Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Drug problem.....

Guest deejay

Guest deejay

I've been in the scene since 91'. I've heard a lot of music, in various surroundings with very interesting crowds. So, recently I came to a conclusion. :o

When I first became involved, I didn't know of the music. I was listening to Yes and Jimi Hendrix, etc. I was 18 years young and into acid and mushrooms, etc. These substances helped (or forced..lol..) me to have a deeper understanding of .....stuff. The music had new meaning to me and there was a desire to go deeper. Then I heard...James Brown is Dead.. funny lookin back on it..it changed my life forever. I had a friend who took me to my first "rave". From that point on, I was a raver and I knew in the deepest parts of my soul that it was my calling. The music was new...fresh...unlike any other that I had ever heard before.

How much of a "roll"...lol..did the drugs play in my enjoyment and understanding of the music? Would I have been sucked in, like I am now, with out the use of the drugs as a tool of understanding? You gotta admit...hearing an anthem on x or acid is something totally different than hearing it on alcohol or sober. What I eventually learned after many wrong turns and dilemas with the use of drugs is that they are not mandatory to a good time and are surely not something to get involved with if you are seeking a real, responsible life. Like all things, I suppose, there are good and bad traits to the use of drugs. Aspirin is good if you have a headache...x may be good for a RITM show....heh...lol. My point is this....it seems to me that the drugs have diminished from the scene. Somehow we all either got busted one too many times or just simply grew out of that phase. We had an understanding. Life and music is important...not the drugs. But then I went to a show recently and the crowd was soooooooo boring...all drunk and tired. What good is it gonna do for the DJ or the vibe if everyone is just leaning on a wall in a stuper? Do the drugs really play an important role in our scene?

I come from California and shit was just out of control..I've been gone for about a year now. People there forgot that the drugs are meant to be used as a tool for having fun, energy, and an understanding. Drugs there became more important than the music. What is like in Miami?

Guest deejay

Seems like this subject may have a little "tabboo" associated with it...Where else can I ask about stuff like this and expect to get a reasonable and educated response?

Guest deejay

Maybe you're right. ::) I'm just trying to steer clear of the wrong path. LA really kinda fucked me up...just wondering about the scene in Miami...that's all.

Guest Miss_Digital

i'm not from miami .. but i can tell you about the scene in the domincan republic , where i'm from.... pre -2000 ... parties where small about 150 - 200 heads, the biggest names to set foot on the island was strkye ( some of the best parties i went too were with stryke)... drugs were a big party of it also the few that went to theese parties where really big fans of the music.... now scene has taken off ... its like its "in style" or something :o very commercial ...

Guest Miss_Digital

Maybe you're right. ::) I'm just trying to steer clear of the wrong path. LA really kinda fucked me up...just wondering about the scene in Miami...that's all.

i guess people are just over the whole exctasy boom

Guest Diabolique

It's on eof those Qs you don't need to dwell on. you're here aren't you? doesn't matter how you got here, but that you did, AND you now can and do enjoy music completly sober. I went throught that too...

I've never been high at a ritm show...wouldn't want to ruin the experience...personally.

:)

im still addicted, i know its bad, i tried the light stuff but it tastes like crap...im not an alcoholic, social drinker, used to be a crazed party goer, i know that people are on drugs when i go out to a club, comedy club, kracky kreams...never broke my heart...but i do enjoy the music sober as well, the alcohol just makes things a bit more "understandable..."

It costs less than your average illegal substance, you'll have a great time, no need for cheapo dark shades, and the dea won't have you in their most wanted list...

020.jpg

Guest Miss_Digital

It's on eof those Qs you don't need to dwell on. you're here aren't you? doesn't matter how you got here, but that you did, AND you now can and do enjoy music completly sober. I went throught that too...

I've never been high at a ritm show...wouldn't want to ruin the experience...personally.

it depends on the person too ...

but in general if you like the music ( any type of music ) any drug might enhance the experience...

with or w/o drugs you should have a good time

Guest notfarfromhome

In continueing to party in NYC you notice that the drug scene is still alive and well. The access to them on the other hand is somewhat less. I remember going to Tunnel and having kids and I don't mean a couple I mean like 25-50 kids just walking up to everyone saying "hits", "X", "rolls" all night and well into the morning.

Now with the way security has been cracking down and the age that most of us are at its just not worth getting busted for carrying shit into the clubs. (Just drop b4 you get in).

Guest Diabolique

I can say that I know a number of edm fans who have never touched anything and they love it very much. but then again..

"If you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, then go home and burn all your records, all your tapes, and all your CDs because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives? RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL fucking high on drugs. The Beatles were so fucking high they let Ringo sing a few songs."

