Clubplanet Nightlife Community

MTV VMAs May Not Return To Miami In 2006

Bling

Hurricanes Apparently Playing Factor In Decision

MIAMI -- The MTV Video Music Awards have called Miami home for the last two years, but the award show may not be returning to the Magic City for a third year.

NBC 6's Willard Shepard reported that MTV executives met with Miami officials recently and did not commit to bringing the show back.

While the 2004 VMAs went off without a hitch, the show suffered a major blow in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina hit South Florida. Although the show went on as scheduled, several pre-show parties were canceled.

The MTV executives who pick the show's location recently met with the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau. A bureau official in the meeting told NBC 6 that MTV has voiced concern about the storms and that could prevent the VMAs from coming back in 2006.

Officials at the American Airlines Arena said they do not have a contract with MTV for 2006, but they are still holding dates for the show.

MTV spokesman Graham James released the following statement, "We love Florida and continue to produce shows there. MTV has not made a final decision on where or exactly when the awards show will be held this year. We had a great experience in Miami, but the hurricanes did have an impact on our operation. As with any venue, there are pluses and minuses and we are currently evaluating all of those for any venue. We do not discuss our legal contracts."

The mayors in Miami, Miami Beach and Miami-Dade County all told NBC 6 that MTV has not contacted them about 2006. MTV also has not applied for permits in Miami-Dade County that are required for its productions

Officials at the Convention and Visitors Bureau said they are optimistic they can get the awards show back, saying both shows produced in Miami have been fantastic.

http://www.nbc6.net/entertainment/6598085/detail.html

Guest Funketeer

I think that city of Miami should do something to stop the storms, I don't know...I propose some kind of gamma ray weapon that would blast from Mars all the way to earth and pulverize hurricanes as they worked their way through the Atlantic..I don't...something...goshhh, at least be proactive and futuristic...Miami :P

Guest pussErox

the hell with Mars with all the logistics involved in a safe landing and the rigors of the Martian topography.

i say WE CREATE THE ULTIMATE BATTLESTATION

lol

Guest nightclub buddha

This should come as no surprise...Mtv pretty much had a new location planned for next year by the time their staff touched down back in NYC when they returned from the awards.

yeah its great we wont have the "bad crowds" that come along with this event.... but it will be a hit on our economy. from a financial standpoint it sucks

and it also sucks cuz its was the the biggest event that put miami in the spotlight (besides WMC/MMC)

Guest Adam Singer

video music awards are a joke to begin with

15 year old girls get off on music videos played on mtv

anyone else who likes them is just sad

Guest vegasguy25

yeah its great we wont have the "bad crowds" that come along with this event.... but it will be a hit on our economy. from a financial standpoint it sucks

and it also sucks cuz its was the the biggest event that put miami in the spotlight (besides WMC/MMC)

If that's true, then your Convention and Visitors Authority needs to get up off their asses, and get to work. If one awards show weekend is such a huge part of your overall tourism income for an entire year, then something is wrong.

Guest coach

If that's true, then your Convention and Visitors Authority needs to get up off their asses, and get to work. If one awards show weekend is such a huge part of your overall tourism income for an entire year, then something is wrong.

While this may be a bit of an exaggeratoin, the GMCVB *does* need to get up off its ass and do something with all the money we give it! Suck some dick or whatever it takes. The loss of one large event might what be a huge deal in itself, but if it becomes a trend, that's when it is bad.

Guest rollyp66

You do realize we are hosting the biggest sporting event in the world next year.....

called the Super Bowl.....

Guest vaughan

video music awards are a joke to begin with

15 year old girls get off on music videos played on mtv

anyone else who likes them is just sad

I'm 33 and I shake my rump-shaker to MTV... I can't get enough of my MTV. I am sad...

You do realize we are hosting the biggest sporting event in the world next year.....

We are?

Guest spacecadet

We are?

super bowl will be here 2007 & 2010 and next year we will have the biggest HD TV in the world at pro player

dont know when that dome will be done at the stadium

Guest JMT

We are?

super bowl will be here 2007 & 2010 and next year we will have the biggest HD TV in the world at pro player

thankfully, the dome plan has been scrapped for now.

Guest Sela V

Gee, those "bad crowds" will have to take their "bad money" elsewhere....[$igh]. I say bring in the Polka Kings! They will attract more Canadian tourists wearing Speedos! Lederhosen, anyone?

Guest swank

Gee, those "bad crowds" will have to take their "bad money" elsewhere....[$igh]. I say bring in the Polka Kings! They will attract more Canadian tourists wearing Speedos! Lederhosen, anyone?

speedo wearing tourists with THEIR bad money... :P

Guest rollyp66

We are?

No dome for now

Guest nightclub buddha

I may be wrong, but -Although it is a huge event...the Super Bowl is not biggest sporting event in the world....that would be the WORLD CUP. Which takes place this summer in Germany. Bring on the polka! The Super Bowl is definitely the biggest in the US, though.