 hours selling uhh whip cream chargers at any time u need them...lol...nothing though will be quite like how that place was during its peak yrs and the scene has soo much changed since...i like it now though just in a different way cause as i have grown up so has the scene...i havent caught myself the way i would get at simons in a few years now and i still have a great time every other weekend at space...its good to reminisce always :)

Guest michael^heaven

---'93-'96 for myself. It was still members only when I first attended. 8)

{}Memory Lane{}

43438141_02f0b99367.jpg

43438142_7e3ab3d9f2.jpg

43438139_9c75b4045c.jpg

43438140_4e12f1d881.jpg

43438136_f868a555be.jpg

43438137_e80152ae9e.jpg

43437809_abed5bd996.jpg

43437810_a92821bf9c.jpg

43437804_213da94c55.jpg

43437806_e6722a735c.jpg

43437807_57181a07a3.jpg

43437808_34b61df8cc.jpg

Simons got started thanks to its owner Simon who was from Europe (Germany if memory serves correct)

---Lebanon.

That initial group became a "family" of sorts with dance music and the club as the focus.

---We always referred to it as the Friendship Alliance. ;)

A lot of those people went on to start making music, spinning records, and contributing however they could and it all grew from there.

---Much respect to Boyd Westerman, Joe Ciaramella, Chris Harshman, Chang, Sean Ferguson, Chris Gallagher, Kyle Hogan, Brent Bader, Todd Beran, Kressi, David G, Dru, Ray, Phats, & all of the rest of the incredible dj talent that kept the rhythms alive during those golden years.

Not totally sure about what all has happened there since

---Simon has leased the club, with the exception of Plasma, in order to keep the venue financially viable. You can still enjoy some amazing music & vibes in a cozy, family feel environment every Friday@Plasma w/Boyd Westerman & get your groove on the first Friday of each month with Lady Cherele & Courtney K.

those first couple years were truly special.

---Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Guest kelly923

However someone mentioned Simon's closing? No. This is just the last tour for the Dubtribe - they will be playing there last gig at Simon's 15th anniversary party.

you're right, my mistake... simon's wasn't sold either; apparently they're leasing it for a few years

Guest speedway

http://www.enation.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34772&highlight=simons

this is a good thread on the subject, (i found it informative)...wasnt around back in the day (i was probably 13 years old then?) but alot of these people were

thanks, Hydra - that thread was exactly what I was looking for...a great trip down memory lane and a great read for those interested in that scene in the day and Simon's place in EDM history.

Guest Mia-Angel

Wow I havent heard anyone mention Simons in years. I was lucky enough to go to tons of events there between 96-99, also known as Simon's peak. That place was a no frills all about the music club. The closest thing we had to it here was the Edge in Ft. Lauderdale. I recall seeing Sasha at Simons for 5 bucks. I paid 3 to see Andy Hughes. That place was great. My most vivid memory was watching where I was stepping so as not to step on the roaches and rats as we walked in through the little narrow back-alley entrance. Ahhh good times, good times indeed. Wow I am feeling real old now. :-[

Guest Mia-Angel

vamp was the store conected to it and what was the hot girls name that was a co owner of the place. first time i was able to buy hang ten shirts and fresh jive. oh the memories. love smoke.

Smoke used to deliver our Nitrous to our door hahaha. The best part the delivery kid didnt want a tip, he wanted to hit a whip it instead. Thats G ville for ya.

Guest DJFX

I actually had the opportunity to play at Simons - Thrice...

For those around late '98-'99, you might remember the Awareness Parties my buddy Pete and I threwh.

I had the honor, for lack of a better term, to experience Simon's from '95-'99...and graduated right before the rave law took effect that summer.

Everything everyone has said about it is true...and then some.

Great times, weekend after weekend after weekend.

How I graduated from the College of Architecture I'll never know!

:D

Peace,

FX

Guest djtroko

I actually had the opportunity to play at Simons - Thrice...

For those around late '98-'99, you might remember the Awareness Parties my buddy Pete and I through.

I had the honor, for lack of a better term, to experience Simon's from '95-'99...and graduated right before the rave law took effect that summer.

Everything everyone has said about it is true...and then some.

Great times, weekend after weekend after weekend.

How I graduated from the College of Architecture I'll never know!

:D

Peace,

FX

Hey dude, I too graduated from UF in Architecture. Funny thing is that nowadays I always speak about UF as the greatest experience in my life and I always end up saying the same thing... how I graduated in Architecture... I'll never know...

Yes, Smoke was def the afterhours stop for those nitrous cartridges. I dont even know how I had the decency of asking a clerk... "erm, yes could you give me not one, but two boxes of nitrous please?"

Boy did I make some nice whip cream in my college years....

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!!!

WHO! WHO! WHO! WHA! WHA! WHA! WHA!!!!

simulating that noise that goes through your head when you do a whip-it shot...

Peace

sv_plus_01.jpg

whipit-chargers-lg.jpg