Clubplanet Nightlife Community

the art of opening a room

Guest ramon

Guest ramon

can anyone in miami do it? i've been out the past 2 nights and folks seem to be bangin' it the fuck out at 1am. opening a room is as important as headlining or even closing, it allows you the dj to set the mood and let people get comfortable in the club. you don't need to play every big fuckin record in your box .. the word breakdown should be nonexistant from atleast the first hour of your set .. just play some groovy stuff that gets people intrested and out onto the dance floor .. the first time i saw danny tenaglia he started off real deep and techy and brought it up from there. it was an amazing night. i'm not saying you have to play ultra deep, but seriously you ever consider the dj after you is gonna play some of those 'bombs' that you may have. have some respect and last but no least play your time slot don't go over it.

last but not least there are some great dj's in this town, but few of them know how to open a room.

comments/questions?

Guest djjoncowan

can anyone in miami do it? i've been out the past 2 nights and folks seem to be bangin' it the fuck out at 1am. opening a room is as important as headlining or even closing, it allows you the dj to set the mood and let people get comfortable in the club. you don't need to play every big fuckin record in your box .. the word breakdown should be nonexistant from atleast the first hour of your set .. just play some groovy stuff that gets people intrested and out onto the dance floor .. the first time i saw danny tenaglia he started off real deep and techy and brought it up from there. it was an amazing night. i'm not saying you have to play ultra deep, but seriously you ever consider the dj after you is gonna play some of those 'bombs' that you may have. have some respect and last but no least play your time slot don't go over it.

last but not least there are some great dj's in this town, but few of them know how to open a room.

comments/questions?

completely agreed ramon. the opening set is almost more important than the main set. it is an art form and to me was more enjoyable then playing the main set. it should be used as a time to express your deeper side and bring the crowd up and down but just groovey enough to keep them interested and have them drooling for the headlining dj to play. to many dj's think they need to play bomb after bomb and not set up the main guy correctly. Its really a shame guys take this attitude because the opening set can truly make or break a night

Guest Justin Johnson

I 100% agree with you Ramon, and I've had this same coversation with many people. And it's funny because I know exactly what you're referring to last night... ;)

The opening slot is equally important, if not more important, to any other slot. Period.

Guest stryke303

what the hell!?!?!? not only do we djs have to dj, now we have to open rooms!? isn't that the manager's job or whoever has the keys to the joint? hells bells!

;D

Guest dirtyhouse777

totally agreed.

but i think in miami alot of people arrive blasted to the club at 1, and are out by 3 or 4. they aren't worried about musical journeys into the morning nor can they differentiate between tiesto and oscar g. so the dj can kinda do whatever in that aspect.

to me there's nothing better than walking into a room half full, mellow tunes playing, sipping a chilled adult beverage, and progressively getting into the groove as the party gets started.

i just don't think the rest of miami feels the same.

Guest Justin Johnson

what the hell!?!?!? not only do we djs have to dj, now we have to open rooms!? isn't that the manager's job or whoever has the keys to the joint? hells bells!

;D

LOL!

Guest djqba

the word "humble" comes to mind.. When opening for another DJ one must remain humble and remember there someone coming after me. Ramon I couldn't agree with you more that opening a room is ultra important to setting the mood for the evening. I will tell you there are DJ's in miami who can and do open room with grace and style... :-X

Guest Vitaliy

depends on who you open for and where imo. if you're playing mellow at space by 1am then you're warming up the room for the headliner. if it's at blue then you're helping the bar sell more red bulls.

Guest dirtyhouse777

depends on who you open for and where imo. if you're playing mellow at space by 1am then you're warming up the room for the headliner. if it's at blue then you're helping the bar sell more red bulls.

funny

Guest r3nz0

Tilt will learn how to spell before I see a proper opening of a room in Miami.

That being said, Paolo Mojo did a good job opening for Sasha @ Crobar.

Guest Cosmigonon

;D

Hahaha...

Guest colione98

I 100% agree with you Ramon, and I've had this same coversation with many people. And it's funny because I know exactly what you're referring to last night... ;)

The opening slot is equally important, if not more important, to any other slot. Period.

the kid right here..

I think that there is a lot involved here....

One has to remember that as much as you have to keep up to date with opening tracks, you have to keep up with peak hour tracks.. And that in itself is costly I might add... That is what the problem is... djs can be complacent at times and just spend all their dough on peak hour tracks but really they are opening acts....

