Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ibook help....

Guest Devilicious

Guest Devilicious

Yeah so I think my ibook is about 2 years old, and it hasn't had any problems until the other week when it just wouldn't turn on. We took the battery out and put it back in, and tried again, and miraculously it worked. I made sure to only let it go to 'sleep' for the past 2 weeks and it was fine. I turned it off last night, and now it won't turn back on. Anyone got a clue what gives???

Guest rhythmburn

check the battery terminals for corrosion/foreign material inside the machine and on the battery itself. that *could* be a problem....

Guest endymion

The battery terminals are definitely a possibility if it's a hardware problem. A more remote possibility is that your battery has a short, in which case you can sometimes get it to boot by taking the battery completely out of the iBook and plugging in the power cord like normal. Sometimes a faulty battery can prevent it from booting and taking it out will let it boot as long as it's plugged in.

Another very real possibility is that it's not off when you think it's off. You could have a software problem that locks it up with the screen off. In that case all you have to do is power it down. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds or if it's too crashed even for that then take out the battery and the power cord and leave it for a bit and then try to boot it. This sort of crashed zombie state is pretty common and sometimes when it happens the pulsing power light will be off so that it looks dead but it's really powered on and just stuck.

Guest macboy

The ibook chargers have had problems in the past with shorting out. Press the button on the battery, please, and tell us if it has any juice left.

Guest Devilicious

Ok I took all the advice of techjunkie (thanks a mill for trying), and nothing....

When I press the button on the battery, all 4 lights light up green for a few seconds, then go out.

Guest Devilicious

Just curious, even though your ibook is off, by any chance do you have a steady bright sleep light?

when it was in sleep mode before, the light would be on. Now I have no light :(

Guest web_norah

i had a similar issue months ago, and basically it was the battery, i hadnt had it replaced since this G4 was purchased, and it was over 3 yrs ago....i replaced the battery, and problem was solved.

i had a similar issue months ago, and basically it was the battery, i hadnt had it replaced since this G4 was purchased, and it was over 3 yrs ago....i replaced the battery, and problem was solved.

I had the same problem with my dell. I got the new batter but i just keep it out since Lappy is always plugged in.

Guest Devilicious

Thanks for all of the help guys. I'm afraid it doesn't seem to be the battery. My power cord is also a lil banged up so that might have something to do with it. Taking it to the apple store next week. I'll let ya know what happens.

Guest Devilicious

my fucking ipod is still broken :'(

I'll ask about it when I go to the apple store... if you'd like I can take it with me. I'm going next week