Clubplanet Nightlife Community

POD - (any other photography aficionado)

I want to get a digital SLR camera for under $500.

I been looking into the Minolta DiMAGE A200 but some people complaint about "lag time" betwen pressing the shutter release button and the camera taking the picture...

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/main/kmpi/content/cam/cam_Product_Pages/DiMAGE_A200

What cameras would you recommend?

Thanks

DjM

Guest pod

You won't be able to get a D-SLR for under 500 unless you hit Ebay or the used market

The A200 is an "SLR-like" camera, which basically means it has the style of an SLR, but none of the advantages, which are low shutter lag, a large sensor, and overall better handling and image quality.

I would recommend looking for used D-SLRs like the 300D

http://www.keh.com/shop/SHOWPRODUCT.CFM?CRID=13160571&SKID=DC0299908141306&SID=newused&BID=DC&CID=02&SOID=N&curpic=0&dpsp=0

For a little bit more on the same site you can get a new 350D or a used 10D...

Bear in mind this is body only. I can recommend some good lenses for a low price if you want.

Guest saintjohn

Dan, what's the life expectancy of the 10D's shutter mechanism? I've read 50,000 cycles, which means I need to start shopping again.

Guest pod

Oh and wait till the end of next month, Canon will most likely announce a 20D successor.

* EOS D30 - 5/17/2000

* EOS 1D - 9/25/2001

* EOS D60 - 2/22/2002

* EOS 1Ds - 9/24/2002

* EOS 10D - 2/27/2003

* EOS 300D (Digital Rebel) - 8/20/2003

* EOS 1D MkII -1/29/2004

* EOS 20D - 8/19/2004

* EOS 1Ds MkII - 9/21/2004

* EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT) - 2/17/2005

* EOS 1D MKII N - 8/22/2005

* EOS 5D - 8/22/2005

* ?????? - 2/??/2006

As you can see, products are usually announced in February and August/September and DSLR product lines are currently on something like an 18 month cycle. If you continue this series you'd predict the next date for an announcement of a new DSLR would be February 2006 ((2/??/2006) and looking at the sequence, you'd predict that whatever is announced is most likely to be a camera in the D30-D60-10D-20D line. It's also possible the EOS 1Ds MkII might get a slight facelift, like the 1D Mk II did in August with the 1D MkII N.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/canon_questions_eos30d.html

The A200 is an "SLR-like" camera, which basically means it has the style of an SLR, but none of the advantages,

GOT IT!!!

Do you only work with Cannon?

I have a high end point and shoot Minolta (dig) and I am very happy with the whites and the colors it captures so I wanted to get another minolta...

Guest pod

Well if you're married to Minolta, there's the Minolta Maxxum 5D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Konica_Minolta/konicaminolta_5d.asp?dontcount=1

It has the same 6.0 effective sensor that the Nikon D70, D70s, Pentax *istD,DS,DL, and the Maxxum 7D have, so your images are essentially gonna be the same physical quality...

However, the nice thing about the Minolta is that it has in-body

image stabilization ... the sensor moves around according to the vibrations from camera movement. Real nice technology. With Canon and Nikon, you have to buy specific lenses to get image stabilization...

The downside to Minolta is that your lens selection otherwise is kinda limited, and there's no "robust" body as of yet...i.e. where Canon has the 1D MkII-series bodies, and Nikon has their D2 series bodies, which are steel and built like tanks, the Minolta is just hardened plastic. Now if you're just shooting family stuff and so forth, the Minolta will hold up nicely, but the Minolta body isn't something you take to Iraq.

I stick with Canon since there's a solid upgrade path to some serious hardware, a huge lens selection, as well as a plethora of accessories like flashes, remotes, grips, etc...plus the sensors are tops in their class for image quality, resolution, noise levels, etc...but you pay a bit more. Also with Canon, a whole host of third-party manufacturers make accessories and lenses. Minolta doesn't have that base right now...Minolta joined the D-SLR race late, and is just getting their game together.

But for just someone who wants a nice camera, the Minolta Maxxum is a nice little unit. Really depends on what you want...

Some links:

www.dpreview.com

www.photo.net

www.steves-digicams.com

Guest pod

Just don't take it into the hot-tub, and a big no-no is changing lenses on the beach.

Other than that, you should be fine. Just don't go to Iraq. ;D