Clubplanet Nightlife Community

greetings from new orleans

Guest JMT

so im in the area for work the next week or so, and i took a lengthy tour through the city this afternoon. you still arent supposed to drive into the city without permission so its somewhat desolate off the major roads. i think they start letting some residents back in tomorrow. pretty much the only people around are a few residents and sightseers, national guard, city engineers and contractors, a lot of cleaning crews, media people, and police.

as you might imagine there is a layer of dirt on the roads and on every vertical surface you can see a nasty dark line where the water rose up to, its so uniform it looks like someone painted it. also a few cars scattered around that were submerged, debris, etc. downtown seems to have been spared the water for the most part. the suburbs and surrounding areas got the worst of that, but the long power outage has caused major interior damages as well. there is rotting garbage piled everywhere and when walking the stink is enough to give you a headache. you also feel like something is trying to climb its way up into your sinuses after a while.

power is still out on most blocks, and only about 25% of traffic lights are working. To my dismay the majority of bourbon st. is closed or boarded up except for a few stores that are open and/or cleaning. most of the major structural damage in town seems to be the small, really old dilapidated buildings.

that’s about it. i was really hoping harrah’s might some how be open but no dice (no pun intended).

what type of work do you do? do you own the company or are you working for a contractor/sub/ect?

How do most of the affected suburbs by the storm look in your eyes, in terms of structural damages, int/ext damages, n so on.

Do you believe that most neighborhood properties will be "total loss" n demolished n if so, do you have any idea when they will start to do that?

thanks

Guest LeVeL

Thanks for the update John, I will soon have to go up there to help some family members of mine move from New Orleans to Arkansas.

Their home is a total loss but we are going to go into the city and get the little property they have left for they can start their new life in the Razorback State... :-\

Take care John

Guest JMT

Diogo, i work for a restoration contractor - mainly commercial structures. i budget, estimate and solicit projects... based in florida but we decided to make a play for work in N.O.

id say most of the surrounding areas are in pretty rough shape. the water is all gone now. if the wind didnt get em the mold is going to be devastating, and judging by how fast these things get taken care of, there will be many buildings still not cleaned out a year from now. as far as the house go, i have not seen any interiors. from what i can see from the road, most will be either totally gutted or demo-ed. most of the structural damage was to older houses and buildings that were already a bit fragile. downtown there is really only a couple high rises that have significant windows blown out. one hotel has a lot out. i cant imagine the mold in there though.

Level, sorry about you relatives. have they been back to their house yet?

Guest BIOBLIZZARD

Diogo, i work for a restoration contractor - mainly commercial structures. i budget, estimate and solicit projects... based in florida but we decided to make a play for work in N.O.

id say most of the surrounding areas are in pretty rough shape. the water is all gone now. if the wind didnt get em the mold is going to be devastating, and judging by how fast these things get taken care of, there will be many buildings still not cleaned out a year from now. as far as the house go, i have not seen any interiors. from what i can see from the road, most will be either totally gutted or demo-ed. most of the structural damage was to older houses and buildings that were already a bit fragile. downtown there is really only a couple high rises that have significant windows blown out. one hotel has a lot out. i cant imagine the mold in there though.

Level, sorry about you relatives. have they been back to their house yet?

Janet,

I'm a little late for dinner but wanted to wish for the best over there and make sure to take plenty of photograph's and give us a full report on what's going on especially in restoration cost's and acessed damages.

Sincerely,

Walter/Debbie