~Bill Hicks

Surely they enhance things but it's not the core appeal of music. & clubbing....right? There was a time when I thought 'how could I ever go out without X'..well...now I can't remember what that's like, and it's just fine with me. I've had my fill, done more rolls than there are days in the year...or two! ^_^ It occured to me one day, if I listen to music sober at home so why should I bother when I go out. Besides, it's a long drive home and the last thing I want is the po-po ruining my night...

Guest BAEZ

i'm not from miami .. but i can tell you about the scene in the domincan republic , where i'm from.... pre -2000 ... parties where small about 150 - 200 heads, the biggest names to set foot on the island was strkye ( some of the best parties i went too were with stryke)... drugs were a big party of it also the few that went to theese parties where really big fans of the music.... now scene has taken off ... its like its "in style" or something :o very commercial ...

I used to live in Dom. Rep. i went to those Stryke parties, and once in a year big name DJ coming down. Now DR is like BOOOM, every weekend theres a huge event. Even Cocoon Club went down there last year i believe!

Guest pod

I didn't know your apt had a Dynacord Alpha Concept system installed?

I don't know, I'm a single camera-carrying alcoholic with a penchant for massive sound systems and huge lighting arrays. Staying home isn't an option.

Guest Chica

Never done and never will do drugs is just not my thing...

Oye balsera deja el perico :P

callate asere lol.....I can't believe i said that word

Guest deejay

Orisha...I like your style. That is basically where I find myself. Inspired and changed forever by the insight (or deciept) that the drugs gave me. Music is different without those drugs. I just think that sometimes I feel not welcomed by a crowd of people who are to insecure to dance. They don't have the drugs desolving thier boundaries for them. It just feels stiff and kinda "angry" most of the time. I'm used to raves and parties where, if your not careful, you're gonna get a hug from just about everyone you see. People were so happy to be out and amongst other good people.

Guest ALKO-HAULIC

Orisha...I like your style. That is basically where I find myself. Inspired and changed forever by the insight (or deciept) that the drugs gave me. Music is different without those drugs. I just think that sometimes I feel not welcomed by a crowd of people who are to insecure to dance. They don't have the drugs desolving thier boundaries for them. It just feels stiff and kinda "angry" most of the time. I'm used to raves and parties where, if your not careful, you're gonna get a hug from just about everyone you see. People were so happy to be out and amongst other good people.

to each his own my friend. this really has no need to be discussed. no matter where you go there are those who ALWAYS get f@#cked up, there are those who selectively choose those SPECIAL nites with good friends that decide to enhance through the use of substances and there are those who just LOVE the scene and never have or will use drugs but still immerse themselves with the crowd, their friends even who are all f@@ked up. itsd all about having a good time, no need to go into details. if youve been in the scene, you know how it is it doesnt need to be questioned. there are those who had an epiphany one day and decided they no longer needed to use substances to enjoy the music and thats great. just party, be yourself, and let loose. live life and to each his own. go to space, there is a good mixture of drunks, people fucked up, sober and the energy is outta hand.

THA ALKI HAS SPOKEN 8)

Guest tijuanarave

You can't deny it, drugs do ENHANCE the music experience. The Beatles, and everybody who has ever been high and produced good music, had to have talent to make that music before they even did drugs. The drugs just enhanced that talent.

The problem is not in the drugs or alcohol, the problem is in realizing which one is taking control over you, because once that happens you are in trouble.

If you don't know how to have fun in the first place and start doing drugs just to have fun then:

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM

just my .02 cents

Guest skywalker01

for me, the music came first. i absolutely fell in love with it, totally sober. if you need the drugs to enjoy yourself then i agree, there is a problem. if it is your escape from reality and doesn't become your reality, then that's ok in my opinion. we all need our time away from life's trials and tribulations. you just have to be smart enough to know when to draw the line and realize what's truly important.

slogans seen on t shirts:

music matters

music is the drug

Guest mursa

^^^

smart kid. If you need drugs to have fun, there's an issue.

Dear Dan ,

Just a reminder ........ Alcohol is a drug .

and as far as drugs (the ones that were made illegal by politicians) go .....you get what you deserve if your naive enough to let it control your life .

Guest pod

Yes, yes I know. Believe it or not, I can go out sober and still have a good time. I just choose to drink. Hell I was at Space for four hours before I picked up my first drink.

Monday - Thursday I'm scarily sober. I don't associate with you outside of clubs so you don't see "that side" of me.

We've had the booze vs other drugs argument in other threads...what it came down to was that whatever your poison, you shouldn't do it if you can't handle it.

Sadly, too many people in this town can't. You know them as well as I do.