Also,

So many dj's in Miami end up having so many gigs in a four night period going for one night as a opener and another as a headliner, it does not really help the matter...

If this city were to have more headliners that actually maintain a long term position and a good rotation of openers, than the night would flow more appropriately.. Because promoters could choose directly from the current or up and coming opening acts...

But now, a guy does a night here, main lines another night there, and is resources are unbalanced.... cause venues are different and call for different opening tracks....

I am not sure if you quite understand but that is where I am coming from....

Guest dirtyhouse777

the kid right here..

I think that there is a lot involved here....

One has to remember that as much as you have to keep up to date with opening tracks, you have to keep up with peak hour tracks.. And that in itself is costly I might add... That is what the problem is... djs can be complacent at times and just spend all their dough on peak hour tracks but really they are opening acts....

Also,

So many dj's in Miami end up having so many gigs in a four night period going for one night as a opener and another as a headliner, it does not really help the matter...

If this city were to have more headliners that actually maintain a long term position and a good rotation of openers, than the night would flow more appropriately.. Because promoters could choose directly from the current or up and coming opening acts...

But now, a guy does a night here, main lines another night there, and is resources are unbalanced.... cause venues are different and call for different opening tracks....

I am not sure if you quite understand but that is where I am coming from....

somehow this makes sense, and brings other things to light...

Guest skywalker01

i've seen the opening dj embarrass the headliner (imo) masiello warming up for digweed (crobar- last year?) comes to mind. digweed was a bit boring, but it sure as hell made me want to see desyn again.

hm...

or could it be that the next guy up is just not as good as the previous one.. ?

and though it seems as if the opening guy is at fault

just a personal thought ;)

i've seen the opening dj embarrass the headliner (imo) masiello warming up for digweed (crobar- last year?) comes to mind. digweed was a bit boring, but it sure as hell made me want to see desyn again.

very interesting....

during wmc 2004 i saw chris fortier open for digweed at nerve, and he blew him out of the water!!!! one of the best dj sets i've ever seen, period. made me a devoted fan. however, in that case i didn't feel fortier trumped digweed at all, it was just his style that was so unique to me and impressed me so much. diggers was really good that night, don't get me wrong.

that being said, is an opening dj supposed to suppress his/her style in order not to shine brighter than the headliner? i don't think so.

that being said, i love a good opening set, for all the reasons already mentioned. it gets me pumped ;D

in my opinion,

lot has to do with feeling the dance floor..

sometimes, you come to a club, in the opening set.. or closing.. and the dj sucks..

the people are not even moving to his beats and he just keeps on pushing tracks that noone on the dance floor is feeling.. but a few drunks

and yet he/she just keeps pushing the lame tracks .. maybe thinking the floor will get in to it..

no way!

sometimes, I feel like ripping it apart on the dance floor to hard core like Lisa Lashes.. while other times.. I just want to chill to the softer house beats...

A good dj opening or closing.. will sense that and flow with the energy surrounding him/her

just a personal thought :)

Guest Metropolis Chic

comments/questions?

You should come by Metropolis and check out Bruno's opening set for Derrick May and Stacey Pullen. Bruno definetly opens a room properly.... Also, "ANDREW CHIBALE" has done a great job opening for Bruno in the past...

Bruno is hot ..

I have to say that he is one of the few who really catches my attention on the dance floor...

he is a good dj, everyone seems to be on the dance floor when he is behind the decks

don't have too many memories of Edgar V

Guest nova

have you ever been to tantra on a saturday night having dinner and listening to the opener there? damn i take my hat off to that guy... :o :o :o its one of the best openners I seen so far... i was there from 8 with my boss and stayed untill the hip hop dj arrived but that guy manage to merge the crowd from dinner with the hip hop crowd before mike simms gets on the decks... I talk to the dj and he saids he is beign the resident on tantra for the past 2 years... =D he gave me a demo and I got to say that some impresive shit im surprise why the guy hasn't a spot opening anywhere else... im telling you... even if you dont have dinner have a couple of drinks and listen to this guy... very suttle how he starts with chillout, lounge, jazzy lounge, funky, some electro funk (but nothing hard), disco house (for the older crowd), and to leave the sets to mike hip hop remixes in house... =D i think it was pretty impresive.