Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A house head, with or without lights?

Guest Darwin Castillo

Guest Darwin Castillo

I have been getting a lot of noise from people stating that "real" old school house heads like the clubs dark. I’m an old school house head and I’m not fond of the dark rooms. If I would like to go to a club and be in the dark, hell, I’ll stay home in my room with bumping a/c and fresh ass toons.

So the question on this thread is, is a “real†house head the one who likes the room dark (no lights)? Does this define u as a “real†house head? Oh, and when did it become cool to have it black that u can’t see the next person over unless u turn on your cell phone?

Guest pod

We're biased here, you and me, because we've got a background and vested interest in clubs being decently lit.

It isn't about dark, per se, it is about having effective programming for the music being generated. You can have bright lighting but it better look good.

Guest Darwin Castillo

We're biased here, you and me, because we've got a background and vested interest in clubs being decently lit.

It isn't about dark, per se, it is about having effective programming for the music being generated. You can have bright lighting but it better look good.

But this still doesnt define how some say ("real" house heads), they are when we all are at the end.

Guest colione98

But this still doesnt define how some say ("real" house heads), they are when we all are at the end.

Realness is a concept that relies on past events and theories and includes today's advancements to embrace evolution...

Today is a new day with more beatiful faces.....

Also, the sounds of today encorporate more sound-fx with massive build ups that which needs proper light-programming as POD stated to ensure maximum effectiveness..

"Real house heads" embrace change...

Those that do not, are not "REAL"

Guest musicalmissionary

A "'real' house head" just cares about the music so don't sweat it too much.

About the lights though, why pick between "dark room" and "brightly lit". Why not do both? Depending on the music, either bring it down and leave it dark for a while or blow it out. No need to pick between the two... do both.

Guest colione98

A "real" house head... that's very open to interpretation, so I don't think it can even be discussed.

interpretations are opinion, and opinions are discussed to bring about a path towards closure.. ;)

So what' your opinioin?

Guest Darwin Castillo

A "'real' house head" just cares about the music so don't sweat it too much.

About the lights though, why pick between "dark room" and "brightly lit". Why not do both? Depending on the music, either bring it down and leave it dark for a while or blow it out. No need to pick between the two... do both.

Thanks! This is what I wanted to hear. A lot of people around are running that line, just like old house heads, or even better, its too bright, we like it dark like old house heads. Ha ha. Well, thanks to you all. I can see the “true†house head evolves and doesn’t stay behind.

Guest musicalmissionary

My opinion is that's pointless to try to even discuss the merits of "true" house-headism. Even more pointless to do so in terms of club lighting.

Darwin, do your thing how you see fit. Try to mix it up like I said earlier. If the DJ has a problem with it he'll let you know.

Guest pod

That's what I said in my post. As long as your programming fits the music, it shouldn't matter if it is dark or light.

My advice for that patio, use your wash fixtures more on the tent surface, it adds a nice ambient glow.

Guest Darwin Castillo

My opinion is that's pointless to try to even discuss the merits of "true" house-headism. Even more pointless to do so in terms of club lighting.

Darwin, do your thing how you see fit. Try to mix it up like I said earlier. If the DJ has a problem with it he'll let you know.

The DJ. Ha, they give me the props like Rich Medina. Super cool cat! Its not that, I wont get into the critic of people but that’s what I get from type a or from type b and at the end, they don’t know sh**! The dj is the only one that knows if he’s doing his job (and with help of the light man if they have one). Man, not to point a finger here or there but I have been to clubs from here to NYC and the darker clubs, they look like crack havens and people don’t really dance much but stand around, great job mr. dj. I think they both go hand in hand and if they don’t realize that, then it will be an aight party.

Guest musicalmissionary

Man, not to point a finger here or there but I have been to clubs from here to NYC and the darker clubs, they look like crack havens and people don’t really dance much but stand around

Umm, I'm gunnu have to disagree on that one. I went to Spirit in NYC a month ago for Damian Lazarus and James Holden. Dark room club with almost no lights. I haven't seen that many people dance so well anywhere in Miami. No more crackheads than any of Miami's top 5 venues. Vibe was off the charts.

Guest Darwin Castillo

If a house head falls on the dance floor of a dark room as opposed to a brightly lit room, is anybody there to witness?

Ha ha ha. Funny!

Guest Darwin Castillo

Man, not to point a finger here or there but I have been to clubs from here to NYC and the darker clubs, they look like crack havens and people don’t really dance much but stand around

Umm, I'm gunnu have to disagree on that one. I went to Spirit in NYC a month ago for Damian Lazarus and James Holden. Dark room club with almost no lights. I haven't seen that many people dance so well anywhere in Miami. No more crackheads than any of Miami's top 5 venues. Vibe was off the charts.

Aight aight, but ya know what I mean, lights helps out the music in a club. Or at least it seems it. You want to enjoy the ups and downs of the sounds u are hearing. Well, its good to know that they're people out there that enjoy it as well (and are "real" house heads, ha ha).

Guest tbooty

Darwin thanks bro. your doing a much better job than the guy before you. you seem to actualy care about what your doing.. and it shows. as far as the light and dark debate go.. i think alot of its just a matter of personal taste. (ok, i tend to like it a bit darker.. but thats me) just follow the music and use the Force! Keep the speed of the lights in tempo w/ the music and stay away from the green ones (no one looks good in green light)

I have been getting a lot of noise from people stating that "real" old school house heads like the clubs dark. I’m an old school house head and I’m not fond of the dark rooms. If I would like to go to a club and be in the dark, hell, I’ll stay home in my room with bumping a/c and fresh ass toons.

So the question on this thread is, is a “real†house head the one who likes the room dark (no lights)? Does this define u as a “real†house head? Oh, and when did it become cool to have it black that u can’t see the next person over unless u turn on your cell phone?

becarefull with the word "real"....josh might get real pissy bout that

Guest pod

Green sucks..only green I like is present in Martin fixtures. I forget the exact Rosco equivalent but I would best describe it as "Neon Green"...

Stick with blue, magenta, red (any cues with red, reduce your intensity about 15 percent), cyan, and the occasional dash of yellow and white.

Guest Darwin Castillo

and purple and red and orange oh my, ha ha ha, I hear u guys, its just the fact when people say that they are "real" oldschool house heads, that's like saying, u dont know any better and u dont know anyone from a hole in the wall so dont speak. thats my little grrrr. but its all fun and joy at the end.

Oh and btw, thanks tbooty, i learned it all by the guy who use to be there. he showed me the ropes, i took it into my hands after. u should check him out at spirits, he rocks it there.