Clubplanet Nightlife Community

question for the dj's

Guest itsalexg

Guest swirlundergrounder

Well IMO you have to know who you're playing for and select music that the crowd you're playing for can best understand. Some places/events have a sound of their own. And DJ's have a sound of their own. Hopefully the DJ and the place/event that they're playing at is compatable.

Persoanally I never have a set planned out. 100% of time it never works out the way you planned it to. A lot of DJ's who are just starting to play out live do plan their sets to feel comfortable with their mixes. But the bottom line is you never know what the crowd is going to do. You never know how many people are going to be in the club or what mood they're going to be in. You never know if you will be playing your whole set, if your set is shortened or if your set will run over time. One of the only things you should plan is to accept that nature will take its course and try not to force anyhting.

In my experience, if you play somewhere where the crowd expects you to play a certain way because they are familiar with your sound (such as at a residency) then it's easier. You can pretty much play what you want within the confines of what the crowd expects you to play.

My plan is to always have a variety of music with you. You can have you're regular box of music that you are known to play and in addition to that have more music that compliments your sound but can also take the crowd in another direction.

Another plan a DJ should have is to always expect the unexpected!! Your slot could be moved to another time of the night, therefore the crowd can totally change.

So for myself, I mainly play progressive house. But I also have a compliment of music such as tech house and deep house to go along with my main sound so that I can taylor my music to what's going on in the night during my set.

I do have mixes that I plan but they are no longer than 3 songs. If I want the crowd to react a certain way then I will play a certain sequence of mixes to take the crowd to were I want them to be.

I also get to my gig early to feel out what's going on. I usually try to arrive no later than 30 mins b4 I have to play. Perferably an hour before so that I can get a drink, relax and feel out the crowd and atmosphere. Also to make sure all the equipment is in order.

No matter how many times you play out and at how many venues or how many times you've played at that particular venue, you first mix is always your most uncomfortable mix of your set. Your ears have to adjust and you phyically have to adjust to the DJ set up and mentally adjust to the enviornment that you are thrown into within a few minutes. I always never play a new record in my first mix. B4 I go on, I plan my first 3 records that I'm going to play, mainly records that I know well and tracky records so that I don't have to do much except get comfy in the booth...

Guest defunes

What ^ he said! The first mix is so uncomfortable for me..I get so damn nervous...not matter how many gigs I have. I always try and plan something but I never do what I had programmed. I always have a view of where I want my set to go, at least the general direction or story..

Guest jamu

I right on pod. I totally agree with everything you said, and I would like to add. Oscar in his article also hit it on the nail. Sometimes DJ's want to play their best stuff to quickly, and having a reference list although not followed biblically helps keep your sets on track. That way you may or may not play a track, but you also might forget that you might want to play a certain track before another, although not your favorite track essential to the mix so as to continue a stedy flow for the dance flow, and a continious build up.

Only ten more posts to go for 10,000 pod!!!!!!!!!!

Guest trauma

Well, I usually know what "type" of music I'm going to play, but I never plan an entire set. I know what records mix with other records, and sometimes reuse mixes that I know have worked in the past. The best thing for a DJ to do is read the crowd. You can play Track A at Venue X and it will rock the crowd something fierce. But then the next night you can play Track A at Venue W and it will make the crowd look at you and wonder what the hell you're doing.

Saleen makes a good point in that you should ask other DJs that have played the club/room and see what worked and didn't work, etc. Also, scouting out the venue is something that I've thought about, but never actually done. I think I'll start. :o)

Guest colione98

The kid right here....

If you really want to get technical- a set is a set no matter what. Whether it is on paper or a mental note, the idea is to key in 3 tracks in advance to create some type of build(if you know what you are doing)...

Therefore, if you add up all your mental notes and transpose to paper, voila! A set list...

You can argue that fact that it was not written prior to the set and therefore it’s not a set. But if you key in 3-4 tracks in your mind and diligently carry out that idea, it is as good as writing it down.

There is no limit as to what a set consists of… It can be from 2 tracks to 100.. Depending on how much time you have to shine…

I have had gigs in Asia where I only had only 10 minutes to do my thing during another djs peak hour set.- Of course my selection was a mental note but if I wrote those 3-4 tracks down, you would call it cheating as oppose to a mental note.

That's the technical aspect of it....

Now, to correct any misconception of feeling the crowd.. Your feeding off has to remain in the confines of the genre. Because if you have a certain style and you are playing at a venue that caters to your style, it’s all about YOU CONTROLLING the CROWD…

But as many djs do, they compromise themselves due to lack of whatever and end up filling their bags with a slue of genres and if one does not go right, then you switch to another... That only means that THE CROWD IS CONTROLLING YOU...

But if you have mastered your style considering that you are playing a venue that caters to you due to proper planning and non-compromising then, no matter what you give em, you will always be a success because again, you have mastered your style.

Hey, I know plenty of cats that compromise and want to eat with the big dogs and play what the city likes. But I also know cats that are struggling but have stuck to their guns and are awaiting to be recognized for their style to be recognized.

It's a catch 22- no one said it was easy...

Where feeding off the crowd comes into play? It’s where you have to keep within rules of the “rise, peak and fall†concepts. You are already playing at venue that caters to your style, so you don’t really have to worry about playing tracks don’t really go.

Sticking to your style is key.. It's good to have a couple of known tracks here and there from other genres, but you cant build a comedy on too many love scenes.. Just doesn't add up

For example, Jask from Thaisoul is past the point of compromising and will not venture from what he is known to play. I have not heard him live but there is a good chance that you would not see him at crobar NYC laying down some big room NYC anthems… It’s house but he will target his style..

So, in short- due to my wordiness :P

You've done prior research, not compromising your track selection.

your at a venue that caters to most of your track selection(I say most now)

you've mastered your style and know your tracks

now you are relaxed because its your sound- total control

Now, all you have to worry about is telling the story and not giving away any good scences before the picture ends....